Slavery Never Ended -- It Was Perfected!

Reagan

On 4/10/2020 at 8:13 AM, UT alum said:

That’s called change, Hagar.  And if society has no common interests that all must contribute in some way for the good of the whole, it ceases to be a society and the law becomes anarchy. To compare the obligations of citizenship to being a slave is ludicrous in my opinion.

The thread is about slavery.   My post was pointing out that the more power the Govt has, the closer to being slaves we become.   Your post did not refute that.  Instead you went after my list of things I thought would never come to past, merely as an example of our Govt doing things I’d never thought possible.  I stand by those statements.   Good of the whole?  Transgenders comprise 0.58% of the population.   Opening bathrooms to all sexes is not good for the whole.  It’s only good for a minuscule 0.58% of our population, and an unknown number of perverts.   Forcing Christians to go against their beliefs (beliefs clearly based on The Bible, not some rogue interpretation) is not okay.   Jmo

And if you think anything the Govt requires is an obligation of citizenship, you’re not very familiar with our Constitution.   They can require me to turn in my guns, but it’s not Constitutional.   They can require me to pick cotton for someone, but it’s not Constitutional.   When do we become a slave?

And, as is common with liberals, you’re reading comprehension skills are nonexistent.  I didn’t say those things made you a slave, I said the more power government has over you, the closer you come to being a slave.  Big difference hoss.

42 minutes ago, Hagar said:

The thread is about slavery.   My post was pointing out that the more power the Govt has, the closer to being slaves we become.   Your post did not refute that.  Instead you went after my list of things I thought would never come to past, merely as an example of our Govt doing things I’d never thought possible.  I stand by those statements.   Good of the whole?  Transgenders comprise 0.58% of the population.   Opening bathrooms to all sexes is not good for the whole.  It’s only good for a minuscule 0.58% of our population, and an unknown number of perverts.   Forcing Christians to go against their beliefs (beliefs clearly based on The Bible, not some rogue interpretation) is not okay.   Jmo

And if you think anything the Govt requires is an obligation of citizenship, you’re not very familiar with our Constitution.   They can require me to turn in my guns, but it’s not Constitutional.   They can require me to pick cotton for someone, but it’s not Constitutional.   When do we become a slave?

And, as is common with liberals, you’re reading comprehension skills are nonexistent.  I didn’t say those things made you a slave, I said the more power government has over you, the closer you come to being a slave.  Big difference hoss.

+1000 

No... a slave by definition was the property of another, not the government. There were few (if any) rights that were afforded to the enslaved. 

I do, however, think that we have ceded too many of our personal freedoms in exchange for “safety” and “the greater good.”

My take on modern slavery is totally different. I think it was outlawed in the 1860s but definitely exists. Our urban areas are modern plantations.... they just don’t require anybody to get up and head out to the fields and nobody realizes that they are free to go. Dependence on our modern welfare system has ruined the lives of millions of Americans.  

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

No... a slave by definition was the property of another, not the government. There were few (if any) rights that were afforded to the enslaved. 

I do, however, think that we have ceded too many of our personal freedoms in exchange for “safety” and “the greater good.”

My take on modern slavery is totally different. I think it was outlawed in the 1860s but definitely exists. Our urban areas are modern plantations.... they just don’t require anybody to get up and head out to the fields and nobody realizes that they are free to go. Dependence on our modern welfare system has ruined the lives of millions of Americans.  

Agree 100%...welfare,  under good intentions or not, has destroyed countless lives and families.

Sadly, it's used as a political tool simply for votes, even when the results are very clear.