WO-S Bond Election Tuesday/Results Here Tonight!!/Turf or No Turf

For the record, i did get out and vote and I am speaking on fact. You can use any excuse that you want to , but I'm standing by what I said and I don't care whether you or anybody else likes it.

You are right I don't have to like what you say and you don't have to like what I say. I have yet to see where you have stated a fact.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly my point. People can stay in denial all they want, but like I said...the proof is in the pudding. Prop 1 barely passed and that had everything to do with education. All I'm saying is, if those same people that voted no and the same thing was presented in front of them for Lcm, it would have passed with flying colors.

Again that is opinion which you re entitled to and not fact. Also it couldn't have been presented in front of the same people because of where they live. Thanks for voting. You have earned your right to complain. For those that didn't vote your opinion doesn't matter to me.

I'll speak a little on this. No your right the plants don't owe anything. But Coaches have went to the plants before seeing if they would help, and yea you guessed it the answer was no. Someone that knows more on this situation will post soon and then maybe TD you'll understand.

Maybe so but what about the fact that we had the opportunity to do it ourselves and we voted not to. We could have paid for it ourselves and we voted not to. For the record I voted for both. But as a whole we didn't have enough people voting and that is our fault as a community.

It's not wanting something for nothing it's wanting to be treated fairly and equally , so until that happens...you will always see "fits pitched" whether you like it or not.

Individuals bought the scoreboard, not a plant. How are we not being treated equally or fairly?

I can't believe everyone is pissin and moaning about what other people get. We need to stop waiting on someone to do things for us and take responsibility for our selves. We had the perfect chance to do that and we didn't go vote for it. What have you donated? Man, lets stop whining. It didn't pass.  

td,

You can't be any more straight forward than you've posted here.  I think you're right on the money! (no pun intended)

Bond issues (or any other political avenue) are won or lost on the effort of getting the information out to everyone affected and assuring the citizens who share your views get to the polls. 

Other schools have promoted what they want and worked to get the support of the effected citizens.  The people who thought someone OWED them the money are mistaken.   

The important thing is, you got the school improvements.  Who cares about turf?  If the stadium issue in Beaumont had been on a separate bond issue, it would have failed.  You wanta know why?  The people paying the most taxes(not renters) don't care about a fancy stadium.

Same thing in Orange.  The people who don't pay much in property taxes can't understand why someone would vote against it.  They think you guys play great on natural grass(and you do)  Why spend a million bucks on turf?  It doesn't make sense, and the vote shows that.

The majority has spoken it is over and done.  I'd love turf as much as the next person but there is a high initial cost and when other areas are in dire need of improvements how can one justify a million $$$$ turf for really only 5 nights a year?  (I understand others may use the stadium but the reality is it is for those mere 5 nights.)

You know good and well that those plant workers that live in Orange not all of them live in LC. Some folks know the truth and some don't. You sure do like to get involved in WOS conversations all the time.

If your talking about me you should not post it on a public message board if you dont want to hear what someone else has to say on the subject, also you are the one thats involving more than just WOS in this conversation.

There were 30 schools across the state of Texas who were proposing improvements to their football stadiums, turf, etc.  WOS is the only one that did NOT pass.  2A teams all around the Tyler area, Arp, Tatum....all have turf on their field, but the WINNINGEST PROGRAM OF ALL TIME IN THE STATE OF TEXAS DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT THAT SEES FIT TO HELP IMPROVE THEIR FACILITIES.

The powers that be can talk all they want about the "taxpayers speaking" or however they want to explain it, but the bottom line is THEY didn't want it because they did not promote it.  Let's look at the cost again...I heard the original proposal for the turf was around $600,000, not $900,000 as was put in the bond proposal.  The presentation was made that it could be paid off in installments, not all at once.  Those naysayers who are willing to "forgive" because it's "only for four or five games" aren't looking at the bigger picture of making money with playoff games to help pay for the turf.  If someone would do their homework, they would discover that North Shore and Deer Park charge $8,000 per game to rent out their facilities.  There are schools that charge less (Dayton), but with turf WE could be making the money by renting our facilities out.  Let's keep in mind that Thursday, Friday and Saturday are all available dates during the playoffs of EVERY week.  Granted, there is no guarantee that our facilities would be rented every single weekend, but having turf is not the albatross that the "powers that be" make it out to be. 

The voters may have spoken, but it's the UNSPOKEN words from those in higher authority that were against the turf that ring loud and clear.  May our blessed Mustangs continue their dominance in high school football in the state of Texas.

Playoffs do not generate much for the hosting schools.  A possible $8000 is not something to justify the cash for turf.  How many games do you honestly think you could host and would any bigger schools use the stadium? You also have utilities and security to figure in.  It is obviously a trend across the state and more will get it in the area, but to say those who voted against it basically don't support your program is crazy.  Maybe the folks over there just want to make sure the other bond money is properly spent before going further.  We keep hearing how WOS is the most successful program in the state are they going to be terrible all of a sudden without turf?

There are a lot of schools north of us and to the west of us that would consider this to be a meeting point.  It doesn't have to be a CENTRAL location per say, just the same distance for both schools to meet at. 

And THANK YOU WOS2000, our kids DO deserve it!!!!

IF turf was to be put in at S/WO, it would only be able to draw for maybe a first or second round game.  The geographical location of Orange DOES make a difference.  Maybe a small school playoff game of schools to the north would make the trip to Orange, but anyone West is playing in Houston at an established mega-stadium.

Do you really think S/WO kids "deserve" turf more than kids from say...H-F?

IF turf was to be put in at S/WO, it would only be able to draw for maybe a first or second round game.  The geographical location of Orange DOES make a difference.  Maybe a small school playoff game of schools to the north would make the trip to Orange, but anyone West is playing in Houston at an established mega-stadium.

Do you really think S/WO kids "deserve" turf more than kids from say...H-F?

Your post is an obvious attempt to slam WOS (thus, the "S/WO" in your post), so we will pretend that you just didn't say anything, ok?

Your post is an obvious attempt to slam WOS (thus, the "S/WO" in your post), so we will pretend that you just didn't say anything, ok?

No real slam...just playing off a previous post.  I'll re-phrase the question.  Do you really think the WOS kids "deserve" turf more than kids from say...Buna?

If there was no real slam, then why put the S/WO in your post?

That being said, no one said that WOS kids "deserved" it any more than any other schools.  Why would you even ask that question?  That question makes us feel like you are just trying to start something.

We are all just frustrated with powers that be, voters, etc. and are all venting.  We are not trying to start something with other schools, regardless of whether the other schools have turf, want turf or deserve turf.  We feel that our kids deserve it, we want it, and would like to have it.  You not being from WOS, why do you care?  I'm not trying to get smart with you, I am just asking...just like you asked a question.

There were 30 schools across the state of Texas who were proposing improvements to their football stadiums, turf, etc.  WOS is the only one that did NOT pass.  2A teams all around the Tyler area, Arp, Tatum....all have turf on their field, but the WINNINGEST PROGRAM OF ALL TIME IN THE STATE OF TEXAS DOES NOT HAVE SUPPORT THAT SEES FIT TO HELP IMPROVE THEIR FACILITIES.

The powers that be can talk all they want about the "taxpayers speaking" or however they want to explain it, but the bottom line is THEY didn't want it because they did not promote it.  Let's look at the cost again...I heard the original proposal for the turf was around $600,000, not $900,000 as was put in the bond proposal.  The presentation was made that it could be paid off in installments, not all at once.  Those naysayers who are willing to "forgive" because it's "only for four or five games" aren't looking at the bigger picture of making money with playoff games to help pay for the turf.  If someone would do their homework, they would discover that North Shore and Deer Park charge $8,000 per game to rent out their facilities.  There are schools that charge less (Dayton), but with turf WE could be making the money by renting our facilities out.  Let's keep in mind that Thursday, Friday and Saturday are all available dates during the playoffs of EVERY week.  Granted, there is no guarantee that our facilities would be rented every single weekend, but having turf is not the albatross that the "powers that be" make it out to be. 

The voters may have spoken, but it's the UNSPOKEN words from those in higher authority that were against the turf that ring loud and clear.  May our blessed Mustangs continue their dominance in high school football in the state of Texas.

I agree with some of what you are saying. Not to mention there would be saving in the upkeep of the natural grass. However, you should have been promoting before what you are promoting now. The "powers that be" as you say are not the ones that shot it down. We need to face the facts and the fact is that enough of us did not get out and vote for the turf.

There are a lot of schools north of us and to the west of us that would consider this to be a meeting point.  It doesn't have to be a CENTRAL location per say, just the same distance for both schools to meet at. 

And THANK YOU WOS2000, our kids DO deserve it!!!!

The kids do deserve it but the "people" didn't do their part and get out and vote. So what the kids deserve is for adults to show them that you should get out and vote. Take responsibility for doing things for yourself and pay for it yourselves. Don't sit around moaning and waiting for someone else to do it for you. That's what the kids deserve. They deserve to learn that lesson.

you know, it is really sad...this entire thread.  the whole woe is me mentality & the world is against my school because of the number of african americans who attend there, & every professional athlete who ever walked through the halls of wos owes us something...

i usually enjoy posts from most of you guys, but this is sounding like sour grapes.  

first of all, the number of people who turned out to vote is pathetic...period.  no matter if they checked yes or no, to have a handful of people, black, white, green or purple decide how to spend that many millions of dollars (their own money at that) is sad.  the district has struggled for years, a combination of robin hood & the boards brilliant idea to be self insured a few years ago...anyone remember the multitude of insurance claims?  not to metion multiple lawsuits by disrtict employees, who continued to get their contracts renewed!?  then a few years after that, they were so far in the red, that they had a state mandated RIF...they were going to run over 19 million in the hole for the next year without a RIF  

the high school is in good shape, as far as the argument about how it is too crowded...then how did it work when wos was 4a?  the jr high is a dump, there is no other way to put it...if any campus needed to start from scratch, it is that one.  

maybe people are reluctant to donate money for projects in fear that they will end up looking like the stark highschool  display on the jr high campus.  that 50,000 would have been better spent renovation the stadium, or making improvments to the campus.  the colors are running & parts of it are already in disrepair.  

pro athletes that came through wos, well their money is just that...their money.  however they choose to spend it is their business.  if they want to pay to turf a field or stick it in their ears, that is their business.  they have people asking them for money all of the time & not just people from back home.  the amounts that they donate to charities to reduce their taxable income is staggering.  & one in particular has more than stepped up to the plate with generous contributions & underwriting for inspire 12, which will benefit the kids of the district a lot more than turf or no turf.

to close all of the elementary schools & build another & bus kids from all over orange was poor planning.  just how many schools sit unused within the city of orange already?  does the tech. dept & maint. dept really need the entire old intermediate school?

one of the main problems is that the number of people who own property in wos district is dwindling.  so much of it is rental property (68% according to dean fuller, west orange fire marshall)  renters don't have a vested intrest in the long term outlook for a community...schools being a HUGE part of that outlook.

academically wos is suffering, while they have some great uil classes, as a whole, the basics are struggling.  only 27% passed the taks science.  i think fresh blood is needed in the admin dept...but that is a whole 'nother thread in and of itself!

IF the money is used wisely, & IF improvements are made academically WOS will have the last laugh after years of struggling.  with the ship yard contracts (another big IF) and plant improvements there is the possibility for the district to be very appealing to new families...inspire 12, new or renovated schools & lots of houses for sale....lots of BIG IFS in there, but i hope the district & community can pull it off!  good luck wos!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    newyourk01
    Newest Member
    newyourk01