Montgomery Lake Creek (27) vs Port Neches-Groves (30) - FINAL

jdawg03

Another game to put in that PNG memory bank. Great crowd which was loud all night, Defense played a great game they didn't dominate the LC team but they made some great plays and beat a very good team, interested too see stats, particularly on LC's #21  compared to his stats in other games. He's a real hoss and will be playing at the next level if he wants to. Their coaching staff made some good calls ( I was impressed with the screen on the goal line the guy was wide open fooled everyone ) I've seen a lot of great high school games but this an instant classic on a perfect night for football, thanks to both of teams for great entertainment.

25 minutes ago, 1970 said:

Explain that one to me please. The announcer on the PA system (a very good announcer btw) says "loss of down" on the intentional grounding. I don't recall hearing the ref's call, his field mic was on-and-off all evening. Well, as it turns out, LC didn't lose a down. The penalty was on 1st down, and the next play was 2nd instead of 3rd. Then they got a 3rd down, and a 4th down. There was no loss of a down. 

There was a loss of down. Normally, if you accept a penalty the team replays the down and loses the penalty yardage.  If you decline the penalty it becomes second down, but the ball is placed at the most recent dead ball spot. With intentional grounding you lose that current down and the yardage. The loss of down was first down. Essentially it’s the same idea of being sacked. However, I did think it was a long time before they started running the clock.

6 hours ago, rolltides said:

I think Lake Creek has one left.

So here's what appears to have happened looking back on the game it appears the timeout in the 3rd quarter was actually granted as an officials time out although legal in the rules it effectively gave lake creek a "4th" time out even though it didn't matter at the end 

16 minutes ago, JSnipes said:

He muffed it in the field of play and the ball rolled into the end zone. I might be wrong, but I believe a touch back is void at that point so he had to return it.

He never had control of the ball in the field of play, so he could have kneeled for a touchback.  That play changed the game.