Coaches and this forum

No, I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I often answer questions about my profession and have spoken in public forums or given presentations about it. That includes taking some shots from people.

Honestly, I think it would be very foolish for any fan to seriosuly challenge or criticize a real high school football coach on his tactics. Doing so would undoubtedly result in the person doing the questioning getting embarassed.  I dont care if you played football in high school or coach PEWEE football. Most ex football players were probably not so good at best, so that definitely does not validate your credentials to go questioning a real coach. There is no way that unless you are a real coach and have walked in his shoes that you could seriously ask a question and understand where he/she is coming from.

Now, thats not to say that I think there is anything wrong with asking questions of a coach as long as the one asking the question does so with respect and genuine intentions.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I often answer questions about my profession and have spoken in public forums or given presentations about it. That includes taking some shots from people.

I assume that these people ask you these questions to your face and not by hiding behind some fake name on a website.

I think alot of coaches would probably do it as long as they knew they were not going to get drug over the coals.

That is my whole point.  You can't guarentee that. 

I just got through reading the thread about the Vidor coach.  It got so bad that the moderators had to lock it.  Thats what I saw this becoming.

TVC you are an exceptional person.  Have you ever watched a coach's press conference after a tough loss?

I could see it happening like this.

We pose a question and it goes to Coop or whoever controls posting but does not necessarily get posted publicly. He looks it over and decides if its a fair and reasonable question to pose to the coach AND if the coach is willing to answer publicly. If he thinks it is then he posts it up and lets the coach answer the question but locks the thread so that no one can immediately respond to the coaches answer. If you want to respond, go through the same process and keep it going as long as the coach is willing to continue the discussion and the discussion remains civil and productive.

You know, even then I would wager that a coach would be hesitant to answer publicly. There is just too much risk that an honest answer can be misinterpreted or misconstrued. ITs just too easy to miss the intent or tone of a comment when you are reading comments in type.

TVC you are an exceptional person.  Have you ever watched a coach's press conference after a tough loss?

Only on television. I have talked to a couple in person. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes.

If you go way back to the first page of this thread, you will see that I said that it would not work in this format in the 5th post. There is no need to convince me.

We pose a question and it goes to Coop or whoever controls posting but does not necessarily get posted publicly. He looks it over and decides if its a fair and reasonable question to pose to the coach AND if the coach is willing to answer publicly.

Go back a couple of pages and see where I said almost exactly that. There would be no need to lock or unlock the forums. It would just remain locked only for admin and/or mods.

I still don't think any coach wants to take time out during the season worrying about responding to questions from the public. They have enough on their plate with the upcoming games.

I don't coach but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!!!!! These coaches do not owe any of you any explanation of what they do. They may have to answer to their employers... aka school board or superintendant. For coaches to answer your questions is a no win situation. This is like saying as an umpire I should turn around and explain to the crowd every pitch and why I called it a ball or strike. It is what it is no explanation needed.

I don't coach but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night!!!!!!!! These coaches do not owe any of you any explanation of what they do. They may have to answer to their employers... aka school board or superintendant. For coaches to answer your questions is a no win situation. This is like saying as an umpire I should turn around and explain to the crowd every pitch and why I called it a ball or strike. It is what it is no explanation needed.

I disagree, While I dont think a coach has to justify the way he coaches. I do think some legit football questions in a moderated forum is the least they could do. Without the fans buying tickets and there tax dollars there would be no program far him to coach at. What a coach owes a fan is up far debate but without them he would have a hard time making a living.

I am not takings sides, but I do want to point out who the superintendant and school board work for, the taxpayers.

These coaches do not owe any of you any explanation of what they do. They may have to answer to their employers... aka school board or superintendant.

I don't think it is a matter of owing anyone anything. I personally think that it is interesting listening to what coaches have to say. It does not have to be and should not be confrontational. That is why it could not work on an open forum such as this. There has to be screening of questions.

On KFDM's Sports Extra on the weekends, I like to listen to what the coaches have to say. I am a Nederland fan and most of the coaches on there have nothing to do with Nederland as far as being a foe. That does not mean that it is not interesting to listen to. Having coaches answer questions has nothing to do with owing anyone an answer. It has a  lot to do with people that are just interested in sports talk.

I disagree, While I dont think a coach has to justify the way he coaches. I do think some legit football questions in a moderated forum is the least they could do. Without the fans buying tickets and there tax dollars there would be no program far him to coach at. What a coach owes a fan is up far debate but without them he would have a hard time making a living.

I disagree with you.  If you'd like to talk to a coach, make an appointment and do it face to face.  No coach alive is gonna come on here and answer questions about game planning etc... 

Tickets sales do not fund the athletic program, the programs are usually funded from the general account and you'll pay school taxes whether you watch football or not. 

Guest piratefaithful

I don't think it is a matter of owing anyone anything. I personally think that it is interesting listening to what coaches have to say. It does not have to be and should not be confrontational. That is why it could not work on an open forum such as this. There has to be screening of questions.

On KFDM's Sports Extra on the weekends, I like to listen to what the coaches have to say. I am a Nederland fan and most of the coaches on there have nothing to do with Nederland as far as being a foe. That does not mean that it is not interesting to listen to. Having coaches answer questions has nothing to do with owing anyone an answer. It has a  lot to do with people that are just interested in sports talk.

good point...I like to listen to coaches that have microphones on  during NFL games.I was listening this sunday to Gruden from Tampa bay.It is interesting stuff if you are a sports fan.

almost all college coaches have a coaches talk show.they watch the previous games film and the coach explains what they were trying to do in certain situiations.

ESPN has shows where the fans email questions to the analyst or the coaches and they answer them.I know Mike Leach from Texas tech does is every week on his show.a question does not have to be rude or bashing a coach,.there are dozens of legit questions you could ask a coach..It would just have to be in the right format.

Guest piratefaithful

I disagree with you.  If you'd like to talk to a coach, make an appointment and do it face to face.  No coach alive is gonna come on here and answer questions about game planning etc... 

Tickets sales do not fund the athletic program, the programs are usually funded from the general account and you'll pay school taxes whether you watch football or not. 

you are right..But concession stands help the booster club which in returns helps the athletic programs out.Football around here is the major sport at every school.

if you win more people come to watch,which means more money.if you are a coach and you win then you could probably go to the school board and ask for more money and when everyone is happy it is easier to get more money.If you lose it might be harder to get money if you arent producing.So it is a revolving circle.

A coach doesn't HAVE to explain ANYTHING to the school board on how/why he made a call/decision/etc. If the school board doesn't trust that the coach knows the right thing to do and has a reason for doing it, then they certainly can fire him, but they have NO RIGHT to question his decisions on the field (in HIS CLASSROOM). When the school board has studied the game as much as a coach has, then he may participate in a civil discussion about how the game went, but no right to question his calls. Fire him if you don't like it. Otherwise, leave him alone and let him do his job.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder