Concerning The Caronavirus, Let's Get Real For A Second Shall We?

Reagan

16 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Without a baseline, and with all numbers being mistrusted as bad guesses, what do you suggest we do to mitigate? 

I’m good with the social distancing concept and promoting hygiene that folks should have been doing before. No need to shut down all these restaurants and businesses IMO, just take precautions. I have continued to work as well as lots of other folks in areas where there are lots of folks together with no problems.  What we shouldn’t do is allow the gov to step in with garbage original predictions of up to 250,000 dead in the US and shut everything down.  We could ban all motor vehicles in the US and save 38,000 deaths by vehicles per year but what would be the cost?  We can handle this without shutting our country down .

33 minutes ago, UT alum said:

Without a baseline, and with all numbers being mistrusted as bad guesses, what do you suggest we do to mitigate? 

Go about our daily lives. Bash the people who weren’t hand washers to begin with.

Haven’t heard about Iran, Italy, or Spain lately. Can they count better than us. Are their numbers false.

55 minutes ago, UT alum said:

How do you know what testing would do? So far, about 10% of those tested in Texas have tested positive. 

Just based on the fact there are more negatives than positives.  Sense you seem to think you are so smart, how do you know that the number would change.  Please enlighten, The Enlightened One.

Cuomo just said, on Fox News, that ICU used to be just a specific number of beds, which is true. NOW, all beds in hospitals are ICU to handle the bulk of Covid-19 cases. My question would be......What happened to the people who were already in the hospital for their emergency care and other medical needs?

On 4/10/2020 at 8:58 AM, LumRaiderFan said:

I’m good with the social distancing concept and promoting hygiene that folks should have been doing before. No need to shut down all these restaurants and businesses IMO, just take precautions. I have continued to work as well as lots of other folks in areas where there are lots of folks together with no problems.  What we shouldn’t do is allow the gov to step in with garbage original predictions of up to 250,000 dead in the US and shut everything down.  We could ban all motor vehicles in the US and save 38,000 deaths by vehicles per year but what would be the cost?  We can handle this without shutting our country down .

Do you have absolutely no concept of scale? Highway miles driven in 2018: 3.2 trillion. 38000 deaths. 600,000 covid infections, 24000 deaths. You see the difference, surely.

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

Do you have absolutely no concept of scale? Highway miles driven in 2018: 3.2 trillion. 38000 deaths. 600,000 covid infections, 24000 deaths. You see the difference, surely.

It’s all a matter of what your goal is. If it’s saving lives, then LumRaiderFan’s point is well-made. I guess it comes down to what is an “acceptable” mortality rate? Moreover, Who decides what is acceptable? Is it the politicians, the CDC, the WHO, the UN?... Who decides that killing millions of babies (abortion) is ok? Who decides how many domestic violence cases brought on by COVID-19 sheltering in place is ok? Who decides how many suicides due to job loss, financial loss, fear, etc. brought on by COVID-19 is ok? 
If you’re basing acceptance on scale, then I guess we need a chart of acceptance based on percentages of death before the (insert entity here) decides on shutting down the world. I’m no scholar, but I can think for myself. And I think we are being lied to by everyone involved. Don’t wear a mask, because it won’t help. But healthcare professionals should definitely wear a mask. Oh wait, everybody wear a mask. 100 people can go into Academy to by ping pong balls and some Ray Ban’s, but you can’t hold church on Easter no matter what. Liquor stores are essential, but you can’t have a funeral. What in living Hell is going on folks?...

2 hours ago, UT alum said:

Missed my point completely about simply shutting our economy down...read Smashmouth's post, excellent points.

And you don't really think we only have 600,000 infected, do you?

There’s no doubt they’re fudging the number of deaths higher.  The models created are so far off, they (whoever in the hail “they” are) want the number as high as possible.   Heard a news story that newborn baby girl died of Covid.  Actual story, mother died & baby was born 22 weeks premature.  Almost assuredly would have died anyway.   And at the end of March, there were more suicides in Cook County, TN than Covid deaths in the whole State.

I’m not advocating doing nothing.   And any call made is not good, but making everyone stir crazy isn’t good either.   Open some things up, but make all wear a mask of some kind.   Restaurants could take some tables out to keep separated, & customers remove mask to eat.  Waiters & waitresses could wear mask also.  Deal is, the call has to be made.   I’m just glad I don’t have to make it.

On 4/15/2020 at 12:10 PM, SmashMouth said:

It’s all a matter of what your goal is. If it’s saving lives, then LumRaiderFan’s point is well-made. I guess it comes down to what is an “acceptable” mortality rate? Moreover, Who decides what is acceptable? Is it the politicians, the CDC, the WHO, the UN?... Who decides that killing millions of babies (abortion) is ok? Who decides how many domestic violence cases brought on by COVID-19 sheltering in place is ok? Who decides how many suicides due to job loss, financial loss, fear, etc. brought on by COVID-19 is ok? 
If you’re basing acceptance on scale, then I guess we need a chart of acceptance based on percentages of death before the (insert entity here) decides on shutting down the world. I’m no scholar, but I can think for myself. And I think we are being lied to by everyone involved. Don’t wear a mask, because it won’t help. But healthcare professionals should definitely wear a mask. Oh wait, everybody wear a mask. 100 people can go into Academy to by ping pong balls and some Ray Ban’s, but you can’t hold church on Easter no matter what. Liquor stores are essential, but you can’t have a funeral. What in living Hell is going on folks?...

Liquor stores because the risk of alcoholics flooding ER’s with the DT’s.

• 2 weeks later...