Newton vs. McGregor Predictions? Game Fri. In Conroe

KFDM COOP

I live in Austin, and local sports tends to cover Central Texas pretty well with a wide reach. While you do hear about Mart and Teague, McGregor is not on the radar.

I searched for McGregor websites, and not much to be found. Shows a lack of excited fan base, and over a long time.

If they don't have a tradition and foundation to rely on, they may get happy feet 200 miles from home in a regional game against a formidable state championship program.

I think they caught Teague by surprise. But I don't then they will catch Barbay by surprise.

I could be wrong, but I think Newton should be much better prepared and capable of grabbing the game once it gets started.

Newton 52

McGregor 21

If anyone has friends or family around McGregor please get some information or a website with stats. I can't dig up much of anything about them off the internet.

Scoring generally hasn't been a Newton problem this year (or it hasn't been so far in the 2A games).

What very well could be a Newton problem is stopping a good passing game. If the offensive line for McGregor is "bigger but slower" then Newton should be able to get around them and put pressure on the QB and hopefully force him to make errors. If the McGregor line is smaller but fast and the QB takes the snap from the shotgun and throws quick passes then Newton might be in for a long game...

Newton's key to winning against a passing team is to pressure them from the Newton "D" line.

Agree with BigB BigD... Newton can score this year!

It would have been ugly if coach Barbay had kept the offense going hard for 4 qtrs during district games or the bi-district game.

The Newton "O" line has couple quick guards and two bigger tackles which gives them good balance there.

Newton defensive line is good so they should be able to keep the rushing yards manageable thus if the Newton secondary picks off a pass or two should be a good game for Newton!

Being from Crawford, I will tell you exactly what to expect.  They are fast, very fast.  They have great skill positions, a smaller sized very quick line, and a smart talented QB.  Their weakness is their defensive front, although they have been playing better as of late.  90% of all plays start from the shotgun, and they spread it out quite a bit.  The best way to win this game is by following a page from Crawford's coaching staff.  Play very disciplined defense6-7 in the box and hold your gaps.  Then, keep up with the receivers, and do not let anyone outside, because if they get outside, you might as well get your return team ready because you won't catch them.  That's about all I can tell you guys.  I hope it is a great game on both sides, and good luck to all.

khughes thanks for that heads up! Been hard to find out much about McGregor.

I expected McGregor to be about like that... Shotgun, spreadout and passing a lot.

I had heard their weakness was that other teams could score on them. Hopefully that will be the case and Newton can run up some points.

Weak point for Newton will be adjusting to a lot of passing, Newton doesn't see that a whole lot.

Should be interesting. Weather may be a factor. Cold and chance of rain - doesn't sound like that would be a plus for either team...

Actually, with the weather I expect Newton to have an advantage, since they appear to be able to adapt more to flat out running if necessary.  If McGregor has to stop passing, they'll be done.  If the weather treats them right, then it could be a long day Newton.  I expect a Newton team to come out and try to dictate early.  But, they have to keep McGregor's offense off the field.  Either Newton blows them out, or McGregor wins a close one.  But, not the other way around.  In my opinion of course.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    xyurnnsw
    Newest Member
    xyurnnsw