Silsbee vs Jacksonville

BADSANTA

Silsbee by 15

I watched the entire Jacksonville/Kilgore game. If Jacksonville plays Silsbee like they did Kilgore in the first half, they're going to be in serious trouble. They can get hot from 3, but so can a lot of teams the Tigers have played this year.

#21 is the only post presence they have. They rested him a lot. Again, they do that to Silsbee, they're going to be in trouble. Most of their kids that played are only about 6'1.

You can watch the game here: They also will be broadcasting the Silsbee/Jacksonville game. Might want to temporarily subscribe to their channel if you want to see the game and can't make it.

1 hour ago, Tigers94 said:

Silsbee by 15

I watched the entire Jacksonville/Kilgore game. If Jacksonville plays Silsbee like they did Kilgore in the first half, they're going to be in serious trouble. They can get hot from 3, but so can a lot of teams the Tigers have played this year.

#21 is the only post presence they have. They rested him a lot. Again, they do that to Silsbee, they're going to be in trouble. Most of their kids that played are only about 6'1.

You can watch the game here: They also will be broadcasting the Silsbee/Jacksonville game. Might want to temporarily subscribe to their channel if you want to see the game and can't make it.

That's the first thing I" said big man #21 is going to have a hard time running with Silsbee. IMO..! 🐅🏀

I remember in the 1994/95 basketball season Silsbee played Jacksonville in Lufkin for the Area Round. Randy McCowen (A&M QB) was their leading scorer. I remember one the Silsbee coaches saying this kid can shoot like Larry Bird. He was about 6'1 or so and averaged about 25ppg. Silsbee blew the doors off Jacksonville that game by 25 or so. Randy scored like 17. I do remember the dunk count that game for some odd reason. 3-2 Silsbee 😂😂😂😂. Donyell Allen, Russell Whitmore, and Willie Jones Jr all had dunks. Th next round we beat Lamar Consolidated at Deer Park and lost to Lincoln to advance to state. 

Back in the day in 1972 Silsbee played Wilmer Hutchins in the gym at SFA.  That is the only time I've really been to Nacogdoches or SFA. I've passed thru there a few times, but never stopped except that one time.

The joke going around after the game, which Silsbee won was Silsbee students came out and headed for the buses chanting 'we're number 1!   Then the opposing fans started throwing  and raining down rocks. The chant quickly changed to "y'all let's run!" lol.  

That win got Silsbee to Austin, to state.  Historic names on that team were people like 6'7" David Brown, James Hunter, James Simmons, Eddie Hobbs, etc.   I wish there were some film to show how good those guys could play.

6 hours ago, Tigers94 said:

Yeah, footage from those games are probably gone for good.

Somebody from PA has some Silsbee/Lincoln clips posted on Youtube for a trip down memory lane. Mostly stuff from the early - mid 90s.

Yes LD Ray is his name. He use to freelance film for KFDM. Most of the highlights are of Lincoln. 

7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

Back in the day in 1972 Silsbee played Wilmer Hutchins in the gym at SFA.  That is the only time I've really been to Nacogdoches or SFA. I've passed thru there a few times, but never stopped except that one time.

The joke going around after the game, which Silsbee won was Silsbee students came out and headed for the buses chanting 'we're number 1!   Then the opposing fans started throwing  and raining down rocks. The chant quickly changed to "y'all let's run!" lol.  

That win got Silsbee to Austin, to state.  Historic names on that team were people like 6'7" David Brown, James Hunter, James Simmons, Eddie Hobbs, etc.   I wish there were some film to show how good those guys could play.

Eddie Fobbs. ‘72 was my senior year.  Rufus Cook, William Walters, and Jim Bowen weren’t slouches, either.  Montgomery had a pretty deep bench.

7 hours ago, Kountzer said:

I will never forget we played Houston Wheatley, ranked #1 in 4A (we were 3A) in a warmup after district play. They had a guy named Eddie Williams, I think went on to UH maybe the NBA. They were breaking the clock regularly, and were somewhat dismayed they didn’t do it on us. I think the final was 98-69, but we were whooping and hollering because they couldn’t  score 100. I’m pretty sure they went on and won state in 4A.

23 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Eddie Fobbs. ‘72 was my senior year.  Rufus Cook, William Walters, and Jim Bowen weren’t slouches, either.  Montgomery had a pretty deep bench.

I played with Eddie fobbs jr. Kid could play too. Loooong !!! Any time you found yourself in trouble you could just throw it up by the rim and he would go up and get it. Never saw his dad or even knew he played ball too. 

34 minutes ago, UT alum said:

I will never forget we played Houston Wheatley, ranked #1 in 4A (we were 3A) in a warmup after district play. They had a guy named Eddie Williams, I think went on to UH maybe the NBA. They were breaking the clock regularly, and were somewhat dismayed they didn’t do it on us. I think the final was 98-69, but we were whooping and hollering because they couldn’t  score 100. I’m pretty sure they went on and won state in 4A.

Eddie Owens.

Wheatley lost to Dallas Roosevelt in state semifinals in 1972. They won state championship in 1973.

That game with Roosevelt still is entrenched in my mind. That was the first time I had ever went to the state tourney (my first of now over 50 times). I was an 8 year old boy and what I remember of that game was not so much the actual game (even though it was an amazing game, Roosevelt won 111-109 in regulation) but it was the amount of people watching that game in old Gregory Gym. We were packed in there like sardines and they had closed the doors so the 100's of people left outside were climbing up on the roof to watch the game through the windows up top. It was an awesome site. That experience hooked me for life. My dad (who started going to state tourney in the late 50's and went every year until the early 2000's but had to stop due to health) and I made that an annual father/son trip from 1972 to 2006. 35 straight years together. Dad made 50 straight years. My current streak is at 51 and planning on making my 52nd straight state tourney this March.

Oh the memories.

52 minutes ago, Knox34 said:

I played with Eddie fobbs jr. Kid could play too. Loooong !!! Any time you found yourself in trouble you could just throw it up by the rim and he would go up and get it. Never saw his dad or even knew he played ball too. 

ok

53 minutes ago, Knox34 said:

Eddie Owens

1 hour ago, UT alum said:

I was at that game.  The player for Wheatley was Eddie Owens.  He went to UNLV but didn't pan out. Kountze played Wheatley maybe the season before and lost by maybe 4 pts., gave a run.