Why do we suck?

LUFAN

My thoughts on the subject.

1. We have no heart. This is the 2nd game in a row that we should have won, but we blew it down the stretch.

2. We have no on court leadership.

3. We have no coaching leadership.

4. We make way to many stupid decisions with the ball.

5. We play very sloppy and weak with the ball.

6. We cannot finish games.

Why is this? I am not sure, but I am tired of going to these games and being frustrated with our play. I do not know how we can win games when we through the ball away as much as we do. I do not see this team crashing the boards. We have a bunch of big bodies who will not get in and rebound the ball. Our shot selection is poor. Last year LS was the man but this year he is not scoring well. CT is a ball hog and turns the ball over way to much to even step foot on the floor. I am not sure but I do not think that any of his shots even hit the rim or the back board. Lastly, when we were down at the end of the game, we were not pushing the ball. We were waiting. We ran way to much time off the clock and it killed us.

Roc needs to come up with answers or this team is going to have a long year with very little support from our area and students at Lamar.

LUFan - you're being short sighted and a tad harsh on the Cards.  LU does not suck.  You have new talent that is learning to play D-I basketball.  It takes time.  The coaches will blend the talent and find out who wants to play both ends of the court when the popcorn is popping and the fans pay money to watch the game.  You can't replicate the speed and play of D-I basketball in practice or against DII, DIII, or NAIA schools.  LU will be fine in the long run.  Just roll with the ups and downs of the non-conference schedule.  Get them ready to play the SLC league schedule.  Just need to find kids who will be committed to playing defense, rebounding, and playing scrappy.

Hang in there.  Peace.

Guest coachacola

ORU played man-to-man most of the game and Lamar had a hard time getting the ball inside.  ORU had 21 FT attempts, LU only 8.  Without a good inside game, the guards are getting worn out.  Dawkins and Hopkins are playing almost the entire game, and they are getting worn out.  Their shots stopped falling near the end of the game.  Worrell had a decent game, but Brown didn't even play.  I hate to say it but they miss JD's inside game.  Hopefully Worrell, Brown and Nabors will improve quickly.

To be completely honest Nuevo is the best inside player right now. He should be starting. He has been doing well inside. Everyone keeps saying Custer needs to step up, but he has not even played in the last few games. The one person that really drives me off the wall is Curry Todd. This kid should not be playing D1 basketball.

When JD left, Roc should have assigned a coach to Custer.

1. Teach him how to post up low.

2. Then shooting over his defender.

THATS IT...

we don't need Custer to dribble, we don't need him to do anything except post low and play defense.

We aren't talking rocket sciences to learn 1 and 2.

Guest coachacola

When JD left, Roc should have assigned a coach to Custer.

1. Teach him how to post up low.

2. Then shooting over his defender.

THATS IT...

we don't need Custer to dribble, we don't need him to do anything except post low and play defense.

We aren't talking rocket sciences to learn 1 and 2.

It's not that simple.  Custer doesn't have the raw talent to step in as a redshirt freshman and play at the D1 level.  It's going to take him a year to two.

I do think part of Sanders' problem is that he's undersized as a power forward.  Last year with JD in the paint, Sanders wasn't drawing all the attention and was more effective.  This year he's the main man inside, and at his size, it's tougher for him to score. 

Once Nwevo, Worrell and Brown get comfortable with their roles inside and get more games under the belts, this team will get better.  This team is basically only returning two starters from last year: Sanders and DHop.  Todd and Barrow may have started a lot of games last year, but that was more out of necessity.  There's a lot of new talent on this team that Roc has to  work with and find the right combinations.  I know I'm guilty of focusing on the talent coming in and underestimating the time it takes to blend it into a great team.

Guest abovetherim

Okay, the 24 hrs have passed and I still can't find anything positive to say about the game. Except chatting with Brittney Williams and Brandon McThay's girlfriend was a treat. They are both beautiful young ladies, pleasant, well grounded and friendly. Brandon's girlfriend use to run track at Lamar but is a regular student now. Brittney was so nice to us. She caught one of the T-shirts the guys throw out to the crowd during time-outs and at half-time and gave it to GiGi (Virginia, my wife). She is a credit to the Ladies Basketball team. She is not only a great basketball player but a great role-model to those young kids like mine. It was a pleasure getting to know Miss Williams.

Now Rook, keep your head up. Believe in yourself and don't think about the crowd, your girlfriend, friends or anyone else at the games. Play the game like you are capable of and the coaching staff will see your value to the team.

Kind of like the game versus UTA a couple years ago. If you didn't play so well the Cardinals would have lost the game. Go get em Rook!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder