Reservation Memories

This will be the last game at the now "existing" Reservation.

I believe the stadium was expanded in 76 or 77 that made the home side seat about 8,000 and added the end zone section, which was the student section when I was in school.

Just curious....

Will the stadium be completely levelled or will they just add to the current bleachers?

Looks like from the pictures that the current shape of the bleachers are unchanged.

In any case....

What are some of your memories at the Reservation.

I have three, two bad and one good.

Bad Memory #1

The TJ PN-G game in 1980.  Probably the largest crowd in the history of the stadium.  The fence on the south side of the field used to be right behind the end zone line.  I was seating on the wooden rail that seperated the band.  There were so many people standing you couldn't see the track!  At least 16,000 were there.  Talk about a classic game.  PN-G scores late to make it 13 to 14.  They went for two and the QB was stuffed on the option.  That was Etheridge's last good quality team.  If TJ loses that game, Dodge and Duhon probably don't make it to the playoffs.

Bad Memory #2

1984 PN-G versus Nederland.  Of all the years for the 19 year streak to end, it had to be my senior year.  Watching the Bulldogs celebrate on our field was just awful.  Gut wrenching knowing that the first time in our entire lifes, Nederland finally beat PN-G.  Later on at Lamar I became quality friends with some of the Bulldogs.  Life goes on.  Looking back, it was a special night.  Every year the Bulldogs started the season with a huge gorilla on their back, beat PN-G.  That night the gorilla was buried forever.  I doubt neither PN-G or Nederland ever get a streak that long again.

Now then...

GOOD MEMORY!

Same year as the Nederland loss, the last game of the year we beat TJ.  First time in years that PN-G beat TJ.  That was really AWEsome to end the season with a win over a big rival.

They say PN-G has a special spirit.

The Reservation is the "resting spot" of that spirit.

I hope Dayton is still in 22-4A next year, and I hope Dayton gets to play at the new Reservation.

Not only will the Reservation be one of the greatest places to play, it will also be the Taj Majal of ALL stadiums East of the Trinity.

Does any one else want to share some memories of games from the Reservation?

I wish I could be old enough to remember all the games from the 1974 to 1977 streak of going undefeated in district, or have the memories of seeing Little Joe play.

Knowing that this is the last game in the current stadium, I just don't see any way that Central wins this one.  PN-G will be playing for a much larger cause in this game.  Central could get buried by the tide of emotion and momentum.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will give you one bad and one good.  I can't remember the date because I was a small child but I remember looking at the Scoreboard and it read visitors 70- INdians 0  I belive the visiting team was Aldine Mcarthur? 

Great memory.  1992 PNG vs WO-S ,  WO-S Scores with about 19 seconds left in the game to make it 14-13 and they decide to go for 2.  The RB is stuffed right at the goal line and fumbles into the end zone.  Eventually a WO-S player recovers the fumble but the ball could not be advanced for the score unless the player who fumbles gets the ball.  PNG holds on for the victory.  I believe Mark Gassen was the player who jarred the ball loose in at the line.

Guest Indian Chief

This will be the last game at the now "existing" Reservation.

I believe the stadium was expanded in 76 or 77 that made the home side seat about 8,000 and added the end zone section, which was the student section when I was in school.

Just curious....

Will the stadium be completely levelled or will they just add to the current bleachers?

Looks like from the pictures that the current shape of the bleachers are unchanged.

In any case....

What are some of your memories at the Reservation.

I have three, two bad and one good.

Bad Memory #1

The TJ PN-G game in 1980.  Probably the largest crowd in the history of the stadium.  The fence on the south side of the field used to be right behind the end zone line.  I was seating on the wooden rail that seperated the band.  There were so many people standing you couldn't see the track!  At least 16,000 were there.  Talk about a classic game.  PN-G scores late to make it 13 to 14.  They went for two and the QB was stuffed on the option.  That was Etheridge's last good quality team.  If TJ loses that game, Dodge and Duhon probably don't make it to the playoffs.

Bad Memory #2

1984 PN-G versus Nederland.  Of all the years for the 19 year streak to end, it had to be my senior year.  Watching the Bulldogs celebrate on our field was just awful.  Gut wrenching knowing that the first time in our entire lifes, Nederland finally beat PN-G.  Later on at Lamar I became quality friends with some of the Bulldogs.  Life goes on.  Looking back, it was a special night.  Every year the Bulldogs started the season with a huge gorilla on their back, beat PN-G.  That night the gorilla was buried forever.  I doubt neither PN-G or Nederland ever get a streak that long again.

Now then...

GOOD MEMORY!

Same year as the Nederland loss, the last game of the year we beat TJ.  First time in years that PN-G beat TJ.  That was really AWEsome to end the season with a win over a big rival.

They say PN-G has a special spirit.

The Reservation is the "resting spot" of that spirit.

I hope Dayton is still in 22-4A next year, and I hope Dayton gets to play at the new Reservation.

Not only will the Reservation be one of the greatest places to play, it will also be the Taj Majal of ALL stadiums East of the Trinity.

Does any one else want to share some memories of games from the Reservation?

I wish I could be old enough to remember all the games from the 1974 to 1977 streak of going undefeated in district, or have the memories of seeing Little Joe play.

Knowing that this is the last game in the current stadium, I just don't see any way that Central wins this one.  PN-G will be playing for a much larger cause in this game.  Central could get buried by the tide of emotion and momentum.

Great post!

I will give you one bad and one good.  I can't remember the date because I was a small child but I remember looking at the Scoreboard and it read visitors 70- INdians 0  I belive the visiting team was Aldine Mcarthur? 

Great memory.  1992 PNG vs WO-S ,  WO-S Scores with about 19 seconds left in the game to make it 14-13 and they decide to go for 2.  The RB is stuffed right at the goal line and fumbles into the end zone.  Eventually a WO-S player recovers the fumble but the ball could not be advanced for the score unless the player who fumbles gets the ball.  PNG holds on for the victory.  I believe Mark Gassen was the player who jarred the ball loose in at the line.

I was in the student section for the 92' game. That was going to be my greatest moment also.

My wife graduated from PNG in 1978, I graduated from Newton in 1978.  We were married in 1982 and that fall, I experienced my first football game at The Reservation.  When we walked up, heard the drums, saw the Indian Spirit, all the headdresses and ALL the fans....man, I thought I was in football heaven!  That next year we had season tickets and have had them ever since!  The feeling was indescribable and still to this day, I get chill bumps at times when we play at The Reservation.  Since then, my son was an Indian Spirit and my daughter is an Indianette.  We still have purple and white feathers all over the house!  The stadium has a lot of fond memories, too many to single out....this weeks game will definitely be emotional.....can't wait!

Guest JoesBros

I think the one game that really sticks out in my mind would be in 92' against WOS. There were alot of great games and like I had said in the past the top 3 stadiums in the area IMO would be The Rez, Bulldog Stadium in Nederland, and PA Memorial Stadium.

In 2000 I was up in Oregon working in Eugene. We were staying in a Hawthorn Inn and Suits on the corner of Autzen stadium. Wich is home stadium for the Oregon Ducks. One evening after work we were invited to go watch the Oregon High school football championship games. They were playing 4 games that day. As we sat there I noticed how there were maybe 800 to 1000 fans in the stands I told our host that back home in Port Neches we would have 5000 - 12000 at home games and that the year before we had nearly 40000 in the Astrodome for the state title match. They had trouble swallowing that. So my memories from the Rez are many but the greatest part of our home stadium is the people that make it home that make up our spirit our tradition and what is our way of football. I will miss this stadium but I know that everything else that makes it so wonderful will be there each and every Friday night at our new home.

Good Luck Indians

Sorry for running on with my post

In 2000 I was up in Oregon working in Eugene. We were staying in a Hawthorn Inn and Suits on the corner of Autzen stadium. Wich is home stadium for the Oregon Ducks. One evening after work we were invited to go watch the Oregon High school football championship games. They were playing 4 games that day. As we sat there I noticed how there were maybe 800 to 1000 fans in the stands I told our host that back home in Port Neches we would have 5000 - 12000 at home games and that the year before we had nearly 40000 in the Astrodome for the state title match. They had trouble swallowing that. So my memories from the Rez are many but the greatest part of our home stadium is the people that make it home that make up our spirit our tradition and what is our way of football. I will miss this stadium but I know that everything else that makes it so wonderful will be there each and every Friday night at our new home.

Good Luck Indians

Sorry for running on with my post

good post

Just curious....

Its my understanding that they are taking down the stands, tearing up the track and starting anew. If thats wrong I know someone in the know will correct me. 

Its my understanding that they are taking down the stands, tearing up the track and starting anew. If thats wrong I know someone in the know will correct me. 

To me that just seems like so much to do in about 9 months.

Levelling the whole stadium, and preparing the ground will take a very long time.

Then on top of that, they are demolishing a wing of the highschool.

If the end result turns out to be any where near what the pictures look like, it will be a sight to see.

Wow!  So many memories to choose from.  Beginning with stepping out on that field at halftime my soph. year (before fresh. were at the high school).  The nerves and yet that great feeling of PRIDE that overwhelms you. Beating Nederland 49-0 our senior year.  Then the tears flowing that last halftime my senior year and the tears shed at graduation.

I'm lucky that not only did I get to experience those memorable times as a student, but now as a teacher and parent I have gotten the chance to share it all over again.  Nothing beats hearing your son's name said by Tip Durham when he's made a great play! 

Sure going to miss the old stadium and all the wonderful memories it holds, but the memories will remain with us forever.  Looking forward to all the new memories to be made in the new stadium!

Only 2 days till kick off....

Just wondering...

How soon will construction start.

I might stop by Friday afternoon to get one last look, before going over to Bulldog Stadium.

Good luck to the Indians Friday.

Hopefully the last game at the current Reservation will be one for the memory book.

Any more readers with memories you would like to share.

they said that construction should start around late december running all the way until july

Actually i heard it was gonna start as soon as the season was over, and playoffs began (since we would be playing away) this is gonna be a game for the books, any Indian fan should go to the NDNs website to see pictures

They may change the stadium, but they will never change the beating of our hearts!!!! Hell i can remeber playing paper football in the grass behind the student section. It is amazing to say the least to see that kids are still doing now what we did when we were young. I cant wait to see the new stadium, but after seeing Nederlands scoreboard, it will be hard to top that.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder