Should UIL go to a three year stadium rotation for football state games?

AggiesAreWe

On 12/20/2022 at 7:24 PM, JSnipes said:

I don’t like all the state games being at one place. I know I’m probably in the minority in this situation and it’s great for the fans of high school football (not necessarily the fans of the two teams playing), but way too often the travel difference for the two teams it too big of a gap. I liked it when the two coaches decided. I think if each game was more central to the two teams playing more fans from those teams would be attending. I might be wrong, but that’s my belief.

Weather, weather, weather is why no one likes different locations. AT&T gives every team a chance. No wind, rain, or cold. Home field advantage would make sense IF the teams played all their home games there. The one time it was played at NRG, attendance was way down. 
90 percent of the teams that make it to the championship prefer AT&T. 

3 hours ago, Horton said:

Weather, weather, weather is why no one likes different locations. AT&T gives every team a chance. No wind, rain, or cold. Home field advantage would make sense IF the teams played all their home games there. The one time it was played at NRG, attendance was way down. 
90 percent of the teams that make it to the championship prefer AT&T. 

Please produce the data that shows "90%" prefer AT&T. The number of teams in Houston alone is greater than 10%. Every team south of Austin and in SE Texas would prefer the Alamodome or NRG. 

On 12/18/2022 at 6:55 PM, NHSBulldogFan said:

Here's some unofficial numbers I found NOT counting 2020 for the COVID year its easy to see why the UIL never returned to NRG...while the numbers have been up and down they've still been above 200,000 consistently that's also why UIL state won't be going anywhere 

2012: 205,238

2013: 221,339

2014: 250,652

2015: 156,143

2016: 235,311

2017: 203,423

2018: 221,167

2019: 217,679

2021:220,585

2022:213,665

Just looking at 1 year is not very scientific.  But that's all we have is 1 year in Houston so let's look at it.  How many Dallas-area teams were playing in the state game at NRG, how good were they and what kind of following did they have?  Here is the lineup:

2A Division 1  Canadian   Refugio 61-20

2A Division 2  Bremond   Albany 35-20

3A Division 1  Brock   Cameron Yoe 43-33

3A Division 2  Waskom   Franklin 33-21

4A Division 1  Waco La Vega   Argyle 33-31

4A Division 2  West Orange-Stark   Celina 22-3

5A Division 1  Richmond George Ranch   Mansfield Lake Ridge 56-0

5A Division 2  Cedar Park   Frisco Lone Star  22-6

6A Division 1  Galena Park North Shore   Austin Westlake  21-14 OT

6A Division 2  Katy  Austin Lake Travis  34-7

Kyler Murray and the Allen crowds of the previous 2 years were gone.  Metroplex teams, the ones that made it, got dominated.  Argyle, Celina, Lake Ridge and Lone Star all lost and the most were not even close.  So, yea most people from the metroplex didn't want to travel to Houston to watch those arse whoopings.  

The two things that were disappointing to me about Houston was:

(1) the general football fans didn't attend like I thought they would. I went and had a great time.

(2) The metroplex crowds were light in the arse, and that's being generous at best. 

If they were to do a rotation cool, if not still cool. For a state championship game kids would play anywhere, in any type of elements for a chance to win it. 

12 hours ago, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

Just looking at 1 year is not very scientific.  But that's all we have is 1 year in Houston so let's look at it.  How many Dallas-area teams were playing in the state game at NRG, how good were they and what kind of following did they have?  Here is the lineup:

2A Division 1  Canadian   Refugio 61-20

2A Division 2  Bremond   Albany 35-20

3A Division 1  Brock   Cameron Yoe 43-33

3A Division 2  Waskom   Franklin 33-21

4A Division 1  Waco La Vega   Argyle 33-31

4A Division 2  West Orange-Stark   Celina 22-3

5A Division 1  Richmond George Ranch   Mansfield Lake Ridge 56-0

5A Division 2  Cedar Park   Frisco Lone Star  22-6

6A Division 1  Galena Park North Shore   Austin Westlake  21-14 OT

6A Division 2  Katy  Austin Lake Travis  34-7

Kyler Murray and the Allen crowds of the previous 2 years were gone.  Metroplex teams, the ones that made it, got dominated.  Argyle, Celina, Lake Ridge and Lone Star all lost and the most were not even close.  So, yea most people from the metroplex didn't want to travel to Houston to watch those arse whoopings.  

That was a weak year for DFW teams.  Mansfield LR was created in 2012, Frisco LS in 2010. So 2 new schools in 5a with not much following and  no representatives in 6a.  It’s hard to say DFW won’t travel based on that 1 year.  

On 12/23/2022 at 10:23 AM, 89Falcon said:

Please produce the data that shows "90%" prefer AT&T. The number of teams in Houston alone is greater than 10%. Every team south of Austin and in SE Texas would prefer the Alamodome or NRG. 

You need to run a pole on this site and then run a pole on all the other sites. 
You will see AT&T preferred by a large margin. attendance at NRG was way down compared to AT&T, that alone should give you an answer. 

3 hours ago, Horton said:

You will see AT&T preferred by a large margin. attendance at NRG was way down compared to AT&T, that alone should give you an answer. 

The reason the attendance was down in NRG was because teams outside of Southeast Texas and Houston area don’t travel well. So yea the attendance is going to be low. When they don’t travel UIL doesn’t make as much money. That is a big issue. So in order to make money they accommodate the Dallas area teams so they don’t have far to go. I personally believe this is crap. Just because those teams don’t travel well all of the other areas have to go and spend their money just so the fans in the Dallas area are happy. I know some of the schools in that area say they can’t afford to travel. I can kind of understand that. Hell SOC couldn’t even afford to buy a uniform to fit #99 so everybody in stadium got a very unpleasant view of butt crack every offensive snap. But there are teams in Southeast Texas and the Houston area in the same boat. Why can’t we accommodate them? If I had to guess Jerry has a lot to do with this and the deal he has created with UIL.

4 hours ago, Horton said:

Agreed. Lets run a pole in Houston, San Antonio, Corpus, and the Valley. (About half the population of Texas) See if they prefer Houston, San Antonio, or Arlington? See if a "large margin" prefer Arlington?

I am well aware of what the preference in North Texas will be. There is a current foolish theory out now that the people of South Texas are so enamored with AT&T that they are willing to personally sacrifice their own finances and offer an eternal homefield advantage to DFW.  

On 12/23/2022 at 11:49 AM, 89Falcon said:

Ok, for the first data submission, review the sentiments reflected in this thread. Let me know if it reveals closer to "90% in favor of AT&T" or "teams in the southern parts of Texas favoring a rotation". 

Thats not relevant data.....that's the opinions of a small sample in one single region......try again......

This topic probably wouldn’t be a big deal on our site if no southeast Texas wouldn’t have played in state championship.😂

I personally don’t care for any of the stadiums. Out of three dome stadiums, I prefer NRG because it’s 40 minutes from my house, and I feel like the stadium seating is better then the Alamodome and AT&T.

homestly, it would be nice if the two schools playing for state got to pick a neutral site like every other round of the playoffs.

The last state championship game I attended at AT&T was 2010. Sat at least 1 level above field level in a fairly comfortable cushioned seat.  I think most if not all seats are cushioned at AT&T, although not positive.  With that stated, I would love to have the opportunity of a short trip to NRG, BUT have no desire to sit through several games on those plastic seats.  

If I ever planned to attend most or all games, I would willingly accept the drive to AT&T vs 9 plus hours on plastic.  Yes, I am taking in to consideration walking around between games and half times as it is about an 11 hour day. 

Any thoughts on seat comfort from those that have sat through several games in a row at AT&T and NRG???

Television broadcast leaves the one site as the most feasible set up and a likely scenario of smaller schools not being televised if several sites were utilized. So, as much as some If you may wish for coaches to determine sites, that is likely a moot point. 

2 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

The last state championship game I attended at AT&T was 2010. Sat at least 1 level above field level in a fairly comfortable cushioned seat.  I think most if not all seats are cushioned at AT&T, although not positive.  With that stated, I would love to have the opportunity of a short trip to NRG, BUT have no desire to sit through several games on those plastic seats.  

If I ever planned to attend most or all games, I would willingly accept the drive to AT&T vs 9 plus hours on plastic.  Yes, I am taking in to consideration walking around between games and half times as it is about an 11 hour day. 

Any thoughts on seat comfort from those that have sat through several games in a row at AT&T and NRG???

Television broadcast leaves the one site as the most feasible set up and a likely scenario of smaller schools not being televised if several sites were utilized. So, as much as some If you may wish for coaches to determine sites, that is likely a moot point. 

I thought both had cushion seats and hard seats? I know AT&T has both. 

Are there any stats that show a home field advantage for the DFW teams or are we just making that up because we don't want to drive to Arlington? I know some losing coaches have brought it up, but does anyone have any data that shows an advantage?  Also, how close does a team have to be to Arlington to get the advantage?  I know Carthage played Kennedale a few years back and they could almost walk to the stadium.  Do the Dallas area teams stay and home the night before and get up and go to the game?  Wouldn't it be better to have your team in a hotel the night before so you can set curfew and make sure kids aren't out doing kid things?

With TV broadcasts, the games will stay at one location.  And with them playing all games at one location, they have to be indoors to avoid weather delays screwing up the whole schedule.  Sounds like NRG and the Alamo dome have to make changes to be considered.  Also heard NRG kinda blew their shot in 2015 by gouging the UIL.  I don't know that for a fact.

1 hour ago, JBizzle said:

Are there any stats that show a home field advantage for the DFW teams or are we just making that up because we don't want to drive to Arlington? I know some losing coaches have brought it up, but does anyone have any data that shows an advantage?  Also, how close does a team have to be to Arlington to get the advantage?  I know Carthage played Kennedale a few years back and they could almost walk to the stadium.  Do the Dallas area teams stay and home the night before and get up and go to the game?  Wouldn't it be better to have your team in a hotel the night before so you can set curfew and make sure kids aren't out doing kid things?

With TV broadcasts, the games will stay at one location.  And with them playing all games at one location, they have to be indoors to avoid weather delays screwing up the whole schedule.  Sounds like NRG and the Alamo dome have to make changes to be considered.  Also heard NRG kinda blew their shot in 2015 by gouging the UIL.  I don't know that for a fact.

Some local teams stay home, others decide to get a hotel...just kind of depends...

On 12/24/2022 at 12:59 AM, PhatMack19 said:

That was a weak year for DFW teams.  Mansfield LR was created in 2012, Frisco LS in 2010. So 2 new schools in 5a with not much following and  no representatives in 6a.  It’s hard to say DFW won’t travel based on that 1 year.  

I think we are agreeing, or at least you are helping to make my point.  My point was not that DFW teams won't travel.  My point was that the UIL and others seem to think that the low attendance #s at NRG was because the games were hosted at NRG in Houston instead of at Jerry's World in the Metroplex.  If Allen, Southlake Carroll, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Highland Park, etc had been playing at NRG, the attendance would have probably been much higher.  NRG and those of us close to Houston shouldn't be penalized by the UIL just because DFW teams in 4A-6A sucked that year.  And for the record, George Ranch was pretty new that year as well (2010 I think).  Bottom line is that the UIL should not base decisions off of one year at NRG when DFW teams that year were either sub-par or had a small following.  I used to watch the games at the Astrodome in the 80s and I attended the games on Saturday at NRG without any of "my" teams participating.  I would not travel 5 hours to watch a few state games unless a team that I followed was playing.  It would be nice if the UIL rotated the games but I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to happen.

On 12/28/2022 at 9:25 AM, JBizzle said:

SOC would have had about 50 people if the game had been in Houston. Number of fans doesn’t control the game outcome, but it certainly didn’t hurt they were able to have a decent crowd since the game was played in their backyard.