Spawning Bass

rleefelt

I start wade fishing the north sides of the coves behind the buck brush mid march every year at Rayburn. and tear them up. But the water level has been about 5 feet low and holding for some time now. And the buck brush is now on land. so it may be interesting to see what they do with the water level between now and then.

Bass start moving in as early as late January and as late as April.  The bigger bass will usually spawn earlier, but some will go up during the later waves.  As for Rayburn being so low, what they are doing is they allowing for grass to grow in the shallow areas and then the water will rise back up to the normal levels to where are the new grass has grown.  By doing this, it allows bait fish to feed on the grass and have protection and the bass have food to eat on while spawning.  It might seem pointless at the beginning, but later on it will benifit.

Bass start moving in as early as late January and as late as April.  The bigger bass will usually spawn earlier, but some will go up during the later waves.  As for Rayburn being so low, what they are doing is they allowing for grass to grow in the shallow areas and then the water will rise back up to the normal levels to where are the new grass has grown.  By doing this, it allows bait fish to feed on the grass and have protection and the bass have food to eat on while spawning.  It might seem pointless at the beginning, but later on it will benifit.

Do you have any inside scoop on when they will start raising the level of the lake. Because I was wanting to set a couple of trotlines. I use weights and jugs as tie points. and if the level rises to fast. It floats the weights. And I don't like having to much slack in the lines. Knowing when the level will be raised again would help.  I look at the web sight (USGS Real Time Data) everyday but it don't give a forcast of any raising or lowering of the lake levels.

I have no idea on when they are going to raise the water levels.  I am sorry that I can not help you CATS80.  I think they might just let rain water raise it as much as it can possible and then raise it the rest of the way if the rain can't get it back up to normal level.  Only advice I can give you on trotlines is either to take a chance or you could use noodles.  Sorry I was not more helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name="643DP" post="315915" timestamp="1200402194"]
Sorry guys, I just started a new thread about the same thing.
It sounds like mid-Febuary though ?
[/quote]

That is a good place to start but I think a little later for it to start getting heavy.

• 4 weeks later...

Surface temp yesterday was 64F in my privatate lake at work.  Caught 6 fish in about an hour and lost 3, one of them a big fish.  Found a few very new beds being made and had one about 5lbs that was red on the tail.  All fish were over 3 lbs.

Rayburn and Toledo should be close to the early spawners.  I would expect if the temp stays in the 70's during the day they will move to beds by end of month and into March.

Falcon Lake has already started seeing spawning bass.  Temp down there last week were 98F for 2 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Rayburn Sunday and there are some small fish that have moved in, but not a lot.  Most of the fish are still in the  Pre-spawn phase.  Give it another week and it should start getting a little better.  I caught a 5lb bass on a carolina rig lizard trolling.  Just give it a week or so.

• 2 weeks later...

Fished small local tourny on big Sam this Sunday.  Mid lake area - still no fish on beds in that area yet (maybe pushed off a bit after cold front).  Caught good fish (keepers to 4 1/2 lbs) in 3-4' heavy grass.  Also good numbers of smaller fish off secondary points.  Also got reports from south end of lake (Mill Creek area) not on beds yet.

Was up at Toledo Bend about 2 weeks ago and the surface temperature was anywhere from 54 to 59 deg. F. depending on where I was at the time. The wind, however, was at least 20 mph sustained and gusted much higher at times. Only stayed a little while in those conditions and caught only one bass. It was a male but in deep water, in the middle of a cove, and was not on any bed. We have had a recent cold snap and it is still pretty cold in the mornings so I hope the span will start soon if it has not already started.

• 2 weeks later...

im gonna be fishing in a tourn. out of caney creek this weekend and was wondering what kind of action has been happening on that end of the lake i havent fished rayburn in about a month and when i did i was on the south end. any advice would be helpful. i know the fish are close to spawn if not already started. Was just wondering?

im gonna be fishing in a tourn. out of caney creek this weekend and was wondering what kind of action has been happening on that end of the lake i havent fished rayburn in about a month and when i did i was on the south end. any advice would be helpful. i know the fish are close to spawn if not already started. Was just wondering?

Fish should be on beds by now.  Caney Creek is mid lake and you shouldn't have to travel much at all.  Get some good sunglasses and keep your eyes on the banks.  Good luck and let us know how it went!

Well we hit the banks hard early fri. mornin and caught a few solid fish but nothing great. It's not like it was last year this time. Honestly dont think larger fish have moved up yet. Everyone that we talked to including us backed out and caught there better fish in 6 to 10ft. of water mostly on traps and carolina rig.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder