WO-S vs. #1 Teams in the AP Poll

WOS87

You may think there have been more, but believe it or not the game vs. Giddings this Friday will be only the 5th time in WO-S history that the Mustangs will be facing a #1 ranked team in the long running AP poll.  They are 1-3 in the first 4 games, but all three of the losses were quite respectable as WO-S only lost by 11, 11 and 13 points, and they were actually even closer than the scores would suggest. 

Against Yates, the now legendary 1985 5A State Champions, the Mustangs entered the 4th quarter tied with Yates 6-6 and holding a decided lead in penetrations (this was in the era before overtime).  But they weren't able to hold them off in the final quarter and lost the game in a heartbreaker.

Against the 1995 4A State Champs it was deja vu with eerie similarities to the 1985 game. WO-S was tied with La Marque 7-7 with less than 4 minutes left in the game, with both teams tied in both penetrations and first downs.  La Marque scored 11 points in the final 3 minutes to take the 18-7 win.   

WO-S hasn't had the best of luck against #1 ranked teams except for one very big exception

West Orange-Stark vs. #1 Ranked Teams

1981 #1 in 5A Port Arthur Jefferson 31 - WO-S 20

1985 #1 in 5A Houston Yates 19 - WO-S 6

1987 #1 in 5A Aldine MacArthur 3 - WO-S 6 (to date this remains the only time in history that a lower classification Texas team has beaten a #1 ranked 5A team)

1995 #1 in 4A La Marque 18 - WO-S 7

2007 #1 in 3A Giddings ?? - WO-S ??

I just updated the WO-S history to include AP rankings of both the Mustangs at the time of each game AND AP rankings of their opponents.  I forgot how highly ranked both Jasper and WOS were in almost every single game they played in the early days of their series.

One final note: Congrats to the Mustangs on setting a new all-time high winning percentage for the school as they moved above 79% for the first time in school history, surpassing the previous peak of 78.96% which was set after the win over Calallen in 2000.

The current top 10 highest winning percentages in the state as of 11/20/07 out of 1016 total teams

1. 79.01% West Orange-Stark (279-73-3)

2. 78.02% Odessa Permian (452-123-12)

3. 77.23% Houston Yates (367-104-12)

4. 77.14% El Paso Chapin (54-16-0)

5. 75.87% Southlake Carroll (408-127-8)

6. 75.16% Austin Westlake (340-110-7)

7. 74.68% Dallas Carter (348-115-9)

8. 73.73% Highland Park (695-239-27)

9. 72.97% El Paso Franklin (108-40-0)

10. 72.03% Pflugerville Connally (85-33-0)

wos.gif

We didn't make it in 99,01,02, or 03.  3A has been good to us.  We have had success against 4A schools since moving down, but it is alot easier when we don't have to play them week in and week out.  The same thing happened when we were close to 4A #'s and still in 5A.  Had we a dropped down to 4A in 85, we would have won THREE in a row!!!

That 99 team was LOADED!! 

Gayron Allen - Oklahoma

Paul Thomas - Middle Tennessee

Jermaine Hope - Tulsa

Micheal Ledet - Tulsa

Jeff Thibedeaux - Tulsa

Donald Paul - New Mexico

Eric Enard - Texas

Tootie Warnell was also a great player on that team!!

I think we lost to Vidor, Nederland, and Lincoln, but I am not sure.  That was a very talented group.

What was Giddings ranked last year when we played them?  I thought they were #1.  Wasn't McKinney ranked #1 when we beat them?

Is the graphic not showing up?  All of those rankings are listed...

Giddings was #3 last year (Cuero was #1 pretty much the entire season in '06)

McKinney was only #5 when we played then in '86.  They were #1 for a couple of weeks in the regular season but lost to Paris in district and Corsicana took over the #1 ranking after that.

That 99 team was LOADED!! 

I think we lost to Vidor, Nederland, and Lincoln, but I am not sure.

Once again, is the graphic not showing up?

We may have lost to Vidor, Nederland and Lincoln, but we beat district champ and state finalist PN-G that year.  Just one of the seven 4A district champs WO-S beat in the past nine seasons.

PNG in '99, Lincoln in '01, PNG again in '03, Nederland in '04, Central in '05, and Dayton in both '06 and '07

Were it not for a 1 point loss to '02 District Champ Ozen, we'd be undefeated against 4A district champs over the past 11 consecutive seasons.

1999 was a crazy year, we beat the State Runner-Up and then didn't make the playoffs.  The same thing happened in 2003, we beat Bay City by two touchdowns and they lost in the state championship game, and we didn't make the playoffs.  The fact that we have beaten beaten the 4A district champion that many years in a row is a very wierd stat.

1999 was a crazy year, we beat the State Runner-Up and then didn't make the playoffs.  The same thing happened in 2003, we beat Bay City by two touchdowns and they lost in the state championship game, and we didn't make the playoffs.  The fact that we have beaten beaten the 4A district champion that many years in a row is a very wierd stat.

And in 2000 we beat Bay City 10-7, and it would turn out to be their only loss of the season as they went on to win the 4A Division I state championship.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder