Anybody going to the Bayou Bowl?

• 2 weeks later...

West Brook pair confident of Texas team

Chavis and Coleman are certain that their team won't disappoint fans.

The former West Brook High School football standouts will suit up for the same team one last time today before they head off to college.

Chavis and Coleman were selected to play in the fifth Bayou Bowl, which is scheduled for 8 p.m. today at Baytown's Stallworth Stadium.

"We are going to definitely win the game," Chavis said. "We have some of the greatest football players in the area on this team, and we are really playing well together."

The game pits all-star high school players from Texas against all-star players from Louisiana.

"It's not very often that you get a chance to represent your state," Coleman said. "We have a good team, and I am really looking forward to playing in the game. I think we will represent our state well."

For the last two years, Louisiana has come away with victories. Louisiana beat Texas 7-3 in 2005 and 10-7 in 2006. Texas won 32-29 in 2003 and 17-15 the following year.

"Our goal is to win anyway we can," Chavis said. "Everybody on the team is excited about playing, and I am going to do whatever I can to help my team win."

The players from the Texas squad have participated in two-a-day practices since Tuesday to prepare for the game.

"It's been pretty hot in practice but that hasn't really bothered us," said Coleman, who signed with the University of Iowa. "All of the players are used to the heat because of football practice. It sort of feels like we are in the beginning part of the football season. Most of the players on the team hadn't played in a while so we were all trying to regain our focus and prepare for the game."

When players had down time in practice, most of the team took time out to get to know one another.

Chavis, who signed with Texas A&M, establish friendships with other Aggie signees in practice.

"I've gotten to know five other players that are going to A&M," Chavis said. "I already knew some players on the team already, but I think meeting new recruits is an advantage to me. I think I will feel a little bit more comfortable when practice starts at A&M because I will already know some of the freshman on the team."

Chavis, a defensive back/linebacker, and Coleman, a linebacker/defensive end, helped lead the Bruins to a share of the District 21-5A title this season. It was the first championship for West Brook since 1994. The Bruins made their second consecutive appearance in the third round of the playoffs.

"We both want to play to the best of our ability," said Coleman. "I definitely want to showcase my talent in the game and I am pretty sure Billy wants to as well. Our goal is to represent Southeast Texas and the state well in the game."

i will definitely be there. got the fever now. just around the corner. will be wearing my dayton shirt.  ;D

Me too. I went and helped serve food to the players last night at the fan fest. Seems like an excellent bunch of boys. It is going to be an excellent game.

There will be a battle of the bands at half time. Should be good, I heard one of the bands was Kashmere.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NEWton86
    Newest Member
    NEWton86