favorite reel

Wildfire

All Shimano's are over priced and other brands seem to be following. I love Shimano's. I just hate paying for them.

Lately I have bought two Pinnacle reels. Both have been very smooth and I love fishing with them. They cost about 30-50% of what a similar Shimano costs.

Spend the few extra dollars and buy Shimmano.  Curado or Citga hold up well.  I have some of these reels that are almost 20yrs old and have never done anything except clean them.  I have other less expensive reels and none of them hold up, especially if your fishing salt water.  There is a reference to a Pinacle reel (I have 2 of themm) below and in fresh water it is an OK reel for a lot less money.  If your fishing for smaller fish it is OK, but the drag system is not even close to a Shimanno or other quality reel and the casting is not quite as smooth.  Also if your throwing any kind of braid you need a better drag system. 

Diawa makes a good reel now however it is also pricy.  Check out Ebay for deals!  The older model Shimanno reels are great reels and you can usually get one for less than $80 there.  Hope that helps. 

All shimano for me    I have a calcutta 250 that is 8 yrs old and just replaced bearings, drag washers, this year.  I've done but clean it every year.  I also have 2 cardiffs  that i just got this year on ebay and i'm liking them just as much as the calcutta's.  They've handled the redfish fine and the salt off shore fighting the chicken dolphin.  All of em set on TTF  IM8  7ft rods. 

really depends on you........I'm particular to the TTF (Texas Tackle Factory) and American Rodsmith and KISTLER rods. 7 or 7 1/2ft with either my Calcutta or Cardiff.  I would say a good strong and limber graphite for fishing touts and spoons and a little stiffer for fishing topwaters, hardplastics and bait.  The longer rod will give you distance on the cast and a little extra sensativity.  Really it's whatever feels confortable to you and is dependable. Haven't really seen any reels more dependable than a shimano yet. Like i said my calcutta is 8yrs old and caught everything from kinfish, snapper, jack crevalle, to catfish and perch. 

;Dso most people agree on the shimano aye.. i thot so wut would be a a good rod and reel set up i used to have an all-star rod with a citica but can't remember where i put the reel it was a good set up

If your salt water or freshwater fishing look up a web site for Waterloo Rods.  They are pricy, but very good.  American Rodsmith makes a slightly less expensive trout rod, as Crazy_Cajun indicated their brand.  They are nice rods.  Another good brand is Tempest Rods.  Just make sure the Tempest rod you buy has a double rap of thread on both sides of the eye.  Their older models did not and the eyes double rapped and the eys would fall out. I would shy way from All-Star as they are not the All-Star of old after Shakespear bought them (or whomever owns them now).  That is unless you just want a less expensive rod and are not all that worried with quality.  If your only fishing salt water and throwing a lot of soft plastics for trout, find a light rod with coorosive resistant eyes and a lot of action in the tip.  Titanium eyes work well and offer great weight reduction, which results in more sensitivity.

I probably have 10-15 extra rods laying around.  If you want a freebee just let me know and I'll give you one or two.  Most are less expensive Shimmano rods, but your welcome to them.  If you want a Tempest rod I can probably get you one for much less than list price.  Same goes for the Rodsmith.         

ive had one of those for over 3 years they are great reels

I have a couple Abu-Garcia Ambassadeurs that are over 20 years old that are still in good shape. I have a Shimano Bantam 100 that is about 25 years old and is in need of a couple of new parts but it took that long to wear it out.

The Shimanos are still way overpriced but great reels. I don't care if I can buy one that lasts 30 years now. I still don't think a reel like the Calcutta should be $200+.

"I have a Shimano Bantam 100 that is about 25 years old"  - man, tvc184 you are showing our age on this one - I have several Shimano Bantams that I bought back in the early 80's - they are a little loose - but still ok!

Well, I bought it when I was 12 years old.  ;D

SHIMANO spincast with some STREN super knot with about 14 lbs. and it is awsome i seen some little spincast set ups about a normal sized reel on a about 2 1\2 foot reel perfect for fishin in those backwoods creeks and stuff for about $15 at the Wal-mart in Liberty i'm fixin to get one

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite was and old abu Garcia that my Grandad used to own, probably made in late 60's or early 70s. I could cast it clear across Sabine lake if needed. The newer models are not that great at all.

I also have a calcutta that is a peice of crap !  But the curado is a gem.

• 2 months later...

I have been fishing in Sabine Lake for 18 years...My family has always used the Abu Garcia Amb. Thumb Cast and LOVE THEM...Dealing with the saltwater and not having to do alot of maintenance.  We used the 4600 C3 I believe...All I do is spray it off with water and spray it with "Real Magic".  I recently bought the new Revo and love the small feel of it, like a Curado or Citica...The best thing about ABU GARCIA is the price is unbeatable...Low Prices and great products... Always have had great luck with them,even in heavy winds.

• 4 weeks later...

I have several Shimano Curado 200's and like them real well. I also have several Kistler rods, one being the new helium type, and they are great. Very sensitive. I have one All Star rod that I can't stand. I wish I had never bought it. As soon as I can afford another Kistler I will get rid of the All Star. I also use two Garcia Ambassador 5000 and 5000B reels that I think are great I bought both of them in the early 70's and have never had a problem with them.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder