A little football news

Guest abovetherim

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Lamar alumnus...

I will be getting season tickets.

Wish I could make more basketball games.

It will be a very good day in the Golden Triangle when Lamar kicks off in a football game on a Saturday evening.

This will give dozens and dozens of kids a chance to go to Lamar with scholarship help.

It's just not the football team, but also the cheerleaders and band too.

Boy howdy...

Getting the right man to coach this team.

This will be one of the largest decision that Lamar will have to make.

Whoever they pick, I hope he can galvanize the community behind him.

We need to all remember that this part of the state is a high school football fan base.

I don't know how the hockey team is faring, but the Golden Gators didn't make it, Lamar Football continually failed to fill up half the stands.

Hopefully things will be different this time around.

For the Cardinals to succeed they will need to win and quick.

Guest abovetherim

As a Lamar alumnus...

I will be getting season tickets.

Wish I could make more basketball games.

It will be a very good day in the Golden Triangle when Lamar kicks off in a football game on a Saturday evening.

This will give dozens and dozens of kids a chance to go to Lamar with scholarship help.

It's just not the football team, but also the cheerleaders and band too.

Boy howdy...

Getting the right man to coach this team.

This will be one of the largest decision that Lamar will have to make.

Whoever they pick, I hope he can galvanize the community behind him.

We need to all remember that this part of the state is a high school football fan base.

I don't know how the hockey team is faring, but the Golden Gators didn't make it, Lamar Football continually failed to fill up half the stands.

Hopefully things will be different this time around.

For the Cardinals to succeed they will need to win and quick.

Awesome post and I agree with  99.9% of your statement! ;D

As a active member of the police department and the community, I agree with just about all everyone else has stated. I need some Lamar Football! I played a little football in the Marine Corp. but I'm a little old now.

Would love to see the Red and White wearing football uniforms again.

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, looks like you're right

"Historically, the Southland’s successful football heritage has sustained itself through numerous membership and classification changes.  Originally an NAIA conference, the Southland joined the NCAA College Division in 1968.  The College Division was re-named NCAA Division II in 1973, and the league played two seasons in that class.  The Southland was an NCAA Division I league from 1975-81, before joining the ranks of FCS in 1982, its home ever since. "

http://www.southland.org/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=18400&KEY=&ATCLID=945973

I'm pretty sure I read my original post in one of Lamar's Media Guides  (88 or 89).  I'm gonna look through it again to see how it is worded.

I guess since we have waited over 10 years, another couple months aren't going to hurt. I know I would not take the Lamar Football job. Think about it. Think about how important it is going to win, so people can say their alma mater is D1 (or FBS). Think about how hard it will be to get the "recruits" when you have a chemical plant literally in your view of the field. Think about how hard it will be to compete in the Southland at first. Think about the pressure from the Alumni. It will take a while to get everything rolling, but I am sure it will be done right. I will keep the coach in my prayers.

they could go two routes with this:

1. hire an older established ex college coach whos been around that may still want to coach but isnt going to get another glamor job. They are viewed as past their prime but still have the desire to coach so they may want the Lamar job just because they love to coach. they have been through it and may be better to handle the initial extra stress that will come with this job.

2. Hire a sucessful local HS coach that has the patience to go through the growing pains that are going to be there. They would recruit locally and the area would be a little more forgiving being the coach would be a local guy.

JMO on the subject and I think it will be great if this indeed happens. Im a Lamar alum and a season ticket holder at the Montagne and would consider the football tix as well. 

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder