Coaches and this forum

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, maybe we can analyze what you do.  That would be pretty fun.

That's the old argument, if you think you can do better, you coach but if you haven't been there, don't criticize.

Of course, then we could never criticize the police unless we have been one, you can't criticize a teacher unless you are a teacher and only three former presidents are alive and since they are the only ones that have been there, they are the only ones that can criticize President Bush.

If everyone had to be in another person's position in order to criticize that person then almost no one can criticize anything. Freedom of speech is a great thing and I think that I retain the right to look into anyone else's profession or make any criticism without having to have been in their shoes in order to do so.  :)

Don't think that it will work.  Because the coach will get bumbarded with questions.

Not if you did it like I suggested....not that any coach would take us up on it. You could however have a forum of moderated questions. I have seen that done at many public forums where people write down questions and a moderator asks them of the speaker.

and like i said he wouldnt comment on a kids performance ,or put the blame on the kid when in fact it might be an athlete's fault.why dont we pass?? well because johnny cant throw or johnny cant catch..a coach will not blame it on that..so it will be hard to answer some questions

We have a show on the site here members listen to on Wednesday Nights we could have a coach on and ask him questions about the upcoming game.

good idea coop... maybe Pm the MOD and he could ask questions to the coach and you could hear your question asked on the site..

No coach in his (or her) right mind would consider answering on this or any forum.  Why would they want to help build their own gallows?  :o I understand the curiosity and even well-intentioned idea of such an endeavor but there would be absolutely no reason a coach would or should subject themselves and their program to anonymous scrutiny.  Second-guessers are always going to be around regardless of how much explaining the coaches do.  I can really picture Dan Hooks or Larry Neuman explaining to their fans OR their opponents why they make decisions as they do. ;D  With that being said, you might be able to con a coach or two to answer some pre-screened questions during the off-season.  They would have to be pretty bored, though! ;)   NOW, if the coaches could also answer anonymously, you could get some candid answers with real insight to the mind of the guys on the sidelines on Friday nights.

................NOW, if the coaches could also answer anonymously, you could get some candid answers with real insight to the mind of the guys on the sidelines on Friday nights.

Wouldn't that be great for candid answers. One of the coaches thinks his receivers are horrible, we just don't know which one of the dozens of teams in the area he was talking about.

Guest maverick24

No coach in his (or her) right mind would consider answering on this or any forum.  Why would they want to help build their own gallows?  :o I understand the curiosity and even well-intentioned idea of such an endeavor but there would be absolutely no reason a coach would or should subject themselves and their program to anonymous scrutiny.  Second-guessers are always going to be around regardless of how much explaining the coaches do.  I can really picture Dan Hooks or Larry Neuman explaining to their fans OR their opponents why they make decisions as they do. ;D  With that being said, you might be able to con a coach or two to answer some pre-screened questions during the off-season.  They would have to be pretty bored, though! ;)   NOW, if the coaches could also answer anonymously, you could get some candid answers with real insight to the mind of the guys on the sidelines on Friday nights.

I agree completely. A winning coach has nothing to answer for. A losing coach would not want to hear from people who have no idea what coaching a H.S. Football team is like.  I think this would be a bad Idea and I think it would be disgracefull to ask a coach to answer questions from a bunch of angry fans!

That's the old argument, if you think you can do better, you coach but if you haven't been there, don't criticize.

Of course, then we could never criticize the police unless we have been one, you can't criticize a teacher unless you are a teacher and only three former presidents are alive and since they are the only ones that have been there, they are the only ones that can criticize President Bush.

If everyone had to be in another person's position in order to criticize that person then almost no one can criticize anything. Freedom of speech is a great thing and I think that I retain the right to look into anyone else's profession or make any criticism without having to have been in their shoes in order to do so.   :)

You missed my point.  People are free to criticize whoever they want.  However, I can't see any coaches wanting to come on to this forum and have anonymous people take shots at them.  Would you in your profession?

If I were a coach there is NO WAY I would get on a message board and waste my time answering questions seriously, not in this type of free for all format. Doing so just presents too much risk and potential for pointless conflict. Maybe face to face, one on one where we can look each other in the eye and understand the context of comments that can only be understood when you look someone in the eye and talk to them. Its too easy to misspeak or misinterpret comments in type.

Its one thing for us to get on here and speculate about this and that with the understanding that it really has no bearing on the coaches decision making process. We are talking just for the sake of fun, to pass the time, and to feel like we are close to the teams we all love.

Its a whole other thing for a coach to be actually be interacting with us and we not really able to truly understand or much less influence his decision making process.

I ask tons of questions on this board,,, why do they do this and WHY do they do that. But when it comes down to it I really dont want those questions answered by a coach. I would never seriously disrespect a coach by actually questioning his reasoning for real. But its fun to armchair quarterback here with all you numbskulls ;), as long as we can keep it in perspective and realize that its just fan talk, for fun. There is no possible way that anyone can take anything that anyone says here seriously, its all just talk. If you do, then you(we) need to get a grip.  At least that is the way that I look at it.  

I agree completely. A winning coach has nothing to answer for. A losing coach would not want to hear from people who have no idea what coaching a H.S. Football team is like.  I think this would be a bad Idea and I think it would be disgracefull to ask a coach to answer questions from a bunch of angry fans!

Your not gonna get questions from angry fans if the questions or moderated. If done correctly you will get some good football questions answered by people that know football.

You missed my point.  People are free to criticize whoever they want.  However, I can't see any coaches wanting to come on to this forum and have anonymous people take shots at them.  Would you in your profession?

No, I wouldn't mind at all. In fact, I often answer questions about my profession and have spoken in public forums or given presentations about it. That includes taking some shots from people.

I've personally heard one coach say, "I don't go out to your job at the plant and tell you which knob to turn, don't you come to my job and tell me what to do. I've gone to school for this and studied this my whole life." I had to laugh at that. . .

I use that analogy at work all the time. You wouldn't think of telling your doctor how to take out your appendix or tell your dentist how to pull a tooth but you are more than willing to tell me how to do my job.......  ;D

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami