Lamar trivia question

Guest abovetherim

Seattle, WA? Man, it's great having you on here! Please feel free to post or reply anytime you feel like it. If you still follow LU living in Seattle, you are my kind of man and I'm sure you know a great deal about Lamar.

Here is the next trivia question again. Who was the last Lamar men's basketball player to be voted MVP of a conference, what was the year and what conference did Lamar play in at the time. 1. The player. 2. The year. 3. The conference.

Well...the last guy I remember getting that kind of pub was Sewell back in '84. They were still in the SLC and he ended up being drafted by the Sixers in the draft...

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest abovetherim

That guy could shoot the lights out, too. Speaking of shooting, will LU have any this season? Watching from afar, that seemed like a huge problem last year....

I think they will have some good shooters on this team. 1. Kenny Dawkins 2. Darren Hopkins 3. Matt Barrow 4. Ashton Hall and 5. I've heard the 6-8 guy Jay Brown can shoot with range. As for FT's Lamar will be much better. McThay, Dawkins, Hall, and Justin Nabors all shot a high percentage on FT. I'm talking about 75-80% which is much better than in the past couple of seasons.

Next question, probably easy for you. Who was the last men's basketball player named conference tournament MVP and who was the coach and what conference did LU play in? 1. The player. 2. The HC. 3. The conference.

Yeah...coincidentally it was a guy off of that 2000 team that I referred to when Coach Deane's Cards won the SLC tourney before Duke beat them. Landon Rowe...

Remember that other time Lamar played Duke in '83-84 (I think) and almost beat them? (L 62-66)

They were pretty solid that year and in my opinion, haven't been that good since...

Guest abovetherim

Good Lawd, I think you should come up with the next one and see if I can answer it. You are amazing!

It is funny how fast people have forgot Lamar use to be a great mid-major program in the late 70's and early 80's. Remember the 80 game homecourt win streak? I'm sure you do. :)

Good Lawd, I think you should come up with the next one and see if I can answer it. You are amazing!

It is funny how fast people have forgot Lamar use to be a great mid-major program in the late 70's and early 80's. Remember the 80 game homecourt win streak? I'm sure you do. :)

I remember the streak, but I don't remember who broke it. My first guess would be La. Tech, though.

Guest abovetherim

Right again, La Tech and the Mailman Karl Malone defeated the Cardinals in the Beaumont Civic Center.

You got me on the earlier question ;D. Try this one, earlier the same season Lamar played a #1 ranked team in the nation and lost to them on their homecourt by 1 point. Name the team and tell me the score.

Right again, La Tech and the Mailman Karl Malone defeated the Cardinals in the Beaumont Civic Center.

You got me on the earlier question ;D. Try this one, earlier the same season Lamar played a #1 ranked team in the nation and lost to them on their homecourt by 1 point. Name the team and tell me the score.

I'd have to cheat to get that one. I have no recollection of that game.  ???

I remember the La. Tech game now, I think. Isn't that the one when Randy White hit the turn-around in the post at the buzzer?

Guest abovetherim

All I know is I was a young teen at the time and it broke my heart watching La Tech celebrating on "our" homecourt and the automatic bid to the NCAA in hand.

I mislead you on the score versus the #1 team in the nation. It was Depaul but the score was 61-63. That's a two point not a one point loss by the Cardinals. I didn't mean to mislead you. I just looked up the answer myself. ???

Guest abovetherim

I've been wishing for 25 years we could get back to that kind of basketball at Lamar. At least we now have two coaches (Coach Roc and Coach Tidwell) who actually believe it can happen again here.

Kind of like lifting weights. The muscle fibers have what is called "muscle memory". In other words if someone bench pressed 400 pounds and quit lifting for a year he could get back to 400 before the average guy could lift that much.

Coach Roc having been around the program during those "glory years" knows it has happened here before and it is not like dreaming of something that has never happened at Lamar University.

I believe Coach Tidwell is just a great coach and will get the ladies in the NCAA Tournament within 2-3 years.

I've been wishing for 25 years we could get back to that kind of basketball at Lamar. At least we now have two coaches (Coach Roc and Coach Tidwell) who actually believe it can happen again here.

Kind of like lifting weights. The muscle fibers have what is called "muscle memory". In other words if someone bench pressed 400 pounds and quit lifting for a year he could get back to 400 before the average guy could lift that much.

Coach Roc having been around the program during those "glory years" knows it has happened here before and it not like dreaming of something that has never happened at Lamar University.

I believe Coach Tidwell is just a great coach and will get the ladies in the NCAA Tournament within 2-3 years.

I'm with you there. Back in those days, LU could play with (and it seemed lose to) anyone on any given night. I truly believed that Coach Tubbs could get it started up again and I think the best thing he did was bringing Coach Roc with him. I think they're one or two outside threats away from being very tough in the SLC again. Everyone knew that they couldn't spread the floor and that killed them along with all of the free throw problems. Don't Sewell, Veney, and Sundblad have any eligibility left? :)

Guest abovetherim

"Don't Sewell, Veney, and Sundblad have any eligibility left?" :) 

Gosh, I wish they did!!!!

Bulldog92, you have a great night. We'll start this up again tomorrow. I really enjoyed your company tonight. It was fun and please post anytime!

Guest abovetherim

Next trivia question is who was the LU football player named 1st Team I-AA (now FCS) All-American from Jasper? This guy later played in the NFL for what team and who was the Head Coach? 1. Name the player. 2. Name the NFL team 3. Name the NFL HC.

Guest abovetherim

Now, this is getting fun. Yep, Ruckdad you are 100% correct on all three.

Who was LU's last starting QB and name his Head Coach? 1. The player. 2. The Head Coach

Guest abovetherim

Professor, that is a good way to make a first impression. You're correct. Try the next trivia question. But, you'll need to know a little about some area HS football Head Coaches.

What former Lamar star QB went on to coach at Bridge City, Lumberton, and Liberty among a couple other schools?

Above, you got me there. I'm a sophomore English major at Lamar so I'm a little young for this question and I'm from Baytown. I not familiar with the area's High School coaches, especially the ones you mentioned. I heard about this board from Jonathan. It really looks great compared to the other board you were on. This is a first class website. I guess you are moving up in the world. 8)

BTW, I'll be at the Big Red Mania event on Tuesday to take the pictures you requested.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder