OF fights off HJ, ties HF in finale

OF fights off HJ, ties H-F in finale

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

ORANGEFIELD — In a crazy, wild night in Orangefield, the Lady Bobcats were the ones left standing and are now locked in a third-place tie with Hamshire-Fannett.......

http://www.orangeleader.com/hssports/local_story_296232014.html?keyword=topstory

Sure it was a crazy night, but I think the focus should stay on the game and not what the fans or the coaches did.

I was at that match--and when it came down to it, this is about Hardin Jefferson and Orangefield volleyball players playing their hearts out.  The OF crowd was active, which is what is suppose to happen when you have students supporting their teams. The HJ girls got killed in the first game and then came out and played hard the rest of the match, which in my opinion, showed a lot of character for that team.

Volleyball is a funny sport-anybody can beat anybody on any given night.

The refs didn't do anything to help the situation--being inconsistant and not knowing the rules about caps. If you are going to get up on the stand --- you should know the rules. It caused a 10 minute game delay--which was frustrating for the coaches and the players.  The fans got upset with the HJ coach for protesting, but that is her job--- There were some really bad calls by both linesmen and the up official overruled some of the calls, which made things worse.

Let's keep the focus now people-----it was a good volleyball match.

Sure it was a crazy night, but I think the focus should stay on the game and not what the fans or the coaches did.

I was at that match--and when it came down to it, this is about Hardin Jefferson and Orangefield volleyball players playing their hearts out.  The OF crowd was active, which is what is suppose to happen when you have students supporting their teams. The HJ girls got killed in the first game and then came out and played hard the rest of the match, which in my opinion, showed a lot of character for that team.

Volleyball is a funny sport-anybody can beat anybody on any given night.

The refs didn't do anything to help the situation--being inconsistant and not knowing the rules about caps. If you are going to get up on the stand --- you should know the rules. It caused a 10 minute game delay--which was frustrating for the coaches and the players.  The fans got upset with the HJ coach for protesting, but that is her job--- There were some really bad calls by both linesmen and the up official overruled some of the calls, which made things worse.

Let's keep the focus now people-----it was a good volleyball match.

I beg to differ.

Whether it was a good match or not, an adult, who has been hired and gets paid to lead, teach, and direct our youth, who sets as bad an example as has been portrayed on here, SHOULD be called out.

I work with kids every week in athletics for FREE, and one thing I NEVER forget is that I have an influence on them, and I hope and pray when they mature and have their own children, they will remember some of the lessons I tried to teach them and the example I tried to set for them!  I AM NOT perfect, by any means, but to let a behaviour like this go, and explain it away as competitiveness, is inexcuseable, in my opinion.  When you deal with kids, it's MORE THAN GAME!

Please note---

you are focusing on one side of the story---

no--that coach should not of gotten up, by the rules go--the only coach allowed to stand up during any specific game is the coach that is responsible for that team---ANOTHER WAY THE REFS COULD OF CONTROLLED THE GAME!!!  Did he get a yellow or red card?  No---If I was the official of that match--he would of gotten one--I have a feeling he was trying to get one-- but so would of a few of the players on BOTH SIDES OF THE NET---

I know the HJ head coach---and she is very strict on her team---she has warned them about talking to line judges or officials.  I find it hard to believe that her girls would disobey her by mouthing off to the girls--but it could happen. 

And--in my opinion--which is what this is about---

AND--I'm not a coach--nor would I want to be one--

Don't all coaches pretty much work for pennies anyway?????

Guest bleed orange

Before I say anything about the subject at hand. Let me say this, HJ played their hearts out. Their coach is heading that program in the right direction because they have struggled for a long time.

Baw7 I think you are missing the point. The head coach has nothing to do with this. It was the male coach who screamed at a 16 year old girl who was calling lines. First off you should never put a kid in that position and second thats what I don'tlike about volleyball. The male coach was way out of line. That was not my kid he screamed at but if it was we would have words and probably more than that. How would he like it if some coach screamed at his daughter. I bet he would not. Now if a coach gets on to a kid(from their team) who is playing that is something different. Thats part of it but not a kid who did not ask to be there in the first place and was not on his team. He needs to choose another profession or go to anger management.

She may be strict, but after the game one of her players acted like she was going to do something to our line judge, and one jumped off the bench and said something before the male coach made a fool of himself.

I know this may not compare to to the stress of a varsity game, but when I coach Little Dirbblers and we are in close game (which was pretty often at Nationals). I would never think of saying anything to another player on other team, and by the way I'm going to college to be a coach.  He must have missed the class on showing a little class 101. 

I don't have a dog in this fight; however, it appears that the girls in the corners making important decisions are getting younger and younger at every game that I have attended.

I saw a very young child that was making decisions with her hands when the ball was midway between the net and the boundary-line area-- falling near the back boundries--over and over again!

I think schools should swap the girls and not use girls from the same schools that are playing the game.

I would not hurt to use High School Seniors that have at least proven that they can be very attentive of the game at hand.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    hulmeyolmu
    Newest Member
    hulmeyolmu