Silsbee 71 Hamshire-Fannett 57/FINAL

5 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Rice probably should have had at least 15. Was the difference of Silsbee winning this one by 20 or more.

Yeah lots of layups missed by the entire team tonight. If the goal is to win state, you have to convert under the goal. Wasnt to happy about Silsbee's defense tonight either. We just took around and watch Hamshire-Fannett drive the ball and they hit some wide open 3s. 

This win sends Silsbee to their 16th regional tournament in last 20 seasons.

Only 4 times in that span that Silsbee didn't make regional tourney was 2006, 2011, 2013 and 2014.

This is their 10th consecutive regional tournament. ('15, '16, '17, '18. '19, '20, '21, '22, '23, '24)

A win vs. Wheatley Friday will put the Tigers playing in their 14th regional final in the past 20 seasons.

Been a pretty descent two decades for Silsbee.

11 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

This win sends Silsbee to their 16th regional tournament in last 20 seasons.

Only 4 times in that span that Silsbee didn't make regional tourney was 2006, 2011, 2013 and 2014.

This is their 10th consecutive regional tournament. ('15, '16, '17, '18. '19, '20, '21, '22, '23, '24)

A win vs. Wheatley Friday will put the Tigers playing in their 14th regional final in the past 20 seasons.

Been a pretty descent two decades for Silsbee.

They are a “blue blood” of Texas HS basketball. Rarefied air to be sure. 

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I believe one can safely say that 4A Region III in the last 20 seasons runs thru Silsbee.

Since the turn of the century, they would have to be top 10-20 in the state, regardless of classification.  Haven’t sat down to make such a list but no way they aren’t in that conversation. 

Thank goodness Mr. Elam picked this night to have his standout game.  He was the difference.  It's great to see him have a night like this when it mattered so much.   Gotta love that. 

Tonight was kind of an all's well that ends well for Silsbee.  Obviously the Tigers were in a funk but they did advance.  A little scare now and then maybe isn't a bad thing.  

And this is where it ends for the Horns.  They had great season and they had their moments tonight and they can hold their heads high.  

Interesting to see La Vega give Wheatley something of a game.  That's encouraging.  Washington beat Wheatley by only 12 in their last meeting.  Wash led 66 - 44 going into the last stanza.  Too close to pull the starters.  And then Wheatley closed the gap against those starters falling 78 - 66.

On the positive side, the Tigers held HF to just 6 points for the rest of the game after they pulled to within 5.

Sometimes you have to win ugly.

We really need to be more careful with the charges though. That's really an avoidable foul and it's usually Miller or Harris that does it. There's a reason why they sometimes just stand there and give up layups. They can't risk getting another foul called.

I swear somebody from Palestine put a curse on Rice for dunking on that boy like that the last game lol.

56 minutes ago, Tigers94 said:

On the positive side, the Tigers held HF to just 6 points for the rest of the game after they pulled to within 5.

True.  I really thought we might be seeing an upset coming.  But then it was like the Tigers said, "Okay, enough's enough."  And the Longhorns replied, "Right.  Never mind."  It felt that way in the arena too.  A kind of communal agreement on both sides, "Way to go Horns!  You pulled to within 5.  Great game."   And while there was still over 4 minutes to play.  Kind of anticlimactic.  

I truly hope this was the Tigers bad game in this tournament....Happy to see Elam put up a great game, it was the difference....I think we can beat Wheatley with a solid performance.....on the other hand i'm wondering can Chapel Hill pull the upset on Washington....would love to see Silsbee vs Washington matchup for all the marbles with a trip to state on the line  

10 hours ago, JimThorpe said:

True.  I really thought we might be seeing an upset coming.  But then it was like the Tigers said, "Okay, enough's enough."  And the Longhorns replied, "Right.  Never mind."  It felt that way in the arena too.  A kind of communal agreement on both sides, "Way to go Horns!  You pulled to within 5.  Great game."   And while there was still over 4 minutes to play.  Kind of anticlimactic.  

I disagree with this wording. That implies the horns sort of gave up. The truth of the matter is they had 5 players, no bench help at all imo, appeared to give it everything they had, but silsbee made more plays, especially Harris at the end and Elam throughout. With no bench or true post, defeating the Tigers isn’t going to happen. It was a fun game and great effort but I wouldn’t imply that those 5 nor the staff “communally agreed” to give up. Harris just took over, which is what one would expect a Memphis commit to do in such settings.