Thoughts On Parents Attending Practice? Then Talking To Coach about Son Starting

Guest Luv Ya Blue

I usually go to practice when fall practice starts because I've missed football.  I can get a good idea of how the season will go by watching the QB play. I've have been right the last few years because the QBs were inconsistent in practice and it showed during the games. I don't usually go anymore until the next season. I once talked to one of my sons coach after the season was over to ask him if he thought my son had the ability to play a different position. He answered my question and allowed my son to play the position when he was sent down to JV from Varsity last season to work on the position. I never spoke to our head coach unless he spoke to me. He never asked me my opinion on football. Maybe he would still be working in this area  ;) maybe not! A parents only job is to make sure our kid does good in school and is respectful to the coaches and teachers!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Borat

EDBLU, if you are an indicator of the parents mentality at HF this explains why your coaches have left.  It probably also explains why no quality coaches wanted the job.

okay,patitan is going to throw the wrench in...what if there is a kid that's a great wr and not getting much pt.now this kid is good.maybe second best on the team as far as wr goes.comes to practice keeps his nose clean.he's a senior and it's week 3 of the season.he's seen,what about 1 qtr worth of time so far with okay results(lets say caught 6-10).okay the parent say hey,this is the only way "pookie" can get into college because i can't afford it.please play my son more. how would this go over???

okay,patitan is going to throw the wrench in...what if there is a kid that's a great wr and not getting much pt.now this kid is good.maybe second best on the team as far as wr goes.comes to practice keeps his nose clean.he's a senior and it's week 3 of the season.he's seen,what about 1 qtr worth of time so far with okay results(lets say caught 6-10).okay the parent say hey,this is the only way "pookie" can get into college because i can't afford it.please play my son more. how would this go over???

I guess the question would be " Is the kid really that good, where he would get a college scholarship, or is the parents looking through rose colored glasses?" ( which is probably the case in most sitiuations )

I'm pretty sure that most if not all coaches has a potential college level player on their team, he's going to see the field quite often. I believe those sitiuations are to obvious for a coach to disguise.

well the kid may not be D-1. if getting a d-2,3,or juco is all he could do,then would the coach put him in at the parents request???i'm reaching here,but the parent is worried about the kid being depressed or sad about not getting a schlarship to play football.wheather it be ut or blinn.not all coaches see it that way imo.

okay,patitan is going to throw the wrench in... what if there is a kid that's a great wr and not getting much pt.now this kid is good. maybe second best on the team as far as wr goes.comes to practice keeps his nose clean.he's a senior and it's week 3 of the season.he's seen,what about 1 qtr worth of time so far with okay results(lets say caught 6-10).okay the parent say hey,this is the only way "pookie" can get into college because i can't afford it.please play my son more. how would this go over???

I understand a parents frustration if that were to happen but, that would be an unusual set of circumstances. If he is great, maybe second best, and he keeps his nose clean 99.9% of the time he is gonna be on the field.

I attend practices from time to time and I talk to the coaches sometimes. I would never try to tell a coach how to do his job or discuss my sons playing time. Besides, he's the professional, I know Coach Stewart would tell you exactly what he thought if you were to offer coaching advice and chances are (in the most polite way, of course) he would tell you to mind your on business.

pa..........and I'm just throwin' this out there, like you did......would this be an opportunity to teach our young kids a bit of responsibility........What if this player, that sits on the fence, and needs a 'ship to continue school went and did the talking to the coach......and I mean in a very respectable way.........

What if he asked.....in a one on one........Coach what do 'I' need to do to get more playing time??  The coach would not see this as an attack but as a young adult taking responsibility for what he needs to do...........just a thought

I think kids are more afraid to approach a coach if they know there parent has had a talk with the coach on the subject......and the responses I've heard from these types of kids have been  "don't listen to my dad"........and some worse......

EDBLU, if you are an indicator of the parents mentality at HF this explains why your coaches have left.  It probably also explains why no quality coaches wanted the job.

In my statement I was joking thats why there was a smiley face behind it. I wanted the coaches to stay because they allowed my son to play some QB last year. Also if you read all the post I said I don't live there any more. 

Guest Borat

My apologies EDBLU, it's just that I have seen what some of our coaches have  put up with even after winning games. Are you moving to another school within the district?

What if he asked.....in a one on one........Coach what do 'I' need to do to get more playing time??  The coach would not see this as an attack but as a young adult taking responsibility for what he needs to do...........just a thought

This is exactly the way to handle it.  These Kids need to fight their own battles not the parents. The coaches will respect it and usually respond.  This is what the good coaches are wanting from their players.  It's called "Growing up".  And it is great for a parent who understands this to attend practices and watch the coaches working their magic.

I don't think it's about talking to the coach as much as it is about the approach.....knowing when to talk, and what to ask or say.........If the player can make it be about the player and not the coach or anyone else, the player would get farther......IMO.....

Things like.....Coach can I set up a time to talk with you.......Let it be on the Coaches time.......

Coach, What do you think I need to work on to be better then.....Let him tell you what he's looking for........

What do you suggest I do to help me improve at.......this is one of the things he gets paid for coaching and teaching.......

(let me make this clear..... if the player is willing to talk with the coach then he/she also needs to be willing to work extra at what it is that is said in the conversation!!)

Athlete's need to learn to exhaust all options.......If their are coaches that are too egotistical about talking to a High School kid then they don't deserve to be in the profession of Teaching.............Coaches have to be able to communicate with every different types of athletes, learning styles, and know what makes those players tick.............I don't think you could be well respected as a coach if you could not communicate one on one with your athletes........again just MO!!

Its a bad idea to questions any Coach about "Why" a student is not playing.  The best approach is to ask "What can my son (or daughter) do to improve their chances of getting more playing time".  Almost always they will tell you what is holding your child back - sometimes it can be corrected and other times it can't.  We had a boy 2 years ago that was 6'4" and weighed over 250 Lbs but had the aggressiveness of a butterfly - a great kid - just not a football player.  The parents couldn't see that he was more likely to get hurt than start.  If he could get "mad" then he would have been a great player.  Also, yelling at a Coach or talking trash about the Coach behind his back to other people normally will do nothing to help your child - while most Coaches will not punish then kid for the actions of the parent - some will.

Best advice - ask your student to approach the Coaches and ask what they can do to help themsleves.  Advice above is correct - show up for practice - work hard - and keep your nose clean - and generally you will get playing time. :-*

My apologies EDBLU, it's just that I have seen what some of our coaches have  put up with even after winning games. Are you moving to another school within the district?

No, we moved to League City-Clear Creek ISD my son will be playing for Clear Creek High.

Maybe I was blind during my playing days.  I didn't excel in football but I didn't stink either.  The main thing I remember about playing football was the intensity of the game itself.  Loved how I was in another world when the ball was in my hands, how I seemingly felt nothing until the game was over and the adrenaline tank was empty.

I do not remember ever seeing parents at our practices.  I know mine weren't there and I played regularly. 

Football games are won by the players drive, determination and talent to implement the game plan established by the coaches.  More often than not the poor execution of designed plays and lack of preparation is the cause of lost opportunities.

I personnally think that the coaches need the COMPLETE and FULL attention of their players in order to properly access their skill level, both present and future, in order to develop the TEAM, not the player.

Just my honest opinion, whether you agree or not.

Maybe I was blind during my playing days.  I didn't excel in football but I didn't stink either.  The main thing I remember about playing football was the intensity of the game itself.  Loved how I was in another world when the ball was in my hands, how I seemingly felt nothing until the game was over and the adrenaline tank was empty.

I do not remember ever seeing parents at our practices.  I know mine weren't there and I played regularly. 

Football games are won by the players drive, determination and talent to implement the game plan established by the coaches.  More often than not the poor execution of designed plays and lack of preparation is the cause of lost opportunities.

I personnally think that the coaches need the COMPLETE and FULL attention of their players in order to properly access their skill level, both present and future, in order to develop the TEAM, not the player.

Just my honest opinion, whether you agree or not.

I agree

What is it like 1% of high school football players go on to play D1 ball?  And, only about 1% of D1 players go on to the NFL.  So football is not in the long term future of most of these high school kids.

My point is this, these kids should be living in the moment.  Like someone else said "having the time of their lives."  Parents need to let the kids soak up every second of it, because the overwhelming majority of these kids will never play again after high school. 

When these kids look back 10-20 years from now, they will only remember how great it was to be on the team and under the Friday Night Lights.   :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder