"Sit down!" fights

Guest Kelly Football

Guest Kelly Football

"Sit down!" fights

The classic "sit down you jerk, I'm trying to watch the game!" vs. "I paid money, that's my kid out there jerk, I'll stand up if I want!" stuff has played out at 4 of the last 6 games I've attended.

It's really amazing at how consistent it's becoming. At the SLC-AHS game I sat right in front of a couple parents who were very into the game (as they should be, IMO) and actively on their feet, cheering, etc. Of course, a few folks behind them start mouthing off... suggesting they sit down, talking about how far they drove to be at the game, etc. It quickly became the usual deal where both parties are popping off loudly and begging for a confrontation while everyone around them snickers and tries to avoid getting hit with a cheap shot haymaker, should one fly.

IMO, you shouldn't come to a big-time playoff game, sit right in the middle of fans (many of whom are PARENTS), and expect those around you to sit down... ESPECIALLY in a place like Texas Stadium where there are literally tons of empty seats within a short walking distance. The one exception that I make is that I try to go ahead and stay seated (or find another seat, more likely) if I'm in front of an elderly person who looks like they'd have trouble standing. Am I in the wrong here?

I guess I'm just really baffled at how frequently it seems to be happening the last couple years... anybody else noticing this?

That has been going on forever. If you stand to cheer when appropriate there should be no problem. I personally think it is rude to just stand to watch the entire game, or at least most of it, while standing  in front of other spectators. If it is an intense part of the game and everyone is standing for an entire series of downs or until the ball is turned over then I say go with the flow. However, if one or two or so want to whatch the game standing then they should be the one to find another place that is not blocking the game from other patrons. Just my oppinion.

• 2 weeks later...

The main problem I had with this type of thing was when we'd take my niece, who is in a wheelchair, to a game.  Haven't you people ever heard of eating at home before the game?  There does not need to be a constant stream of people going to and from the concession stand.  Please note, lots of people like to watch the bands, too.  Also, go sit yourself down on a bleacher seat.  Don't hang on the rail.  My niece, who is six, complained because all she got to see was butts.  If you have younger kids and they aren't able to sit through the game, find them a babysitter and leave them at home.  They don't need to be hanging on the rails either.

The main problem I had with this type of thing was when we'd take my niece, who is in a wheelchair, to a game.  Haven't you people ever heard of eating at home before the game?  There does not need to be a constant stream of people going to and from the concession stand.  Please note, lots of people like to watch the bands, too.  Also, go sit yourself down on a bleacher seat.  Don't hang on the rail.  My niece, who is six, complained because all she got to see was butts.  If you have younger kids and they aren't able to sit through the game, find them a babysitter and leave them at home.  They don't need to be hanging on the rails either.

I'm sure many of those people you refer to sat in their seats till half time, and then moved towards the restrooms during thi time. I would almost bet that these same people went to the bathroom prior to leaving home. Sometimes, mother nature has it's own clock.

In basketball and football there is an unwritten rule. 

standing rules in Basketball

1. fast break

2. clutch free throws

3. starting linup

4. national anthem

5. a rimracking dunk

Football

1. Touchdown

2. Long run/pass

3. Winning drive in the 4th

Other than this, there should be no standing. 

Something that will get you told something by BMTSoulja at the game

1. standing up talking to your friends

2. walking this way looking for a seat and THERE ARE NONE!

3. standing up to go to the consessions 3 times a period/quarter

4. Standing up to chase your bad children.  :D

I'm sure many of those people you refer to sat in their seats till half time, and then moved towards the restrooms during thi time. I would almost bet that these same people went to the bathroom prior to leaving home. Sometimes, mother nature has it's own clock.

You'd be very wrong about this.  It starts with the game and just doesn't stop.  Perhaps you'd like to sit in the handicap section with us sometime and try it on for size. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298