SETX SPORTS PRESEASON TOP TEN

MIF04

By the powers vested in me by setsports editorial board, and after getting a load of input (on and off this board), here is:

SOUTHEAST TEXAS SPORTS 2006 PRESEASON TOP TEN:

1. BRIDGE CITY

Isn't it every guy's dream to drive a Big Red Ferrarri? This year, the winner is Coach Bryant. He puts the area's best 1-2 punch on the mound (Angelle and Haymon) with a quality 3rd (Stringer) and the Cards are ready for a return trip to Austin. True, they lost a lot of talent (Hayes, Myers, Stevens, Coulter) but return a solid nucleus including OF Dishon (probably the area's most projectible D-1 and MLB prospect) and Sparks, INF Coleman and Helter, and new C Jackson. This region is loaded (Hudson, Jasper) but there's a reason BC is the State's #1 team -- they're loaded.

2. LCM

The Bears are boasting that this is 'the best team ever' at LCM and, if so, it is one heck of a ballclub. Fact? Griff may have the talent to back up such a claim. You start with a racehorse in 2-way standout Clayton Ehlert, the 'ace' of 20-4A and add pitching depth from Dugas, Cassidy, Adams and Hughes then you have a recipe to win and win often. You can add to the mix that LCM returns a deep and experienced team including sweet swinging jr. C Jake Rowell, 1B Landon Womack and smooth fielding sr. Wes Schneider at SS then you are primed for a deep run in the playoffs. The battle of the Bears (LCM vs. Montgomery) may very well determine who punches their ticket to Austin. Best team ever? Maybe not (there'e no Beau Hale here)...but good, very good.

3. WEST BROOK

Up in District 22-5A, just making the playoffs in the State's toughest district makes you a very good team. New coach Jacob Walton will need all of that just to claim the 3rd spot given a major talent loss (#1 pick Bruce, the Ewings, Ford and both starting pitchers -- Castolenia and Beherns). The Bruins do welcome back 5 starters led by INF Tim Ferguson and David Murphy, 1B John Falgout and OF Mark Serna and Bobby Armstrong. Look for LHP Serna to be the 'ace' of this staff (and he's a good one) but they'll be looking all over for the rest of their pitching staff. Serna could have a breakout, MVP season and the trio of Ferguson, Murphy and Armstrong look to explode offensively. The tournament season could be long given their thin pitching staff but they will be playoff bound come May.

4. PNG

The Reservation boasts the deepest playoff-tested pitching staff in the area led by Zach Harwood and Branden Powell and supported by Taylor McInnis and Cody Mire. All of the "Fab Four" can win big ball games for the Indians and each contribute significantly on offense. Offensively, the 'straw that stirs the drink' here is C Blake Buchanan, the area's best behind the dish. Add to the mix INF Kris Hearn and OF Cole Johnson and never, ever count out the Purple & White. Get there early for the PNG-LCM games (they'll be barnburners) and remember...the last time I picked LCM over PNG --the Indians wound up in Austin. Jay Stone isn't making any early vacation plans.

5. JASPER

Hiding up north, the Bulldogs are primed for a long run through the playoffs. You start here with 2-way star Wll Alvis who won't be a well-kept secret to college recruiters or MLB scouts. With an upper 80s fastball, and the ability to rake it at the plate, this kid can carry a team on his own. Add jr. RHP Travis Reagan and soph LHP Justin Parsons, and the 'dogs are ready to roll. They'll cruise thru district and will lie in wait for their chance to go bird hunting in Region III -- looking for some bright red Cardinals....

6. NEDERLAND

It speaks volumes when a program is still playoff bound in what is considered a down year for them. Right away, sr. RHP Matison Smith (20-4A Newcomer of the Year) has the ability to shut down any 20-4A opponent. The rest of the pitching staff is suspect but these Bulldogs will rebuild (reload?) with a stout District Champ JV squad. Offensively, INF. Kevin Laird promises to continue his hot hitting along with OF Micah Mosley. 2006 will have a lot of surprises (good and bad) for this Mid County team but, when push comes to shove, they'll be playing when others have been sent home.

7. WOS

The 'Stangs would be a serious threat to be District Champs....if they were in a district other than Bridge City's. Do not count out the Blue & Silver, though. They return two bona fide starters on the mound in seniors Sparks and Ayers and, when not on the hill, Nick Ayers anchors the middle of their infield. No question the Mustangs are thin but pitching wins....and WOS has that. They'll finish second in district and then let their pitching do their talking in the playoffs.

8. SILSBEE

These guys are the area's 'Dirty Little Secret'. You don't hear about 'em, don't see 'em and then there they are -- back in the playoffs. The Tigers are led by jr. OF Rocky Calhoun, a catalyst at the top of the lineup. Depth is always an issue here (their baseball numbers have been historically low) and their long-term playoff success will depend on the status of oft-injured jr. RHP Chris Stoudt. They'll finish behind Jasper but they are athletic enough to cause a lot of teams and lot of problems. It may fall to youngsters Kevin McDonald and Joel Schooling (both soph.) to carry the pitching burden...if they step up, this young team will get better by leaps and bounds.

9. OZEN

This team is probably a year away and are probably #4 in 20-4A. They are young and should be a playoff team in 2007. They have future stars in soph. LHP DD Lott and soph. INF Josh Gardiner and need some immediate help for 2006. MEMO TO NEDERLAND: Remember 2 years ago? This Ozen team can sneak up on people.

10. KELLY

These Bulldogs are in a tough district (St. Thomas and St. Pius) but return a core of strong pitchers in jr. LHP Charlie Jones, soph. RHP Anthony Fazio and sr. RHP Jake Henderson (brother of Lamar 1B Will Henderson). Coach David Huggins is a miracle worker with pitchers and he'll mold these guys into winners. SS Kevin Talbot leads their position players and one can look for Kelly to go a long way once the playoffs begin.

Rankings will be updated throughout the season. Let the debating begin.

First, I think Ehlert is an awesome player but I think Hale was somewhere beyond that. Hale was a kid who worked in the 90s (I mean, he touched 98 and regularly sat around 92-93). Ehlert doesn't have that type of velocity. He has touched 90-92 but pitches best in the 88 range. I think Ehlert may be a little more polished now than Beau was in HS, and he is a tremendous all-around player. But Hale just blew people out. Beau was very, very special and HS players like him come along very, very rarely.

With Ehlert, LCM looks like the best 4A team (and maybe best team period) in the area. Without him, they'd still be in the playoffs but not for long. I think that makes Clayton pretty special, too.

After one of our dads posted on another site "this could be the best Bear team ever assembled" another poster has made the point (repeatedly) "there is no Beau Hale on that team." In reference to fastball velocity, no there's not! The only pitcher in Texas (in my opinion and I have seen most of them) that has the velocity and command that Beau had in '96 and '97 is Kyle Drabek. We don't have him either! But the guys we do have are pretty good and ready to get started. Griff will have them ready!

Go Bears!!

One of the "qualifiers" on any post is that it is just a parents opinion. For this years Bears team to be compared to the '96 Bears (alot of things have to go perfect) is an honor. As one of those parents that have watched these young men grow up, I am extremely proud of them. They are a close group of young men who push each other to perform their best. SE Texas is a hot bed of baseball talent, this makes for some great baseball rivalries. I have enjoyed watching some really great HS baseball games over the last several years.

I said all that to say that if some parents didn't feel the need to put others down to try and make their child appear better we would all be better off. Every parent tends to believe their child is better than they are at some point. If I have learned anything from Griff it is let your play speak for itself. These young men have also taught me that if you pick each other up when you're down you become better you're self. You can talk it up all you want but at the end of the day the score speaks for itself.

Bears in your post you point out that the middle infield has to get alot better, and you may be right to compare to the 96 team, however ever aspect of the team will have to improve from last year in order to hold a candle to the 96 team. I've watched your posts for several years now (agreed with some disagreed with others) and the one thing that has been disappointing is your consistent need to point out flaws in the bear team except for "one" player. If you expect anyone to take your post serious be honest about all the players performances. Remember their are 9 guys on the field but it takes the entire teams support to be successful.

You say you've never been negative and that you've not singled out any kid, yet you go back and edit out of your post "no stupid mistakes" Humm?? Up the middle dosen't single two positions out..... As for being sensitive well a quess that's just someting I'll have to work on.

Out of curiousity, what do we think LCM's projected starting lineup will be (of course, it will change depending on who pitches, etc.). I have always assumed that Schneider will move over to SS and that Rowell would be the full-time C but there's a lot of possibilities with all the returning experience here.

Any input?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Yeah, its kinda hard not seeing HF moving up on the list after Week #1. To say they have exceeded expectations is an understatement...

#2 LCM loses to HF and has 2 other one run games

#4 PNG loses twice in La Porte tourney (shoddy defense does them in)

#6 Nederland loses in The Woodlands TOurney ...in a close 4-2 games vs. State 5A #1 team (Woodlands)

I think the results from week 1 show that there are a lot of good baseball teams in SE Texas on any given day.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder