Has Been Sports Area Power Rankings

39 minutes ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

We’ll see. BC plays Orangefield then travels to the Dayton Tournament this week. Two of us vote on this and we feel they do belong. 

Do you think the Dayton tournament has really good teams in it?  Why is Bridge City intentionally laying low with the qualify of their schedule? Losing to Sterling is not a good loss. 

4 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

Do you think the Dayton tournament has really good teams in it?  Why is Bridge City intentionally laying low with the qualify of their schedule? Losing to Sterling is not a good loss. 

What teams would you put ahead of Bridge City at this time? It feels like you have some beef with BC for some reason lol. Buna is sitting with 7 losses. 5A PNG has 2 losses to 3A competition. Bridge City is in the very early stages of their schedule with one loss. So I'm really not understanding why a team with one loss in four sets (one being 29-27) is all of sudden not worthy of a top 5 rating for our corner of the state. 

Bridge City will face PNG in the Dayton Tournament, so we'll get a look at two of our local teams. 

Next week BC travels to Orlando, Florida for the KSA Tournament. 

2 hours ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

What teams would you put ahead of Bridge City at this time? It feels like you have some beef with BC for some reason lol. Buna is sitting with 7 losses. 5A PNG has 2 losses to 3A competition. Bridge City is in the very early stages of their schedule with one loss. So I'm really not understanding why a team with one loss in four sets (one being 29-27) is all of sudden not worthy of a top 5 rating for our corner of the state. 

Bridge City will face PNG in the Dayton Tournament, so we'll get a look at two of our local teams. 

Can't please everyone my friend, most of if not all of us know.... very few, if any.... follow golden triangle sports better than you. 

3 hours ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

I don't disagree with you, PNG losing to 3A Buna twice is an even worse look than losing to Sterling.

Maybe disregard the TGCA poll too since they ranked PNG soley on record with no account of who they have beaten or lost too. They need to get more voters because its way off. Reference the TVI poll  instead which is 100 times more accurate.

As far as who would I rank above them, well that is the issue IDK.  I think with only 4 games played though while other teams have played 10 plus games should maybe make them an incomplete. No beef with BC other than I know they are not in the same class of the teams they had the previous two years.  The KSA tournament is not a good tournament unless you just want to visit Disney World. That is interesting because the best high tournament in the country is going on this week in the Austin Area with Volleypalooza. You want to get challenged that is what you sign up for not KSA.

12 hours ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

Good to know PNG will face BC in the Dayton Tournament.  They will determine if PNG should be in the #2 spot. 

11 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

No beef with BC other than I know they are not in the same class of the teams they had the previous two years.  

I'd agree with you on this statement based on the two times I have seen them this year. They still have their middle, but she can't get a good set so she isn't much of a threat unless she is blocking. They have a sophomore outside but she is inconsistent. Block those 2 and you'll have a win. BC is very much missing Tupper from 2 years ago, their senior setter from last year, and the sophomore who played all the way around last year but has a knee injury. LCM is young too, and most of our losses have been battles where our inexperience shows. I still expect LCM to grow throughout the year and be a salty team by district. PNG had to earn their points to beat the bears unlike some teams who will spot you 10 points just on errors. 

11 hours ago, Steven Avery said:

I don't disagree with you, PNG losing to 3A Buna twice is an even worse look than losing to Sterling.

Maybe disregard the TGCA poll too since they ranked PNG soley on record with no account of who they have beaten or lost too. They need to get more voters because its way off. Reference the TVI poll  instead which is 100 times more accurate.

As far as who would I rank above them, well that is the issue IDK.  I think with only 4 games played though while other teams have played 10 plus games should maybe make them an incomplete. No beef with BC other than I know they are not in the same class of the teams they had the previous two years.  The KSA tournament is not a good tournament unless you just want to visit Disney World. That is interesting because the best high tournament in the country is going on this week in the Austin Area with Volleypalooza. You want to get challenged that is what you sign up for not KSA.

The only team in the region we cover that's going to Volleypalooza is Barbers Hill. I think everyone agrees they are on another level compared to our region. Off the top of my head I don't think I saw any 3A teams entered in that tournament.

The school I work for (HJ) is heading to San Marcos for the Ragin' Rattler Tournament. 

31 minutes ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

The only team in the region we cover that's going to Volleypalooza is Barbers Hill. I think everyone agrees they are on another level compared to our region. Off the top of my head I don't think I saw any 3A teams entered in that tournament.

The school I work for (HJ) is heading to San Marcos for the Ragin' Rattler Tournament. 

BC is 4a and pretty sure there are some 4a schools in there. 

21 minutes ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

I won't disregard the Texas Girls Coaches Association poll because it's been around for a long period of time and that's what most if not all of us used in TV/Newspaper. I also send in results for my district. I would like TVI's rankings more if they posted records, even if they're incomplete. 

Valid reasons to not disregard the results.. But man there are some teams that don’t have any business being ranked that they rank… one example is them having Wharton ranked #9 in 4A… yes they are 8-1 at the time of the rankings being made… 8-2 now after losing again… but their first loss was to Iowa Colony in 5 games… I’ve seen Iowa Colony and they are below average at best… I just don’t understand how someone can put out state rankings and not do the research into who the teams have played and strength of schedule… Again I realize that’s not your problem because High School Volleyball in general doesn’t get the attention it deserves IMO I respect the guy for trying to get some polls out but geez…. We need to do a tad bit better lol

20 minutes ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

I won't disregard the Texas Girls Coaches Association poll because it's been around for a long period of time and that's what most if not all of us used in TV/Newspaper. I also send in results for my district. I would like TVI's rankings more if they posted records, even if they're incomplete. 

You can use it as it makes your  fanbase happy  but all I can tell you is it is way off. That is the problem with the TGCA poll, all they look at is records and don't weigh strength of schedule. Lets look at BH, two of their losses are to the two of the top  3ranked teams in the 6A poll but yet they are 14 and behind #9 Foster who they just beat in a sweep? Their other two losses are to stacked private schools, one who is the back to back 6A state champions in Oklahoma. Not taking that into account is laughable at best. 

If this isnt the best tournament in the country show me one that is 

This is the hidden content, please

The next big national tournament takes place starting Thursday in Texas near Austin and it is BIG, with 68 teams starting over 17 pools. The 2022 champions, Cornerstone Christian, are not make to defend, but 2021 champion Mater Dei of California and 2022 national champion Cathedral Catholic of San Diego will make the trek to take on many of the best teams from the Lone Star State. TAPPS 6A reigning champion Prestonwood Christian Academy is the tournament’s top seed and many in the most recent TGCA 6A rankings, including No. 1 Grand Oaks, No. 2 Lake Travis and No. 3 Dripping Springs, will also be in the field.

Prestonwood has been described as perhaps the best team ever from the Dallas area. Grand Oaks’ roster includes MB Jaela Auguste and OHs Halle Thompson and Samara Coleman.  Lake Travis (18-2) is coming off of a title last weekend at the New Braunfels Fraulein Volleyfest. Dripping Springs boasts the nation’s top sophomore OH, Henley Anderson.

1 hour ago, Steven Avery said:

Even if they were do you think a 6-7 Huffman team should be ranked? 

Yes. 

Not sure why Maxpreps has them at 6-7. They have won more games than that for sure. The string of losses they had early in the season was against 5A and 6A teams in a really tough tournament. They swept Nederland who is ranked on that list. If they were considered part of that area they are definitely one of the better teams.

2 minutes ago, FALCONS2026 said:

Yes. 

Not sure why Maxpreps has them at 6-7. They have won more games than that for sure. The string of losses they had early in the season was against 5A and 6A teams in a really tough tournament. They swept Nederland who is ranked on that list. If they were considered part of that area they are definitely one of the better teams.

Unfortunately Maxpreps never has all the results unless someone reports them all.

21 hours ago, AshlyHasBeen said:

Does anyone know what teams are in the Dayton Tournament?