Friday Night Lights "The Series"..NBC This Fall

I didn't really like the movie' date=' either.......... Although they jacked around with some of the facts in that one as well, it was very well acted and "pulled me into the show"........

That is a good way of putting it. FNL never "pulled me into the show" but I wished it had. I love high school football and I don't care that they changed some minor facts. Poetic license is part of the screen writing. The movie just didn't seem quite right. Maybe it was the acting or the way they switched between scenes.

I don't care anything about hockey but I thought Miracle was a pretty good movie. Hoosiers was a great one and most of the time I could care less about high school basketball. I hate Notre Dame with a passion and I thought Rudy was a good movie. I sure wish the movie about something I love, Texas high school football, would have measured up

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still like it overall, but the changes did bother me a lot. I know people think I'm weird but I think the equipment and uniforms were too modern for the 80's, field turf wasn't invented yet, you could tell every game was shot at Ratliff with the scoreboard just covered up a couple of things, even though Abilene Cooper didn't make the playoffs one of the teams I think it was Nimitz wore their uniforms, the bracket was unrealistic, they called Galena Park North Shore North Shore Galena, and the last time I checked it takes a lot longer than 6 hours to get from Odessa to Houston. But other than that it was great :ROFL

Guest Techsan

Im still not sure if I can call myself a West Texan, but Ive been here 20 years so I guess I qualify.....anyway The folks down in Odessa were extremely displeased with the movie for several reasons, but the main one being that it just didnt represent what really happened during that era. There were definitely too many changes and too many stereotypes included in the movie. The old timers are still upset about the movie, just simply becuase it wasnt good and they didnt think that it actually represented all the tradition and pride in their program. I have had the great privilege of making some of those Permian v. Lee games (havent been to one in about four years since my son now plays HS football) and its not something I think that a camera can catch you just have to be there to experience it. If any of you guys get the chance to go that game do it because it will be something you never forget.

Guest Techsan

Well Coop Permian folks really support their team as does Midland Lee and I have seen Midland and Odessa both literally shut down when the teams are out of town and especially during the playoffs, but even though Ive been gone from home almost 20 years the playoff runs for PNG in the 70's can definitely compare to the atmosphere out here. I know the purple and white is still strong as well as the tradition at Nederland and West Orange, but for the longest time out here EVERYONE in West Texas followed MOJO wherever they went, I dont know if there is anything quite like that in the state.

Guest Techsan

Unfortunately Coop in my opinion its going to take a new coach and a lot of luck, Midland Lee is the big dog in the yard now and everyone wants to go where they are winning. I think Permain needs to find a young coach who can wake up the echoes and start bringing in kids from the region. Whoever doesnt believe that recruiting for HS football still isnt around needs to come spend some time in Midland/Odessa man some of the stories I have heard and confirmed are just beyond belief. So until then I dont see Permian doing too well.

Well Coop Permian folks really support their team as does Midland Lee and I have seen Midland and Odessa both literally shut down when the teams are out of town and especially during the playoffs' date=' but even though Ive been gone from home almost 20 years the playoff runs for PNG in the 70's can definitely compare to the atmosphere out here. I know the purple and white is still strong as well as the tradition at Nederland and West Orange, but for the longest time out here EVERYONE in West Texas followed MOJO wherever they went, I dont know if there is anything quite like that in the state.

Yes, there is. The Nederland-PNG rivalry is every bit as intense as the one between Midland Lee and Odessa. As far as fan support from across the region, I think some of the largest crowds in high school history have been at PNG playoff games such as the 1977 title game of almost 50,000 and the 1999 title game of 40,000. I am not going to say Nederland - PNG is bigger but it certainly right with it.

18_1_101.gif I liked the story line though and the use of real teams in Texas.

Koop, I am with you my friend. It was a good movie and I did not expect it win an academy award when I rented it.

Guest Techsan

TVC I am not negating the fact that PNG/Ned rivalry is not on the same playing ground as the MOJO/Permian rivalry. The point I was trying to make was that at one time an ENTIRE region revolved around MOJO football. I dont think PNG can really claim that. Yea the locals support any team whenever they do well in the playoffs but they always support their team during the regular season and then the local teams in the playoffs. I have seen people in towns 200 miles away come en masse to Permian games. I am just saying I dont know if there is another school in the state that can make a claim like that. To where people in different towns in large groups would rather pull for a team in a different city than the team in their own city.

Guest Uncle Rico

As far as the TV Show, I say it gets cancelled before the end of season.

I will just keep watching the NFL network for my football entertainment.

Friday night lights

In Dillon, Texas, high school football isn’t just a sport, it’s a way of life. This year, the Dillon Panthers are expected to go all the way. That’s a lot of pressure for Eric Taylor in his first year as head coach. Not to mention, the pressure on the athletes who all have their sights set on college and the NFL. Coach Taylor is ready to mold these boys into champions and encourage them to be better men. Will they rise to the challenge?

NBC.com weekly exclusives include Julie Taylor’s "Video Yearbook" chronicling life on and off campus, as well as on and off the football field

rumor has it that mack brown plays a booster in one of the episodes

cast:

Cast

Kyle Chandler /Coach Eric Taylor

Connie Britton/ Tami Taylor

Zach Gilford/ Matt Saracen

Adrianne Palicki /Tyra Collette

Jesse Plemons/ Landry Clarke

Minka Kelly/ Lyla Garrity

Scott Porter/ Jason Street

Aimee Teegarden/ Julie Taylor

Gaius Charles/ Brian Williams

Taylor Kitsch/ Tim Riggins

Studio

NBC Universal Television Studio

Imagine Television

Executive Producer/Writer/Director

Peter Berg Friday Night Lights, Chicago Hope

Executive Producer

Brian Grazer The Da Vinci Code, A Beautiful Mind

Executive Producer

David Nevins Arrested Development

• 2 weeks later...

Friday Night Lights: The Series

This Fall NBC will debut FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS in a TV series. It's going to be interesting to see how they plan to pull this off. Here is how they are portrying it:

"In Dillon, Texas, high school football isn’t just a sport, it’s a way of life. This year, the Dillon Panthers are expected to go all the way. That’s a lot of pressure for Eric Taylor in his first year as head coach. Not to mention, the pressure on the athletes who all have their sights set on college and the NFL. Coach Taylor is ready to mold these boys into champions and encourage them to be better men. Will they rise to the challenge? "

------------

Other than that, I don't know much, but like I read on another board, "I really hope they don't dumb it all down with 90210-like teen angst and stick to the football."

It will debut October 3 and will be aired on Tuesday nights at 7 PM. It will be produced by Jason Katims who was part of "My so Called Life" (ughhhh) and "Roswell".

Here is the NBC link:

http://www.nbc.com/NBC_First_Look/Friday_Night_Lights/

Here is a link with some vid clips:

http://www.tv.com/show/58137/summary.html

----------------

What do you think? Will you watch it? Do you think THSF will be portrayed in a postitive or negative manner. Will it even matter?

Interesting they are putting it on a NON FOOTBALL NIGHT too. Smart move. No NFL, no NCAA, no HS football on Tuesday nights.

-----------------

The series is being filmed in Austin... and is apparently making a pretty good stir:

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/news/2006/friday_night_lights.htm

Friday Night Lights: The Series

.........................Other than that' date=' I don't know much, but like I read on another board, "[b']I really hope they don't dumb it all down with 90210-like teen angst and stick to the football."

...............................................What do you think? Will you watch it? Do you think THSF will be portrayed in a postitive or negative manner. Will it even matter?

Thinking this is going to really be about Texas high school football is about like thinking Titanic (1997) was a documentary about the actual disaster or that Survivor (CBS) really is about who could survive in the wilderness.

This has teen soap opera written all over it. They will show enough football so they can develop the players/jocks but I suspect that is about it.

Thinking this is going to really be about Texas high school football is about like thinking Titanic (1997) was a documentary about the actual disaster or that Survivor (CBS) really is about who could survive in the wilderness.

This has teen soap opera written all over it. They will show enough football so they can develop the players/jocks but I suspect that is about it.

You are probably right. Not to mention it will have some Varsity Blues cues in it.

My brother played for Nederland 55,56,57 and they played OP they were a really tough team. also when I lived in Alpine I had to go to Odessa for Chemo every week,and odessa P is in the middle of town and their student parking lot had black & whire stop signs (team colors)

My brother played for Nederland 55' date='56,57 and they played OP they were a really tough team. also when I lived in Alpine I had to go to Odessa for Chemo every week,and odessa P is in the middle of town and their student parking lot had [b']black & whire stop signs (team colors)

Thats pretty cool. :D

• 3 months later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder