Changing History or Was I Taught Wrong.

thetragichippy

I visited New York last week and as most tourists do, I paid for the tour to see the Statue of Liberty……

The tour guide while giving the history of why we were gifted the statue, made some claims that surprised me. She claimed that the SOL was a representation of liberty from slavery and the shackles at her ankles represented that.

I was taught it was a gift to celebrate the Liberty of being a free United States from Britain rule…all that Revolutionary War stuff……

Thoughts? 

1 hour ago, thetragichippy said:

I visited New York last week and as most tourists do, I paid for the tour to see the Statue of Liberty……

The tour guide while giving the history of why we were gifted the statue, made some claims that surprised me. She claimed that the SOL was a representation of liberty from slavery and the shackles at her ankles represented that.

I was taught it was a gift to celebrate the Liberty of being a free United States from Britain rule…all that Revolutionary War stuff……

Thoughts? 

Revisionist history.  

The National Park Service (who runs the park)  website says it was a gift from the people of France to commemorate the alliance with the USA in the Revolutionary War. The inscription on the tablet is July 4, 1776. 

17 hours ago, tvc184 said:

The National Park Service (who runs the park)  website says it was a gift from the people of France to commemorate the alliance with the USA in the Revolutionary War. The inscription on the tablet is July 4, 1776. 

Not one single person called her out......

I almost, but my wife wasn't having it,,,,,lol

I would say that if it was explained better or maybe with less wokeism, it might have made sense.

Either the guy that conceived the statue or was in its design, was an abolitionist.  By then the Civil War was over however. In the design they put the broken chains of bondage but very inconspicuously coming from under her robe. I don’t think you can see it from ground level. 

So, was there a reference to freedom including freeing slaves placed into the design? Yes.

Was the statue designed to commemorate the end of the Civil War and freeing slaves?  No.

The statue was given to the USA as a token of friendship and alliance between our nations after France helped us beat the common enemy, Great Britain in the Revolutionary War. In doing so the French helped us show freedom to the world by creating a republic instead of a monarchy.