Ask MrUmp1 your rules question.

[quote name="hitman009" post="1389314" timestamp="1364395567"]
can a starting player (fielder not batting/being DH for) be a  runner for the Catcher or Pitcher?  What happens if the player is pulled?  can he run then?
[/quote]
No starter can be a courtesy runner, only a player that has never been in the game can be be a coutesy runner. If a starter re enters the game, it must be in the same spot he occupied originally.

[quote name="bulldog16" post="1389300" timestamp="1364393832"]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=35113.msg1388268#msg1388268 date=1364060632]
Yes but only in the same batting order which in your example is for Bill and since Bill has re entered the game Bill would now be out of the game. When a team uses a DH they have 10 starters which all can re enter the game once in the same spot in the batting lineup they were in originally. Also when a DH comes in to play a position if he has never been out of the game, killing the DH, this does not count as a re enter since he has never left the game.
[/quote]
He,he, he, he!!!!!! I remember someone doing this in a big game one time and the opposing coach had no clue it was legal!!!! Classic!
[/quote]
I bet the opposing coach still doesn't understand the rule  lol

[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1389376" timestamp="1364401357"]
[quote author=bulldog16 link=topic=35113.msg1389300#msg1389300 date=1364393832]
[quote author=MrUmp1 link=topic=35113.msg1388268#msg1388268 date=1364060632]
Yes but only in the same batting order which in your example is for Bill and since Bill has re entered the game Bill would now be out of the game. When a team uses a DH they have 10 starters which all can re enter the game once in the same spot in the batting lineup they were in originally. Also when a DH comes in to play a position if he has never been out of the game, killing the DH, this does not count as a re enter since he has never left the game.
[/quote]
He,he, he, he!!!!!! I remember someone doing this in a big game one time and the opposing coach had no clue it was legal!!!! Classic!
[/quote]
I bet the opposing coach still doesn't understand the rule  lol
[/quote]
Probably Not!!!

• 2 weeks later...
Hey ump can you give me the rule on the stopping of a game due to lightning ... just for instance the Central / Lumberton game was Stopped Tuesday night  in the bottom of the 2nd I am not sure of pitch count, outs and such but my question is will they continue from where it stopped? or Start a new game?

The district rule for 20 4A is that it is picked up from where it stopped. Seems that is one of the things a district can have a specific rule on. UIL rules take over when it is a playoff game and from previous times i have been involved with stoppage of a playoff game, it is always resumed and never started over. What we tell our Umpires is you make the call as far as the weather and then if you can not continue the game that night, let the district committee decide how it is to be resumed, not our call.

[quote name="Coach Comeaux" post="1393380" timestamp="1365644777"]
Hey ump can you give me the rule on the stopping of a game due to lightning ... just for instance the Central / Lumberton game was Stopped Tuesday night  in the bottom of the 2nd I am not sure of pitch count, outs and such but my question is will they continue from where it stopped? or Start a new game?
[/quote]

A few years ago they had a dispute in 21-3a.  I don't remember everything exactly, but OF was playing someone and the game got called in the bottom of the 5th with the home team leading.  They went back and finished the game a few days later. 

The very next week HF and BC were playing and the same thing happened.  The HF coach went to the district committee and the rule stated that after 5 innings the game could be called complete.  HF ended up getting the win and didn't have to complete the game. 

Playoff games go by UIL rules, but each individual district can make some of their own rules.  Now if all of the coaches know the rules they voted on is another story.  Personally I think it would make a lot more sense for UIL to set rules for everyone to play by.  Just like some of the tiebreakers for the playoffs in football with every district being different.   

just out of boredom I went back to day 1 of this thread and started reading it all over again.... there are some good questions and answers... and some funny stuff also.... but Hats off to you Mr Ump you may not always see things the way I or anyone else sees them but as long as you call it the same for both sides you will only get a small bit of grief from me :-D  on the serious side... thanks for all your time and energy in answering and digging up the answers for the questions you don't have the answer to.... and for all you wanna be from the stands rule experts ... until you have the balls to get behind the plate and make the call.... give the blues a break ....

Mr.Ump1,I am happy that baseball has gone to the BBCOR bats.I personally know two pitchers that the decision may have saved their lives.That being said,I think the strike-zone by umpires should shrink on the outside corner.With the pre-BBCOR bats a player could hit the ball off the end of the bat and the ball would still jump.Not so with the BBCOR.Players have to move in on the plate to get the sweet spot on the ball.Pitchers start to come inside more which causes more injuries in the game.It kind of defeats the purpose of BBCOR bats.I umpired about twenty years ago and I know it is hard to change your zone.Curious of your thoughts.P.S. Taking away the outside corner would also recover some of the run production lost by the dead bats.

I have never called a strike zone based on what bats are being used. If any part of the ball touches any part of the black of the plate it is a strike. Shrinking the zone will only make batters look for more walks not make them swing the bat more. If you are going to play College or be one of the few to play pro ball, get use to the ball on the edge consistently being called a strike. 

[quote name="scapegoat" post="1394545" timestamp="1366058705"]
Mr.Ump1,I am happy that baseball has gone to the BBCOR bats.I personally know two pitchers that the decision may have saved their lives.That being said,I think the strike-zone by umpires should shrink on the outside corner.With the pre-BBCOR bats a player could hit the ball off the end of the bat and the ball would still jump.Not so with the BBCOR.Players have to move in on the plate to get the sweet spot on the ball.Pitchers start to come inside more which causes more injuries in the game.It kind of defeats the purpose of BBCOR bats.I umpired about twenty years ago and I know it is hard to change your zone.Curious of your thoughts.P.S. Taking away the outside corner would also recover some of the run production lost by the dead bats.
[/quote]Your just kidding....right?? As a X pitchers dad I think they should call black to black, its hard enough to get them to call a pitch that cuts the ether edge...BTW a batter has a club in his hands already.....

As I have always taught my twins and any of the other youngsters I have had the pleasure of coaching... When you get on the Mound or At the plate you have to adjust your swing/pitch to what the Umps box is.... no one sees a pitch the same.... unless your watching it via cam.... but Don the mask and climb behind the catcher and MAKE THAT CALL.... it isn't as easy as you might think.... I for one have respect for the blue... even tho we do not see eye to eye a lot of times (and not just because I'm over 6' tall ) ... but you must consider they have to work a regular job during the day that may or may not of had something go wrong... they have family and events in their life that may or may not effect their psyche... but we expect them to get behind the plate and call a perfect game no matter what is going on in their life and make a snap judgment on a pitch that is moving 70+ ( in most cases even faster ) and get it perfect every time.... If the blue is calling it the same for both sides its no different then 2 football teams playing in a monsoon... they both have to play in the same conditions... who adjusts to it and is more efficient is usually the one that comes out on top... No matter how much training/studying/help the blue gets you can never take Human Error out of the equation.... I am sure I will get roasted over this post... but so be it...

and Just to clarify... no I am not an Ump... Mainly because I would probably be the first one I eject for arguing balls and strikes... LOL

Folks seem to forget a ball that catches the corner could be over a foot off the plate when the catcher recieves it. Your better players will(should) figure out the ump in the first cpl of innings, it used to burn me up late in the game when a batter comes in bitching after getting called out on a low pitch WHEN he has been calling it there ALL nite. An inconsistant umpire is one I would not want behind the plate....I can live with >any< umpires 'zone' if he's consistant

Ok Mr Ump or anyone with the knowledge of answering get your thinking cap out...

What is the ruling on a player playing on the JV Squad and Varsity in the same week?

and on what day does the baseball week end on?

And is there anywhere the rules of the NFHS are posted you don't have to give out greenbacks to acquire??

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="ron10077" post="1399071" timestamp="1367254098"]
Pop up short of first base. First baseman runs up to foul line. Catches ball standing in fair territory. Ball was in foul territory but had not touched ground. Was the ball caught in fair or foul territory?
[/quote]
Going by only the skimpy facts that you state, if the ball is caught, what difference does it make? :o

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name="MrUmp1" post="1394587" timestamp="1366067691"]
I have never called a strike zone based on what bats are being used. If any part of the ball touches any part of the black of the plate it is a strike. Shrinking the zone will only make batters look for more walks not make them swing the bat more. If you are going to play College or be one of the few to play pro ball, get use to the ball on the edge consistently being called a strike.
[/quote]

"If any part of the ball touches any part of the black of the plate it is a strike."  - Really?

NFHS Baseball Rule 2.35 :
"The strike zone is that space over home plate, ... "

Home plate is 17 inches wide. Period. There is no black.

Would you call a runner safe if he only touched the beviled black edge of the plate?

Your answer is going to be something like "That's the way we call it" , "Get used to it because that's they way we call it at the next level". That is BS if you ask me. It's just the Good Old Boy Umpire Club calling what they want regardless of the rule.

• KF89 unpinned and pinned this topic