WO-S Bond Election Tuesday/Results Here Tonight!!/Turf or No Turf

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If there was no real slam, then why put the S/WO in your post?

That being said, no one said that WOS kids "deserved" it any more than any other schools.  Why would you even ask that question?  That question makes us feel like you are just trying to start something.

We are all just frustrated with powers that be, voters, etc. and are all venting.  We are not trying to start something with other schools, regardless of whether the other schools have turf, want turf or deserve turf.  We feel that our kids deserve it, we want it, and would like to have it.  You not being from WOS, why do you care?  I'm not trying to get smart with you, I am just asking...just like you asked a question.

I already addressed your first question...it was just a response to a previous post and it got the notice I was looking for, but there is nothing malicious about it.  Sorry you took such offense to it and I won't post it again.

An attractive stadium with turf would be nice for any school district regardless of whether the team history had been 10-0 or 0-10 for the past 10 years.  Unlike posted before, I don't think WOS "deserves" turf because they have the winningest....yada yada.  It's a school luxury for an extracurricular activity and should be treated that way until all of the priority items are secured and updated. 

I'm not from WOS and I don't really have a dog in the fight...but this is something that the WOS community did have control over and didn't really want/need as bad as some on this board would have you think.  Again, nothing malicious about my intent with that statement. (JMO) 

My concern and why I'm interested in all of this reaction and venting is that I see this same type bond issue forth coming in my own school districts future.  You can always learn from watching those around you and how they handle things.  If you had it to do over again aren't there some things you would do differently?

you know, it is really sad...this entire thread.  the whole woe is me mentality & the world is against my school because of the number of african americans who attend there, & every professional athlete who ever walked through the halls of wos owes us something...

i usually enjoy posts from most of you guys, but this is sounding like sour grapes.  

first of all, the number of people who turned out to vote is pathetic...period.  no matter if they checked yes or no, to have a handful of people, black, white, green or purple decide how to spend that many millions of dollars (their own money at that) is sad.  the district has struggled for years, a combination of robin hood & the boards brilliant idea to be self insured a few years ago...anyone remember the multitude of insurance claims?  not to metion multiple lawsuits by disrtict employees, who continued to get their contracts renewed!?  then a few years after that, they were so far in the red, that they had a state mandated RIF...they were going to run over 19 million in the hole for the next year without a RIF  

the high school is in good shape, as far as the argument about how it is too crowded...then how did it work when wos was 4a?  the jr high is a dump, there is no other way to put it...if any campus needed to start from scratch, it is that one.  

maybe people are reluctant to donate money for projects in fear that they will end up looking like the stark highschool  display on the jr high campus.  that 50,000 would have been better spent renovation the stadium, or making improvments to the campus.  the colors are running & parts of it are already in disrepair.  

pro athletes that came through wos, well their money is just that...their money.  however they choose to spend it is their business.  if they want to pay to turf a field or stick it in their ears, that is their business.  they have people asking them for money all of the time & not just people from back home.  the amounts that they donate to charities to reduce their taxable income is staggering.  & one in particular has more than stepped up to the plate with generous contributions & underwriting for inspire 12, which will benefit the kids of the district a lot more than turf or no turf.

to close all of the elementary schools & build another & bus kids from all over orange was poor planning.  just how many schools sit unused within the city of orange already?  does the tech. dept & maint. dept really need the entire old intermediate school?

one of the main problems is that the number of people who own property in wos district is dwindling.  so much of it is rental property (68% according to dean fuller, west orange fire marshall)  renters don't have a vested intrest in the long term outlook for a community...schools being a HUGE part of that outlook.

academically wos is suffering, while they have some great uil classes, as a whole, the basics are struggling.  only 27% passed the taks science.  i think fresh blood is needed in the admin dept...but that is a whole 'nother thread in and of itself!

IF the money is used wisely, & IF improvements are made academically WOS will have the last laugh after years of struggling.  with the ship yard contracts (another big IF) and plant improvements there is the possibility for the district to be very appealing to new families...inspire 12, new or renovated schools & lots of houses for sale....lots of BIG IFS in there, but i hope the district & community can pull it off!  good luck wos!

I agree with most of what you said. How would Dean Fuller know about the housing in the WOS school district is? If youi meant in the city of West Orange then I understand.

I already addressed your first question...it was just a response to a previous post and it got the notice I was looking for, but there is nothing malicious about it.  Sorry you took such offense to it and I won't post it again.

An attractive stadium with turf would be nice for any school district regardless of whether the team history had been 10-0 or 0-10 for the past 10 years.  Unlike posted before, I don't think WOS "deserves" turf because they have the winningest....yada yada.  It's a school luxury for an extracurricular activity and should be treated that way until all of the priority items are secured and updated.   

I'm not from WOS and I don't really have a dog in the fight...but this is something that the WOS community did have control over and didn't really want/need as bad as some on this board would have you think.  Again, nothing malicious about my intent with that statement. (JMO) 

My concern and why I'm interested in all of this reaction and venting is that I see this same type bond issue forth coming in my own school districts future.  You can always learn from watching those around you and how they handle things.  If you had it to do over again aren't there some things you would do differently?

I apologize to you as well and wish you and your school district luck with their endeavors.  And yes, I do believe there would be things handled differently.  I believe the issue will rise again, tho it will not be soon.

ok, city of west orange, but how many apartment complexes are in woccisd?  how much rental property in general?  a short drive through neighborhoods, or a quick glance throught the orange leader & you will see tons of listings for rental property.  ads on realtor.com tout tons of "investment" property ads within woccisd.  look at the little area of roselawn alone.  even 10 years ago, it was full of young families, clean yards, and nice neat homes.  now almost some entire streets are rentals.  not everyone can or wants to own property & i grasp that so i hope this doesn't get spun into another thread of class envy...homeowners vs renters, that is not the implication.  the simple facts are that we as humans, regardless of skin color or income, take more pride when we have ownership in something.  be it an automobile, a home, a school district etc...

the bottom line is that in most any organization, church, school group, etc...  you have a small percentage of people doing most of the work, be it physical or financial.  & they get the privlidge of listening to the majority gripe & complain.  sad to say, but this bond election makes my case by itself.  a multitude will complain about the status of the schools, the lack of things offered to the kids, but a handfull show up to speak out on election day.  if the projects that were voted in don't meet their expectations, more griping will follow.  if all of the complainers in the world would get off of their butts, we'd all be better off!

Well, I voted for both propositions, but I am not surprised at the outcome nor is it the end of the world.  It will not affect how the Mustangs function on or off of the field.  In fact, maybe it will inspire them to do what so many do not...give back.  It happens...look at Inspire12...simply amazing!!!

My oldest son graduated in May.  I was co-chairman of Project Graduation and was extremely disappointed in some of the businesses that did not donate at all or minimally...don't get me wrong...beggars can't be choosers, but what is fair is fair. If you have a child in the school district (especially at the high school level)...look around and ask...who in the community supports this school district?  It will amaze you.  Sure, individuals decide on who and how much to give to what school, but what they need to realize is that there are people from opposing school districts that do business with those individuals' businesses.  I have just decided that if I know that a business does not support the Mustangs...they will not get my business=money.  I understand that these individuals may have family members elsewhere and therefore, they may give a little more generously...but, fairness is deserved because their businesses are successful, in part, to the business that WO-S supporters choose to give them.

While I agree that most of the businesses who donated to LCM's big screen have individuals in positions of decision-making from their district...I have yet to figure out why Orange Savings Bank was a major contributor to it, yet...looking around Dan R. Hooks' stadium...I have yet to spot even a banner.  Perhaps I overlooked it, but I have looked for it for about (6) games now.  If I am not mistaken, WOCCISD uses Orange Savings' Bank for the district...and we can't even get a banner?

There are several reasons that this bond did not pass, not just one.  Obvious is that there needs to be more voter turn-out...not for a win or lose, but because many people have fought and died to ensure that we are afforded that right.  That being said...there are many reasons for low voter turnout.  There needs to be a movement to get people registered to vote, educate them on what is being voted on and when it is being voted on, and make sure that people have a means of transportation to get to the polls.  There are variety of reasons that people don't vote and I think that it is extremely narrow-minded and wrong to say that they just don't care.  I have tried to think what kinds of endorsements I saw or heard for either of these proposals to pass.  

Whoever said that everyone is looking for a handout...I totally agree, but far beyond the level that you are speaking of, I am sure.  Sure, most people look at the "usual suspects" (I'll leave that for you to decide who falls in that category), but take a deeper look...corporate America and people of wealth look for the same handouts that the "usual suspects" look for...call them tax breaks, tax cuts, tax credits...the list (I am sure) goes on...     REALITY CHECK...the people from WO-S who wanted Proposition 2 to pass aren't wanting/expecting something for nothing.  They just feel that it would have been nice to have something nice headed their way.  As the mother of Mustangs/Stallion...they do deserve alot.  They will continue to succeed, regardless of whether they are playing on turf or grass...  Unlike a lot of school districts, the Mustangs are not defined by money and material things...it is a way of life and it's pride in something that is sooooo much deeper than many outsideers can or are willing to understand.  There is not a price tag that could be put on it...so, we will continue to do great things and hopefully enhance some of the issues that need our attention, but in the meantime...WE ARE THE MUSTANGS AND WE ARE PROUD!!!  

::)  didn't we address those who gripe & complain already?  ::)  voter education & registration are vital, i read both proposals completely, it was the responsibility of the district to "sell" it to the taxpayers.  it could have been packaged differently & perhaps they would have been playing on turf. 

sterotypical & judgemental how specifically?  those are easy statements to toss about, but in actuality i stated facts, & withheld my personal opinions aside from my comment about the jr high being a dump...which i could have phrased better...it is a very old facility, lacks much in appearance and function, and is a disservice to the students and teachers who spend so much time there. ;D

::)  didn't we address those who gripe & complain already?   ::)  voter education & registration are vital, i read both proposals completely, it was the responsibility of the district to "sell" it to the taxpayers.  it could have been packaged differently & perhaps they would have been playing on turf. 

sterotypical & judgemental how specifically?  those are easy statements to toss about, but in actuality i stated facts, & withheld my personal opinions aside from my comment about the jr high being a dump...which i could have phrased better...it is a very old facility, lacks much in appearance and function, and is a disservice to the students and teachers who spend so much time there. ;D

BINGO!!!!!  I was wondering when you were finally going to admit that!!!!  There's those "powers that be".

BINGO!!!!!  I was wondering when you were finally going to admit that!!!!  There's those "powers that be".

???i didn't reference "powers that be" ???  but it was the districts responsibility to educate the public & make then understand why we needed these changes.  if you want someone to buy something, you don't just stick it out there & hope for the best.  tax payers are "buying" the improvements however you want to look at it.

Well, between TD, Gasilla, and Gostangs, I think we could cover the cost of the turf.  ;D

I would loved to have the turf, but the vote did not turnout that way.  Thankfully we got the most important things (proposition 1) to look forward to.

ok, city of west orange, but how many apartment complexes are in woccisd?  how much rental property in general?  a short drive through neighborhoods, or a quick glance throught the orange leader & you will see tons of listings for rental property.  ads on realtor.com tout tons of "investment" property ads within woccisd.  look at the little area of roselawn alone.  even 10 years ago, it was full of young families, clean yards, and nice neat homes.  now almost some entire streets are rentals.  not everyone can or wants to own property & i grasp that so i hope this doesn't get spun into another thread of class envy...homeowners vs renters, that is not the implication.  the simple facts are that we as humans, regardless of skin color or income, take more pride when we have ownership in something.  be it an automobile, a home, a school district etc...

the bottom line is that in most any organization, church, school group, etc...  you have a small percentage of people doing most of the work, be it physical or financial.  & they get the privlidge of listening to the majority gripe & complain.  sad to say, but this bond election makes my case by itself.  a multitude will complain about the status of the schools, the lack of things offered to the kids, but a handfull show up to speak out on election day.  if the projects that were voted in don't meet their expectations, more griping will follow.  if all of the complainers in the world would get off of their butts, we'd all be better off!

Now we have agreed on something. Good post.

Well, between TD, Gasilla, and Gostangs, I think we could cover the cost of the turf.  ;D

I would loved to have the turf, but the vote did not turnout that way.  Thankfully we got the most important things (proposition 1) to look forward to.

That's funny right there. I noticed you left your name off of the list. ;)

There have been a total of 39 bond election's up for vote this year in the state of Texas.  The only one that didn't pass is the one at WOS.  That is embarrassing!!!

First I would ask if you voted? Then I would say compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. How many of those 39 bond elections were for absolutely nothing but turf on a football field?

Last but not least we had the chance to vote for it and we didn't. So we could have paid for it ourselves and we chose not to. My alternate plan is as follows, if the turf cost $900,000 then you only need 900 people to donate $1000. So I nominate all of the people that are complaining about the bond not passing to start a list and keep up with it. You can put me first on the list of people that will committ to donating $1000. See how easy this will be, now you only have to get 899 more people.

First I would ask if you voted? Then I would say compare apples to apples and not apples to oranges. How many of those 39 bond elections were for absolutely nothing but turf on a football field?

Last but not least we had the chance to vote for it and we didn't. So we could have paid for it ourselves and we chose not to. My alternate plan is as follows, if the turf cost $900,000 then you only need 900 people to donate $1000. So I nominate all of the people that are complaining about the bond not passing to start a list and keep up with it. You can put me first on the list of people that will committ to donating $1000. See how easy this will be, now you only have to get 899 more people.

And I didn't even play football. So go get your football players and the people that continue to complain and get them to donate $1000 and you will be off to a good start.

Good Luck

td

There have been a total of 39 bond election's up for vote this year in the state of Texas.  The only one that didn't pass is the one at WOS.  That is embarrassing!!!

These bonds should fit each school districts needs and all 39 were probably different.  I doubt seriously if many or ANY included turf.  Why not focus on the great things this bond will bring for the WOS community.

About the "embarrassing" turf issue...every time I think that horse has been whipped to death it rears it's ugly head again. (sorry...no pun intended)  Take a deep breath and let it go. 

Now we have agreed on something. Good post.

Well, as a renter...I have as much or more pride in my household than many who own their homes.  This won't get "spun" into anything but a generalized stereotype of those who choose or have no choice but to rent.  Like I said, the Mustangs will not be defined by grass or turf, but thank goodness too...they aren't defined by many in this school district.  You see, most of them are used to adversity...they don't give a crap what they play on as long as they get to play.  I do, however, believe that you really don't deserve to complain if you don't vote.  That being said, I also understand why many may not vote.  The world would also be better off if people weren't so stereotypical and were more willing to help their fellow man (whether to vote, go to the store, school, etc.)  ;)

Well, as a renter...I have as much or more pride in my household than many who own their homes.  This won't get "spun" into anything but a generalized stereotype of those who choose or have no choice but to rent.  Like I said, the Mustangs will not be defined by grass or turf, but thank goodness too...they aren't defined by many in this school district.  You see, most of them are used to adversity...they don't give a crap what they play on as long as they get to play.  I do, however, believe that you really don't deserve to complain if you don't vote.  That being said, I also understand why many may not vote.  The world would also be better off if people weren't so stereotypical and were more willing to help their fellow man (whether to vote, go to the store, school, etc.)  ;)

I wasn't stereotyping anyone. the part I agreed on was that in any group or organization you have about 20% of the people doing 80% of the work. I wish you would explain to my how it is that you understand why people don't vote. I don't get that part.

On a different note I didn't have one taker on my proposal.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    TankParrish83
    Newest Member
    TankParrish83