Sould Players be Ejected for Cheap Shots?

Guest Kelly Football

Guest Kelly Football

Sould Players be Ejected for Cheap Shots?

The NFL has told its officiating crews to start ejecting players for flagrant helmet-to-helmet hits.

The new policy was outlined Saturday in a memo from supervisor of officials Mike Pereira, which was obtained by The Associated Press. It followed two fines last weekend for what the officiating department had determined were hits against players in defenseless positions.

Do you think more High School players for cheap shots? 

I think it's even more critical to enfore on high schoolers, since they are still kids afterall and still growing.  It's also where the benchmark for fair play is established and it's at the HS level that I beleive you need to nip it in the bud.

HS is no place for cheap shots.

JMO

I think it's even more critical to enfore on high schoolers, since they are still kids afterall and still growing.  It's also where the benchmark for fair play is established and it's at the HS level that I beleive you need to nip it in the bud.

HS is no place for cheap shots.

JMO

Concur.  However, that won't stop the problem.  The player should be suspended for the subsiquent game also.  That would be a deterrant. At it's root it is a combination of lack of disclipline, and the NFL letting celebrations getting out of hand.  Take away the glorification of bad behavior in the NFL and it will trickle down. 

Players should be ejected for certain cheap shots.

It should be for things like hitting a player way out of bounds.

Or after the play is over and the whistle has been blown.

And of course, for fighting (if they can get it right).

But the problem is............ sometimes personal fouls are not cheap shots and you may have an official that would abuse his power.

Heres the difference.....Say, a RB is hit out of bounds but its very close to the sideline and the defender draws a flag.

Or.....the punt returner calls for a fair catch at the last second and the cover guy takes him out..........here comes the yellow flag because thats the way the Ref saw it.

I could go on, but let me finish by saying the helmet to helmet thing has too much gray area.

If its an attempt to take out the QB or another player.... then throw the flag, but if its just a guy trying to make a play and helmets collide.... I would call that incidental contact.

Concur.  However, that won't stop the problem.  The player should be suspended for the subsiquent game also.   That would be a deterrant. At it's root it is a combination of lack of disclipline, and the NFL letting celebrations getting out of hand.  Take away the glorification of bad behavior in the NFL and it will trickle down. 

i definitely agree with both of the points highlighted in red.

another plan that would work would be to suspend the player for the next four quarters after the hit.  this way if someone pulls a cheap hit late in a game they're losing, they'll miss most of the next game as well, instead of just missing a few meaningless mop-up minutes.  if they have a cheap shot in the first quarter, they'll miss the rest of the game plus the 1st quarter of their next game.  I think if you are going to start ejecting for cheap and late hits, they should be reviewed on video by the officials.  This will give them the opportunity to confirm the intent of the hit, and keep questionable calls from getting a player kicked out.  This should be automatically reviewed upstairs without stopping the game, and if they player needs to be reinstated, they can do it after the next play.  As for enforcing these rules in HS, i think it's very important to instill good values and clean play into our kids.  The only thing i'd worry about would be a couple of hometown refs serving up home cooking and having the power to throw kids out on questionable late hits :).

I think they should be ejected for the way they commit the cheap shot. If you're saying for ex. Hitting a receiver 2 seconds after the ball has been dropped. I dont think they should be ejected, but they should just receive a penalty.

Helmet-to-helmet though is pretty bad and yes they should be ejected if so.

well i seen the refs eject a nederland player for body slamming a wo-s player. the wo-s player cleaned his clock on a block and the nederland player got up and slammed him to the ground. the week before in texas city,he plowed a kid looonnggg after the whistle. as in the players were walking back to the huddle. wasn't ejected. thugs i tell ya. plain ol' thugs  over there.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder