If The UIL Ask You To Change One Rule In Hi School Football

I like the NFL ways personally...I think if you fall on the ground without getting touched, that you should be able to get back up and continue. Many interceptions this year i saw, was someone diving for it, and if they were to get back up, it would be a touchdown! Also I'm pretty sure it could help some players. Players could use it as a technique.

Guest Yard Bird

I like the NFL ways personally...I think if you fall on the ground without getting touched, that you should be able to get back up and continue. Many interceptions this year i saw, was someone diving for it, and if they were to get back up, it would be a touchdown! Also I'm pretty sure it could help some players. Players could use it as a technique.

Great Idea.

Also i wish they would move the hash marks in.

Guest DickVitale

Start the season in August and wrap it up in EARLY November...playoffs and all...So it does not interfere with HOOPS SEASON!! ;D

Start the season in August and wrap it up in EARLY November...playoffs and all...So it does not interfere with HOOPS SEASON!! ;D

Basketball is an indoor sport and can be played anytime. Why move football? No need to get heat stroke because someone doesn't want to play in the a/c a month earlier.

Guest DickVitale

Football lovers say that because there is no other sport that runs right into their season, and they don't have to wait on players either! ;)

Change the pass interference rule back the way it was.  Previously, if you were interfered with, you got the ball on that spot PLUS the penalty.  Now,  you only get a penalty, which is so wrong, because it opens up the door for a receiver to be interfered with, and possibly hurt.  Look at it this way, would you rather have the offense get a 15 yd. penalty against you, or a 60 yard bomb?  No Contest.  They should have never touched that rule.

I don't like ties either. Perhaps another quarter or at least a 6 minute quarter to decide the winner. I am not sure of the exact rules of a tie but I think each team gets the ball at the same spot and is given 4 downs to score. I think this spot is within field goal range of most teams. Well if both teams have great defenses and only one team can kick a decent field goal then they will have a big advantage over the other team. JMO. Perhaps someone who knows the rules better than I do could tell me why this is good or not good.

The current system is probably the most fair way to do it. Both teams get the ball an equal number of times and from the same distance. Both teams are either with the wind or against it. If there is a second tie, they swap which team has to go first.

If you just make it a few minutes, like basketball, which team gets the wind? Which team is lucky enough to win the flip and put their best team on the field, offense or defense? It can give one team a decided advantage over the other with nothing more than blind luck.

Change the pass interference rule back the way it was.  Previously, if you were interfered with, you got the ball on that spot PLUS the penalty.  Now,  you only get a penalty, which is so wrong, because it opens up the door for a receiver to be interfered with, and possibly hurt.  Look at it this way, would you rather have the offense get a 15 yd. penalty against you, or a 60 yard bomb?  No Contest.  They should have never touched that rule.

I didnt' even notice the change on this.  I though they got the ball at the spot of the penalty.  When did this change?  I never knew because my Jags don't throw the ball enough... :)

Sell beer at games!!!!!!  just kidding

The interference rule should change like mentioned in a previous post. Also, some advice to some of the refs, you could call holding, offensively or defensively, on every play, but don't feel like you are obligated to do so. Particularly when the hold has no influence on the play.

Sell beer at games!!!!!!  just kidding

The interference rule should change like mentioned in a previous post. Also, some advice to some of the refs, you could call holding, offensively or defensively, on every play, but don't feel like you are obligated to do so. Particularly when the hold has no influence on the play.

Yea, for real?!  A hold on the weakside and the play was a pitch to the strong side.  That realy sets me on fire.  especially when it's a big run! >:( >:(

i hate the nfl over time rules....about 90% of the time the hardest part of OT is winning the flip...drive it about 40 yards and kick it and go to the house..i hate that i think both teams played hard to get to OT atleast let both teams see the ball. 

(stephen a smith)

HOWEVA!!  football is a timed game on a 100 yard field, not a limitless game in someones back yard.

also i almost wish the pass interference rule was the same as the NFL .. during DB drills our coaches told us if we felt like we got burnt just tackle the guy because you'll take 15 yards over 6 points any day....but that to me is cheap

Yea, for real?!  A hold on the weakside and the play was a pitch to the strong side.  That realy sets me on fire.  especially when it's a big run! >:( >:(

Yea...But think about it first, why would an offensive linemen want to 'hold' in the first place if it was going the other way?! I think its good to call it because of the stupidity of the linemen!

I do not think that the NCAA or UIL would change that rule.  It would pretty hard to enforce.  In HS you only have 5 officials to see the game.  AT the next level and beyond you have seven to watch the game.  HS oficials already have enough to watch for and The level of experience from the NCAA to HS, is a hundred miles apart.  You now have first and second year officials calling varsity games.  That did not used to happen, just like a first year coach becoming a head coach. 

The other thing I do not understand, is what do you mean by technique?  I would call it hustle!

I do not think that the NCAA or UIL would change that rule.  It would pretty hard to enforce.  In HS you only have 5 officials to see the game.  AT the next level and beyond you have seven to watch the game.  HS oficials already have enough to watch for and The level of experience from the NCAA to HS, is a hundred miles apart.   You now have first and second year officials calling varsity games.  That did not used to happen, just like a first year coach becoming a head coach. 

The other thing I do not understand, is what do you mean by technique?  I would call it hustle!

I think the main reason for this rule in HS, is safety.  Kids could be trying to get up when they haven't been touched, and could potentially take a bad shot.  I like the rule the way it is, its safer, and as shermdog said, it would be tougher to see with the fewer number of officials.

At least HS changed the rule (a long time ago), that allows the opposing team to advance a fumble. That rule was ridiculous.

I totally agree with what has been said about the pass interference call too.

I do not think that the NCAA or UIL would change that rule.  It would pretty hard to enforce.  In HS you only have 5 officials to see the game.  AT the next level and beyond you have seven to watch the game.  HS oficials already have enough to watch for and The level of experience from the NCAA to HS, is a hundred miles apart.   You now have first and second year officials calling varsity games.  That did not used to happen, just like a first year coach becoming a head coach. 

All that is very true though...I didn't even think about the five officials part...Plus high school doesn't even have Challenges so, if a ref unbelivably said a player didn't get touched while standing back up (but obviously did) and scored a touchdown...THAT WOULD SUCK! Also, yes it should be considered hustle, but i knew someone when i used to play backyard football, who could use it as a technique. You know, like running against the sideline with someone taking an angle on him, and instead of doing a quick stop, just sliding quickly on the ground just out of the defensive player's reach. IT was very hard to stop!

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    CougarCrazy124
    Newest Member
    CougarCrazy124