Houston Mayor John Whitmire Says City Is “Broke” After Decades of Overspending!!

Reagan

24 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Whitmire seems to be a rational, good guy. The former Dem mayor Sylvester Turner wrecked the city with his corruption. 

That’s how it goes with the majority of Dem mayors in large cities.  Just like biden, they have no clue.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2024 at 2:54 PM, Reagan said:

Wait, a Dem with some sense?!  They are broke because of over spending and not because they are under taxed?  WOW!!  The Federal government needs a few Dems like this!  

This is the hidden content, please

@Big girl  @UT alum  @Boyz N Da Hood

Yet, the city just settled with firefighters for millions. Check your source

52 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Yet, the city just settled with firefighters for millions. Check your source

Settled with money the city does not have.  Firefighters deserve the money, but Turner was a horrible financial mayor as was his predecessor.  He left Whitmire a horrible situation. 

Will either need a federal bail out (not appropriate ever for any city or municipality) or cut at least 5% from almost all areas of spending (something Whitmire has proposed).

As  someone who works in the city, I pray it improves,  but have little hope for it. 

12 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Settled with money the city does not have.  Firefighters deserve the money, but Turner was a horrible financial mayor as was his predecessor.  He left Whitmire a horrible situation. 

Will either need a federal bail out (not appropriate ever for any city or municipality) or cut at least 5% from almost all areas of spending (something Whitmire has proposed).

As  someone who works in the city, I pray it improves,  but have little hope for it. 

How do you settle if you don't have the money? It is confusing. How long will it take to rectify the situation? What did Turner do to cause the problem?

On 4/1/2024 at 7:21 PM, Separation Scientist said:

Whitmire seems to be a rational, good guy. The former Dem mayor Sylvester Turner wrecked the city with his corruption. 

I voted for him. 

From someone who lives in Houston The amount of infrastructure updates and upgrades needed astonish me. 

There was a water lines.....Good lord they're 100+ years old.  

26 minutes ago, Big girl said:

How do you settle if you don't have the money? It is confusing. How long will it take to rectify the situation? What did Turner do to cause the problem?

Simply to save money as odd as that may sound. If it had gone to arbitration, the cost would likely have been substantially more.  Thus, payout and cut elsewhere or default.  

Turner spent money without truly having a good handle on revenue or simply didn't care as it would be someone else's problem when he left office. There are numerous articles all over the internet on this from right and left leaning publications.  Many democrats were happy he was term limited.  

25 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Simply to save money as odd as that may sound. If it had gone to arbitration, the cost would likely have been substantially more.  Thus, payout and cut elsewhere or default.  

Turner spent money without truly having a good handle on revenue or simply didn't care as it would be someone else's problem when he left office. There are numerous articles all over the internet on this from right and left leaning publications.  Many democrats were happy he was term limited.  

Houston is outgrowing itself

20 minutes ago, Big girl said:

Houston is outgrowing itself

The growth is mostly in suburbs.  From 2020 to 2022 the CITY'S growth was less than 2000, yes 2000, I am not missing a 0. 

Ms. Big you can find all the liberal opinion pieces you wish.  I gave a very non-political and accurate statement that includes pointing to what the new DEMOCRAT mayor is proposing.  Turner and others made financial bad moves, REPUBLICANS do as well.   

I now see why I was right in not engaging you while others argue with you daily on here.  Sometimes a fact is a fact.  There is no MY truth.  Yes you will have the last word.  Enjoy your day.

4 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

The growth is mostly in suburbs.  From 2020 to 2022 the CITY'S growth was less than 2000, yes 2000, I am not missing a 0. 

Ms. Big you can find all the liberal opinion pieces you wish.  I gave a very non-political and accurate statement that includes pointing to what the new DEMOCRAT mayor is proposing.  Turner and others made financial bad moves, REPUBLICANS do as well.   

I now see why I was right in not engaging you while others argue with you daily on here.  Sometimes a fact is a fact.  There is no MY truth.  Yes you will have the last word.  Enjoy your day.

I wasn't arguing with you. I was just trying to figure out what's going on,  and what Turner was spending things on.