USC coach to talk to Mayo about marijuana charge

USC coach to talk to Mayo about marijuana charge

Southern California coach Tim Floyd reserved comment Saturday in the wake of star recruit O.J. Mayo being cited for misdemeanor marijuana possession late Friday in Huntington, W.Va.

According to reports, Mayo was one of four men cited for possession after the car they were riding in was pulled over, according to Cabell County Sheriff's Deputy Doug Adams.

"I'm not going to have any response on it until I know more about it," Floyd told reporters after USC lost to Oregon 81-57 in the championship game of the Pac-10 tournament Saturday night in Los Angeles. "I'm going to talk to O.J. before I talk to you guys."

Mayo, who starred for Huntington High School, is considered by many to be the nation's top high school basketball player. It is the second incident involving the Trojans' signee, who was suspended three games as punishment for being ejected and making contact with a referee in a Jan. 26 game.

Mayo transferred this season from Cincinnati's North College Hill to Huntington and signed a letter of intent in November to play next season at USC.

I haven't kept up with youth/highschool  basketball probably since the 1980's and I had no idea what level it has reached until my sons started playing Little Dribblers this past year. I didn't realize how some schools have become basketball factories and how the AAU basketball program  has managed to gain so much power. Boosters are able to funnel monies to AAU teams, etc, etc, etc.

But maybe this has always been happening around the country, because Texas was late in letting athletes perform outside of their high school sports.

This kid Mayo was able to transfer to another high school in his senior year without residency requirements?  Hmmm? I think I'll take my son out to the court today and go shoot an extra 500 jumpers for practice.

I haven't kept up with youth/highschool  basketball probably since the 1980's and I had no idea what level it has reached until my sons started playing Little Dribblers this past year. I didn't realize how some schools have become basketball factories and how the AAU basketball program  has managed to gain so much power. Boosters are able to funnel monies to AAU teams, etc, etc, etc.

But maybe this has always been happening around the country, because Texas was late in letting athletes perform outside of their high school sports.

This kid Mayo was able to transfer to another high school in his senior year without residency requirements?  Hmmm? I think I'll take my son out to the court today and go shoot an extra 500 jumpers for practice.

;D lol

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    kush1298
    Newest Member
    kush1298