LC-M Battlin' Bears working hard over the summer

Battlin' Bears working hard over the summer

Van Wade

The Orange Leader

LITTLE CYPRESS — There has been quite a turnout at Little Cypress-Mauriceville High School over the summer.

Battlin’ Bear football players have hit the weightroom and track hard, harder than they have in several years and LC-M Athletic Director Todd Moody is proud of the Bears’ work habits.

The Bears barely missed the playoffs last season, getting nipped by Nederland late in the season as LC-M finished fourth in rugged District 22-4A.

That has just motivated the Bears more as they seek even more BOJO magic this season.

“The kids have displayed great work habits all summer long thus far,†said Moody. “This week has been a little tough with the July 4 holiday and all. They’re coming in here with a lot of confidence and making the most of the opportunity. We’re open pretty much all day long and they’re taking advantage of it.â€

Incoming sophomore Troy Davenport, 15, has certainly been one to use the LC-M facilities as much as possible.

“I try to get up here every single day,†Davenport said. “I have my own little schedule down pat pretty good. I start off by jogging two miles to get here.â€

Davenport played the positions of tailback and cornerback on the freshman team last year and he’s motivated to get more playing time going into his sophomore campaign.

“I played quite a bit last year but I know I can play more,†Davenport said. “I found out high school was a lot tougher than junior high pretty fast last season. Everybody starts getting faster and stronger. I knew I had to dedicate myself to getting more physical and to work harder and I’ve been doing that pretty good since the offseason started.â€

Davenport was collecting quite a bit of sweat jumping rope in the Bear weightroom Thursday.

“I jump rope everyday,†said Davenport. “It helps build strength and conditioning in your legs and it even helps out your upper body too. Playing tailback and cornerback, your legs are so important and that’s what I work on the most. Hitting the track is important and so is running the stands. All of that helps you build a whole lot of stamina.â€

Without question, Davenport likes what he sees in the Battlin’ Bears’ future.

“Everyone believes that we can be winners,†said Davenport. “Coach Moody has us really pumped up about what we can accomplish. A lot of people have been up here working hard and pushing everyone to be the best. To accomplish goals, you have to do it as a team and the turnout all summer long has been awesome.â€

So what are Davenport’s plans for the upcoming season?

“Hopefully I can make a good impact on the JV team and continue to learn and just get better,†Davenport said. “The ultimate would be to make the varsity team. I know that’s coming down the road. I’m just going to continue to work hard and give it my best effort every day.â€

The Battlin’ Bears should be right in the hunt for District 22-4A supremacy this season. LC-M has a nice early-season schedule. All three of the Bears’ non-district games with Caney Creek, West Orange-Stark and Houston Kashmere are in the friendly confines of Battlin’ Bear Stadium.

LC-M also has last year’s first and second-place teams Dayton and Beaumont Central at home in 22-4A play along with Beaumont Ozen and Nederland. LC-M’s 22-4A away games include Nederland, Port Neches-Groves and Orange County rival Vidor.

Also, a new twist in District 22-4A this season, all the district games will start at 7 p.m. instead of the old 7:30 p.m. starts.

Guest Kelly Football

I said 2 years ago when Todd Moody arrived give him 2 season and they'll make the playoffs. Well this year they will make it!

Guest LCM Volleyball

I'm serious as i can be, we really have a shot this year. Players have worked hard all Summer like never before with a great coach. Go BOJO

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder