***SETXSPORTS.com Final Regular Season Poll***

Released by MIF04

SETXSPORTS.COM

BASEBALL TOP TEN

WEEK TEN – REGULAR SEASON FINAL

The regular season wound to a close with exciting finishes, several playoffs and a slew of near misses.  With the playoffs looming later this week, here is what we have to look forward to until then:

(1)   Silsbee vs. HJ playoff game Monday night at Vidor for 3rd and final playoff spot

(2)   Splendora vs. Liberty game Monday night to determine 2nd and 3rd place in that district.  Loser gets Bridge City, winner gets winner of Silsbee/HJ

With that being said, here is our Regular Season Final Top Ten:

1.   West Brook (1)

The Bruins close out the 21-5A title with convincing wins over Humble and Channelview.  No rest for WB as 5A district winners no longer get a bye week…they open the playoffs Thursday in a best-of-three series with Pasadena Memorial.

2.   LCM (2)

The surprising Bears clinch 22-4A in style…a 10-0 romp over play-off bound Vidor.  The Bears do get a week off to rest on their laurels before jumping into the thick of the playoff hunt.  They do have a warmup game scheduled…against 2A power Woodville.

3.   BARBERS HILL (3)

The Hill prepared themselves for Round 1 of the playoffs by outscoring last week’s opponents 27-1.  The Eagles can start erasing the disappointment of a runner-up finish in 21-4A with a deep playoff run beginning this week with the Vidor Pirates.

4.   JASPER (4)

Coach Mixon and the Bulldogs claimed the 21-3A title with their wild 10-8 win over Bridge City on Friday night.  Make no mistake…the champs of perhaps the most competitive 3A district in the State should make a lot of noise come playoff time.

5.   PNG (7)

The Indians righted their ship with a 2-0 week thereby securing 2nd place in 22-4A.  Their 1st round opponent (Huffman) is dangerous, especially with Michael Listi on the mound.  Look for this to be a competitive 3 game series.

6.   BRIDGE CITY (5)

The Cards secured their playoff spot Tuesday thanks to Johnny Dishon’s grand slam in their 4-2 win over HJ.  That glee turned to disappointment when Jasper wrestled the district crown from BC’s hands; however, no time for tears as the Cards jump right into the playoffs this week, facing the loser of the Liberty/Splendora playoff.

7.   HUFFMAN (10)

The Falcons are on a late season roll, having knocked off BH and going 2-0 this past week.  They draw a tough 1st round opponent in PNG and will undoubtedly feel the loss of P Heath Arnold in that series.  Listi, Sipe and company, however, promise to be more than prepared for the Indians.

8.   VIDOR (6)

What a long strange trip its been – a 1-2 week turned into sheer joy when the Pirates rocked Nederland in Saturday’s playoff to take the 3rd and final playoff spot in 22-4A.  Their reward?  A date with BH …but one they’ll gladly make as the Pirates enter the playoffs for the 1st time in school history.

9.   TIE:  SILSBEE ( and HARDIN JEFFERSON (9)

The 9th and 10th spots go to the 2 teams left fighting for the last unclaimed playoff spot in Southeast Texas.  After seeing the hopes seemingly lost due to a 4-2 loss to BC, the HJ Hawks got new life when Silsbee (even with ace Joel Schooling on the mound) got rocked 11-4 by Hamshire-Fannett.  The result?  A 1 game playoff tonight at Vidor.  One goes on, the other goes home.

SMALL SCHOOL:

1.   Buna (the Cougars complete a huge turnaround and emerge as wire-to-wire district champs)

2.   Woodville (as usual, the smoke clears and the Eagles are once again district champs, ready for another playoff run)

3.   High Island (congrats to Coach Hooker and the Cardinals – 1st trip to the playoffs since 1998 and a district title to boot)

4.   Pineland West Sabine (state ranked and loaded to go deep in the playoffs)

5.   TIE:  Colmesneil/Evadale (Both these teams were tough luck runner-ups in their district but promise to rebound come playoff time)

Some tough finishes for some this year.  Nederland, who nearly rose from the dead only to see it slip away in a playoff.  Dayton, who hung tough all year long, only to fall victim to a tough 3 game final week.  Ozen, who started the season with such promise, only to find themselves unable to piece it together during district play.  Hamshire-Fannett, who played so many games tough only to find every break going against them (until their season ending 11-4 win over Silsbee).  Hopefully, those near misses turn into happy finishes in 2008.

So, this is it…our final Top Ten for the season.  For me, it is my final Top Ten ever as I will move on to greener (or at least different) pastures next year.  I hope the Top Ten has been enjoyable…I know it has sparked some debate from time to time.  The proof, however, is always decided on the playing field.  For me, I’ve loved every minute of it.  Thanks for reading.

Great job all year MIF.  I know everyone has enjoyed it.  Who ever takes over next year will have tough standards to live up to.  You always seem very well informed.  Might I start by recommending adminbaberuth.  Very well informed and should be around for a while.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    cfbswami
    Newest Member
    cfbswami