LC-M’s Johnson named to Babe Ruth WS All-Tourney Team

LC-M’s Johnson named to Babe Ruth WS All-Tourney Team

Gabriel Pruett

The Orange Leader

Little Cypress-Mauriceville’s Matt Johnson received a great honor this past weekend as he was named to the 2007 16 Year Old Babe Ruth World Series Team.

Johnson, an outfielder, and the Nederland team fell 22-11 in the final game on Saturday to the champions from Mobile, Ala.

Mobile racked up 23 hits in the game and Johnson had a double in the contest as one of Mid-County’s 12 hits.

“They could hit the ball,†Johnson said on Monday. “It was a good game.†Johnson called the selection to the team an honor and said he went into the tournament with high goals for himself.

“That was one of my goalsk,†Johnson added. “I told one of my teammates I wanted us to win the thing and I was going to be named MVP. I tried hard to help us as best I could. It is a great honor. It felt great representing Texas and LC-M.â€

Mid-County started the tournament off with a 9-6 win over Puyallup, Wash. and then defeated Williamsport 9-8. Johnson had a double in the second win. Johnson then had two doubles in Mid-County’s exciting 5-4 win over Union County, Ark. in 10 innings. Johnson doubled in the 10th and Taylor Eaves singled him home for the game-winning run. Mid-County then lost 12-5 to Heartland, Iowa before taking down Fort Smith Ark. 11-4. Johnson singled in the game.

Johnson then homered and single in Mid-County’s 12-8 win over Bentonville, Ark.

“The tournament was one of the best experiences of my life,†Johnson said. “Our host family was incredible. We had great team chemistry and we all had a great time. The championship could have come out a little better.

“Now I have to wait about six to eight months for baseball to start up again. I told someone on Sunday I’m ready for district to start up. We should be pretty good at LC-M again with a lot of starters back and we want to defend our title.â€

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder