PN-G’s Tatum keeps dad’s theme alive

PN-G’s Tatum keeps dad’s theme alive

By Tom Halliburton

The Port Arthur News

PORT NECHES — Ronnie Thompson needs to know that a piece of Thomas Jefferson's proud football past still occupies a prominent role with these 2007 Port Neches-Groves Indians.

It's a white towel with the old maroon "PA" insignia and the No. 5 on it. The towel belonged to former Yellow Jackets fullback-punter-placekicker Marty Tatum, a most versatile member of the 1980 Class 5A Port Arthur powerhouse coached by current Memorial head coach Thompson.

Tatum passed away from cancer on April 27, 2007 and one of his nearest and dearest survivors has enabled that TJ towel to remain quite busy. Tatum's son Harrison, a 16-year-old junior, has had to mature plenty since his dad's death nearly six months ago.

There's a whole different young man wearing the purple and white No. 8 this fall than last year. He's more mature. He's more confident and relaxed. He's really served as a unifying element within this outstanding Indians team.

It's a crying shame that Marty missed Friday night's victory over Lumberton. He would have been so proud to have witnessed Harrison's performance. The Indians junior completed 8-of-8 first-half passes and finished with 13 of 15 completions for 185 yards and a touchdown.

When Tatum and PN-G's offense completed perhaps its best game to date, the pleasant purple and white scoreboard informed its viewers of PN-G 31, Lumberton 24. It translated into five straight Indians wins... or as Marty Tatum would say in 1980, "Another One Bites The Dust."

"That's why I wear this towel at every game and every practice," Harrison smiled, still remembering the loss of his dad. "It's never easy... But it helps you to become a lot stronger as a person.

"It's helped our team to become closer too and I think that has been a main factor in the last five wins."

Instead of taking credit for his most impressive passing night so far in high school football, this fine son of Candace Simmons and the late Marty Tatum dished out the credit to six different receivers, his two running backs and his five interior line players.

Tatum directed the same group appreciation to all sorts of vital coaches on the Indians' varsity staff... especially that quarterbacks coach and fellow Dallas Cowboys fan named David Wallace.

What do the Cowboys have to do with these Indians? Ohh, plenty. You see, Dallas quarterback Tony Romo just keeps on smiling all the time. He tries not to let anything get him down... even if he throws five interceptions at Buffalo. Tom Brady at New England is the same way.

Romo and Brady are Harrison's two favorite pro players. So Tatum borrows a page from their game and attempts to just keep on smiling.

"I'm having more fun this year, instead of taking it so seriously," Tatum confessed on Tuesday. "I don't stop smiling. When I wake up on Friday, I put on a smile. And I try to keep it on throughout the whole night."

Harrison's relaxed approach can rub everyone positively in the Indians' huddle, too, as well as in between plays. Once in last week's first half, Tatum conveyed that upbeat, supportive demeanor toward senior Clint Burnett after officials flagged the tight end for a false start.

No problem. Harrison dialed Clint's number on the next play for a 16-yard reception.

Here is the rest of the story........

Through the pain and tears of losing his father, Harrison realized another "dad" seemed right there for him if he needed any support. Quarterbacks coach Wallace had gone clear back to the seventh grade at Groves Middle School with Tatum. When Marty died, Wallace had just the right thoughts to convey in a sorrowful time.

"I let him know I would be there for him," the Indians' QB coach said. "We've always had a unique relationship. He and his dad were pretty close but he's handled it real well. That kind of thing tends to make you grow up faster than you probably want to."

Even though the Indians sit atop the 22-4A standings at 4-0 prior to Friday's visit to always tough Vidor, it does not suggest that all of Tatum's hard times have occurred off the football field. Harrison personally shouldered a lot of the load for his team's 0-2 start. He didn't have to feel that way, but he did.

Wallace, offensive coordinator and play caller Dan Welch and head coach Matt Burnett all had the same message for Harrison when PN-G started 0-2 -- just relax.

"Harrison's gotten more relaxed and he's doing exactly what we need him to do," Indians' chief Burnett said. "He's a fine person and he's developing into a good leader. Last year he was a sophomore among seniors. This year, the seniors have welcomed him with open arms, even moreso after his dad passed away."

Tatum has matured more in his approach to the game, too. Stats are stats and stats come and go. A player needs to always focus on the fact that football is and always will remain a team game, first and foremost.

When the team wins, the stat sheet takes up space in newspapers and computers but it truly matters much less than wins and losses.

"I was so worried about my stats," Tatum admitted. "But I'm not worried about my stats now. I'm worried about my team winning. As long as we win, that's what really matters."

It's been a little while since The News has published a feature on a PN-G quarterback... Then, again, there's no question after Friday night that Harrison Tatum has deserved the attention too. His most impressive stat to date is the Indians' district record -- 4-0.

Indians Inklings: Best defensive numbers against Lumberton belonged to LB Kaleb Walker (8 first contacts and 7 assists), DE Zeke Schexnider (7 first contacts and 5 assists), CB Jacob Broussard (6 and 5), LB Austin Miller (5 and 4) and DT Jody McDonald (4 and 5).... Nothing in the way of serious injuries resulted from the Lumberton game.... The Indians have a new starting center Tanner Ross... The Tribe can expect a lengthy halftime break Friday night because Vidor always has a way of delivering quite a halftime extravaganza on its homecoming night. PN-G will be Vidor's 2007 homecoming opponent.... Last time the Indians were 4-0 in district was 2004. The 2004 team won a bidistrict title, playing 12 games. The 1999 Tribesmen also were 4-0 in district, reaching the state finals and playing 16 games....

Marty was an awesome man who was taken too soon from this earth.  Harrison, his younger brother Grant and their sister Elizabeth are all awesome kids. 

I'm so glad this article ran.  Maybe now people will realize that the boys playing football also have lives outside that can and will impact their game. 

The Tatum kids are a living memorial to their dad and the wonderful values they were given by both of their parents.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder