J'Covan Brown And Tramain Thomas Nominated

Guest Ozen

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

college basketball coaches dont care about HIGHSCHOOL basketball its all about AAU baby

Good point! Some kids now don't play high school basketball and the college scouts are looking at them. But people need to understand another side of this scenario. There are teams trying to get to Vegas to play in the tournaments there. But end up in some gym off the main highway of college recruiting where nobody see them play.

Guest DickVitale

college basketball coaches dont care about HIGHSCHOOL basketball its all about AAU baby

Good point! Some kids now don't play high school basketball and the college scouts are looking at them. But people need to understand another side of this scenario. There are teams trying to get to Vegas to play in the tournaments there. But end up in some gym off the main highway of college recruiting where nobody see them play.

AAU stuff is crap!! Those players are learning NOTHING in the summer circuit and it becomes a pain to the high school coaches to break those bad summer league habits...It is ONLY good that they get to play in the summer time and that is it, but heck, they can PLAY in open gym every day so if you ask me, AAU is a way for the wanna be coaches to attempt to exploit these kids for their own personal gain..Then try to take credit for what that high school coach has done all along..They make me sick!! >:(

Guest nostradamus
AAU stuff is crap!! Those players are learning NOTHING in the summer circuit and it becomes a pain to the high school coaches to break those bad summer league habits...It is ONLY good that they get to play in the summer time and that is it, but heck, they can PLAY in open gym every day so if you ask me, AAU is a way for the wanna be coaches to attempt to exploit these kids for their own personal gain..Then try to take credit for what that high school coach has done all along..They make me sick!!

AMEN!  AMEN! and can I get an AMEN!!

There are two plausible solutions to kill the dirty infested rat known as AAU:

1)  The only reason AAU is the monster that it is is because of the times of year that colleges and universities can contact and recruit players.  The spring and summer time is the time of year that these guys do most of their recruiting.  There was a need to be able to see players play and AAU filled it.  If the NCAA changed/altered the dates that potential recruits could be contacted then AAU would not be as monstrous as it is.......it would still exist but not in as near a controlling manner as it does now.

2)  The most sensible solution would be for the UIL to allow school coaches to coach their kids during the summer.  I realize this would create somewhat of a "rat race" as far as school ball goes but, at least the kids would be getting instruction from their hired coaches who for the majority have the kid's best interest at heart as opposed to some "joe schmoe" who thinks he knows basketball and is looking to just ride the coattails of the extremely talented kids. 

Guest DickVitale

what did J'Covan do to get suspended?

He took off his jersey at the end of the Humble game (1st district game back in Dec.) out of frustration, Coach Henderson benched him, and then they exchanged words after the game...short version.

AAU stuff is crap!! Those players are learning NOTHING in the summer circuit and it becomes a pain to the high school coaches to break those bad summer league habits...It is ONLY good that they get to play in the summer time and that is it, but heck, they can PLAY in open gym every day so if you ask me, AAU is a way for the wanna be coaches to attempt to exploit these kids for their own personal gain..Then try to take credit for what that high school coach has done all along..They make me sick!! >:(

This is the reason why I like AAU ball and yes there are some coaches whoo ride the coattails of players, but some high school coaches have been known to do the same thing with their players. I remember asking a very highly successful player last summer what was the biggest advantage for him going to Houston to play AAU?

He said because he played so many games under pressure situations and so many different style players, when the high school season rolled around, it was easier for him to play the game. The game is truly different when you play AAU compettion vs YMCA/Rec leagues.

Guest stevenash

Am obviously getting on yours.  Thanks and have a nice day.  By the way, when was it that Dickie and I had you in the conversation?  I've got to be careful not to smudge my clearasil on this post.

AAU...good for some kids, and not so good for others.  If the individual kid can understand it is a way for him to gain exposure for the next level, BUT only for that purpose, it can be a positive experience.  The problem occurs when the kid can't handle the attention, becomes selfish, cocky, and his h.s. experience becomes lackluster.  Some kids worry about the next level, but forget about the level they are in.  Work habits suffer and the importance of their high school team becomes minimal....i've seen it and it is sad because what happens is the kid becomes satisfied where their skill level is, and as you know ,you do not stay the same, you either get better or worse.  What happens next??? The kids who were not as good at one time have stayed hungry and passed the "AAU" kid up...and it is over, the kid wondered what happened and everyone saw it coming, but HIM.  The kid then moves on to the city leagues and becomes a stud......the problem??? WHO CARES...Not that AAU scout or coach !!!!

Guest DickVitale

My problem with AAU is it only benefits that #1 or #2 kid on the high school squad..What about kids 3-14? Those AAU sharks wantto deal exclusively with the studs...They don't want to put in work with those "other" kids, they want the J'covan Browns and the DeCarlos Franks and the Jamar Gulleys of the basketball world..Those kids can already play, why not attempt to develop the other kids that are not already on the front of the sports page?  I had this convo with John Lucas last summer, and he completely agreed with me..He told me that a few years back, my dad set him straight about area high school coaches and their roles in players development...He said that he could tell who my dad was, too!! :D :D...Anyway, that is what I hate about the AAU circuit..It really is not beneficial to the kids and only a select few reap ANY rewards from AAU ball.

My problem with AAU is it only benefits that #1 or #2 kid on the high school squad..What about kids 3-14? Those AAU sharks wantto deal exclusively with the studs...They don't want to put in work with those "other" kids, they want the J'covan Browns and the DeCarlos Franks and the Jamar Gulleys of the basketball world..Those kids can already play, why not attempt to develop the other kids that are not already on the front of the sports page?  I had this convo with John Lucas last summer, and he completely agreed with me..He told me that a few years back, my dad set him straight about area high school coaches and their roles in players development...He said that he could tell who my dad was, too!! :D :D...Anyway, that is what I hate about the AAU circuit..It really is not beneficial to the kids and only a select few reap ANY rewards from AAU ball.

Excellent points.

Excellent points.

Good points! AAU ball isn't designed for development. It's designed for kids who already have skills to go out and perform.  I think a lot of coaches fear AAU because of the seemingly constant threat of losing some control over their players. There are some kids who do not play high school ball but only AAU. Now don't get me wrong, all of you have very valid points.

AAU...good for some kids, and not so good for others.  If the individual kid can understand it is a way for him to gain exposure for the next level, BUT only for that purpose, it can be a positive experience.  The problem occurs when the kid can't handle the attention, becomes selfish, cocky, and his h.s. experience becomes lackluster.  Some kids worry about the next level, but forget about the level they are in.   Work habits suffer and the importance of their high school team becomes minimal....i've seen it and it is sad because what happens is the kid becomes satisfied where their skill level is, and as you know ,you do not stay the same, you either get better or worse.  What happens next??? The kids who were not as good at one time have stayed hungry and passed the "AAU" kid up...and it is over, the kid wondered what happened and everyone saw it coming, but HIM.  The kid then moves on to the city leagues and becomes a stud......the problem??? WHO CARES...Not that AAU scout or coach !!!!

I agree with your statements 100%. AAU is good to gain exposure and prepare for the next level. But this is what you have to be concerned about and I see it often. Some of these kids are good are at a very young  age and people are already in their face giving them props. And I'm talking about kids who are not in high school yet. Somebody needs to be there to make sure that kid understand he still has to study, go to school and take out the trash. I also feel a player should keep improving on his/her game, because kids mature at different times.

Additionally, there  is no way a son of mine is going to act a fool by taking off his shirt during a game without him already knowing the serious consequences he is going to face when I see him next to me. I'll beat that a&^zz!

Actually Bluedove, that is the answer, and was back in the day, and has not changed.  The problem is the parents of today don't take care of their kids problems early....Do it , let them know who is in control and let them know when they are wrong, and the key is ...don't let them forget! They will be better for it in the long run. Some parents tend to live through their kids. When this happens kids get spoiled, don't learn humility and become chronic whiners, soft sometimes and think someone owes them something......Not Good....Recipe for ...FAILURE !!!!

Has anyone heard of Jarvis Benard??? he should defenitly been nominated over Tramain Thomas.... He is 10 times better than TT will ever be! ;D

u are crazy dont get me wrong jarvis is good but he is not as good as TT and  he is to small to play with the top players in the coutry he is very skilled but he would get pushed around in the AA game

Wow.... haha al Tramian Thomas is a big hipe don't get me wrong the kid is goos but he will NEVER EVER be as good as Jarvis..... Football is defenitly his sport not basketball

Actually Bluedove, that is the answer, and was back in the day, and has not changed.  The problem is the parents of today don't take care of their kids problems early....Do it , let them know who is in control and let them know when they are wrong, and the key is ...don't let them forget! They will be better for it in the long run. Some parents tend to live through their kids. When this happens kids get spoiled, don't learn humility and become chronic whiners, soft sometimes and think someone owes them something......Not Good....Recipe for ...FAILURE !!!!

And that's the reason Tramain Thomas is an asset on any court, on any field, on any team. Congratulations Carla and Billy Thomas, on a job well done!! We've all enjoyed watching a great kid accomplish great athletic feats. And as for the "hype" comments — you're all wet. The athletes you're promoting may be better than Tramain. Who really knows? But few, if any of us supporting EC, really care. We've had fun and won't soon forget what Tramain Thomas has done for the EC athletic program.

And that's the reason Tramain Thomas is an asset on any court, on any field, on any team. Congratulations Carla and Billy Thomas, on a job well done!! We've all enjoyed watching a great kid accomplish great athletic feats. And as for the "hype" comments — you're all wet. The athletes you're promoting may be better than Tramain. Who really knows? But few, if any of us supporting EC, really care. We've had fun and won't soon forget what Tramain Thomas has done for the EC athletic program.

Good point MT. I've heard the kid has some good supporting parents. Hmmm? A super star and I've never heard him acting up with an ego.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder