Muhammad Ali

PhatMack19

10 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Look it up....I'm no conspiracy theorists, but it's been said in MANY circles, and if it IS possible, I think it was done. Just a theory. 

Did you see the Ali/Holmes fight? OMG.....that fight should have been stopped. Even Holmes looked stopped punching, looked at the ref, the ref didn't stop it and he went back to pounding Ali. If that didn't bring on shaken brain syndrome (not sure if that is what it is called) I don't know what can.

You are dead wrong on how people felt about Ali. You are always going to have haters no matter who it is. People didn't know what to think about Ali. There was no one prior that had a mouth on him like Ali. He took some warming up to, and really, you know this. Go ask any white man who the greatest boxer ever is. You just like to blow off steam

2 minutes ago, baddog said:

Did you see the Ali Holmes fight? OMG.....that fight should have been stopped. Even Holmes looked stopped punching, looked at the ref, the ref didn't stop it and he went back to pounding Ali. If that didn't bring on shaken brain syndrome (not sure if that is what it is called) I don't know what can.

You are dead wrong on how people felt about Ali. You are always going to have haters no matter who it is. People didn't know what to think about Ali. There was no one prior that had a mouth on him like Ali. He took some warming up to, and really, you know this. Go ask any white man who the greatest boxer ever is. You just like to blow off steam

Can one get Parkinson's from brain trauma? Michael J. Fox didn't get that memo! Whenever someone is outspoken, yes, certain people that are not used to someone of that "skin tone", if you will, being so brash and fearless, will automatically not like him. YES....I can FULLY relate...Stevenash knows that I am a quite likable guy, but I have the tendency to call it as I see it, and that may take some getting used to by many on here that don't look like me....You ask some white men on here who the greatest boxer was and they might answer "Rocky Marciano"! LOL....Its funny, but somehow I don't think I am 100% wrong on that assumption!

44 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

In theory, yes, I guess anyone could be. However, in order to be racist, you must feel as though your race is superior to others. And we all know who really feels that way. I will give you a clue. Those who want to make America "great" again....smh.

And you being from Lumberton, I KNOW how you feel about other races that do not look like you, but I won't expand on that today.  How can you say that THIS country gave Muhammed Ali ANYTHING in those days? In the Olympics he fought under the name "Cassius Clay".  Him carrying the darn torch is not the same as going into another country and KILLING people that did nothing to him! I am also quite sure he was ASKED to carry the torch and was not forced to...Fact is, he was not accepted by the vast majority of whites until he was no longer able to speak publically about his plight and the plight of others that look like him, due to having Parkinson's disease, which by the way, I believe he was injected with by the good ol folks of the US of A, in an effort to silence him. That's what most people like you do...Find SOME way to discredit a person that's obviously one of the greatest sports figure of our time, by saying things like "he was great, but he dodged the draft though". We all know why...Its ok...No matter what YOU people here in good ol SE Texas feel, Muhammed Ali was and IS still THE GREATEST. Rest in POWER, champ.

You don'the know anything about me and you have never seen a racist comment from me. You, however, spew them out on a regular basis...Confederate flag on the double wide...coach didn't get recognized by the "good old boy" system...blah, blah,blah.

Of course, all the other folks you're going back and forth with must be from Lumberton too, right?

smh

3 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

You don'the know anything about me and you have never seen a racist comment from me. You, however, spew them out on a regular basis...Confederate flag on the double wide...coach didn't get recognized by the "good old boy" system...blah, blah,blah.

Of course, all the other folks you're going back and forth with must be from Lumberton too, right?

smh

How many black kids go to Lumberton schools? How many black families are allowed to buy homes there? I know one that tried to, and the realtor thought she was white and explained how they try hard to keep black people out of Lumberton. THAT happened, so sorry if I have drawn the conclusion that Lumberton residents are, for the most part, card carrying racists.

14 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

How many black kids go to Lumberton schools? How many black families are allowed to buy homes there? I know one that tried to, and the realtor thought she was white and explained how they try hard to keep black people out of Lumberton. THAT happened, so sorry if I have drawn the conclusion that Lumberton residents are, for the most part, card carrying racists.

I doubt folks from Lumberton or anywhere else are too concerned about the conclusion you draw about them..you seem to need very little evidence to brand someone a racist. 

Dick, you almost made a good post, but you had to throw that 'skin tone' remark in there. Back in those days, any brash, loud mouth individual was unusual and tough to like immediately.

My brother-in-law lives in Lumberton. Had a black man who worked for him. He was welcomed anytime and even sat at their dinner table. You shouldn't throw out blanket statements about entire communities like that. You really don't know.

How many white people can rent the Compro Event Center? I know someone who tried and was denied. Guess why?

No one is perfect but we try.

1 hour ago, Dick Vitale said:

Drawing conclusions on a single incident?  Interesting

29 minutes ago, REBgp said:

So where do you live Dick?  I'm curious to hear, based on how you draw conclusions, what city, or town you live in that is devoid of racism.  

To counter Dicks no blacks allowed statement 

what are the chances of a White person being in Admin of BISD OR PAISD?? Unless the state appoints them as in the BISD situation

FACT

1 hour ago, Whoa said:

what are the chances of a White person being in Admin of BISD OR PAISD?? Unless the state appoints them as in the BISD situation

FACT

Todd Sutherland once applied at Ozen for the head basketball job.  Was he denied the job because he wasn't qualified?

2 hours ago, Whoa said:

FACT

WRONG...Ever hear of a guy named RODNEY CAVENESS? Port Neches Supt.? Yeah well he was an ADMIN in BISD without state intervention. There were PLENTY more too...How many black coaches are even EMPLOYED in Lumberton? Well there are white coaches in Port Arthur AND Beaumont! Any black coaches at HJ? I would venture to say NO to that as well...Non since Carey Palmer...no assistants even...PLENTY black kids playing there....no coaches...Vidor? Bridge City? Port Neches? Nederland MAY have ONE assistant. Come on man, that argument is GARBAGE! Its not proportionate, no matter HOW you slice it! Port Arthur Lincoln had coaches for YEARS, just on the basketball staff alone...EVEN Houston WHEATLEY! They had white coaches on staff too, in case you were wondering...Central's head coach...WHITE...Think a black coach would even get an INTERVIEW at Evadale? NO. Buna? HA! NOPE! That's not something you want to compare Mr. Whoa....try again.

3 hours ago, REBgp said:

So where do you live Dick?  I'm curious to hear, based on how you draw conclusions, what city, or town you live in that is devoid of racism.  

Still waiting for your answer To this.

So if there are black kids playing at a school ( cant think of many where that isn't the case) the coach should be black?  Before Carey Palmer, HJ also had Stan Hill who wound up in a Dallas School.  Hj also has a black assistant principal.  Should people be hired because of the color of their skin or because of their competence?  Why wasn't Sutherland hired at Ozen?

19 minutes ago, stevenash said:

So if there are black kids playing at a school ( cant think of many where that isn't the case) the coach should be black?  Before Carey Palmer, HJ also had Stan Hill who wound up in a Dallas School.  Hj also has a black assistant principal.  Should people be hired because of the color of their skin or because of their competence?  Why wasn't Sutherland hired at Ozen?

They should be hired according to their ability...THATS my point...When did Sutherland apply at Ozen? After Boutte left? I have no idea why they didn't hire him? But if he were the most qualified, perhaps they SHOULD have. I don't know...But he would have a better chance in BISD then a black coach would in Vidor, Bridge City, Lumberton, or Port Neches for example. Its not proportionate, stevenash. Predominately black schools will hire a white coach or admin in a snap...will predominately white school districts do the same? NO.

1 hour ago, Dick Vitale said:

They should be hired according to their ability...THATS my point...When did Sutherland apply at Ozen? After Boutte left? I have no idea why they didn't hire him? But if he were the most qualified, perhaps they SHOULD have. I don't know...But he would have a better chance in BISD then a black coach would in Vidor, Bridge City, Lumberton, or Port Neches for example. Its not proportionate, stevenash. Predominately black schools will hire a white coach or admin in a snap...will predominately white school districts do the same? NO.

I am pretty close to one particular coach and you know to who I am referring.   I can tell you that twice, in his coaching career, he was told by administrators not to bother applying because they "couldn't hire a white coach".  Works both ways.

I know of a kid that was trying to get a scholarship he played corner-back and ran a true 4.5 and a college coach told him he would never play corner-back in college because he was the wrong color well another college got him and made him a strong safety. So yes it works both ways. Oh by the way he was white!

On June 6, 2016 at 6:18 PM, Dick Vitale said:

I'm a Realtor.  I sell houses to black people all over the area.  Give my number out to your friends and I'll buy you a beer or something.  

On 6/6/2016 at 6:18 PM, Dick Vitale said:

Several actually. There are I believe 4 black families in my neighborhood alone. I live in West-wood edition...I believe PhatMack may even have some rent houses in the neighborhood. I don't buy your story about the Realitor simply because saying that could cause her license to be taken.

But back on SUBJECT.......I think Ali was one of the first athletes to brand themselves. Everyone knew who he was, a household name....... 

20 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

Several actually. There are I believe 4 black families in my neighborhood alone. I live in West-wood edition...I believe PhatMack may even have some rent houses in the neighborhood. I don't buy your story about the Realitor simply because saying that could cause her license to be taken.

But back on SUBJECT.......I think Ali was one of the first athletes to brand themselves. Everyone knew who he was, a household name....... 

Don't care what you buy, but it DID happen...Friend of mine from Houston...she ended up turning the job DOWN because of it. You folks can be in denial about this sort of thing all you want, but it happens every day...you're just not the recipients of it so in your mind it doesn't exist....sad. 

12 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Don't care what you buy, but it DID happen...Friend of mine from Houston...she ended up turning the job DOWN because of it. You folks can be in denial about this sort of thing all you want, but it happens every day...you're just not the recipients of it so in your mind it doesn't exist....sad. 

Whites get passed on jobs in favor of less qualified minorities...happens daily. What the realtor supposedly did is illegal. Hiring less qualified minorities is legal, encouraged, and subject to punishment if a business does not comply with the racist practice. So in your mind does this exist?

Back on subject...I heard a guy (someone on TV I didn't recognize) talking about Ali. He said that "Ali was a very humble man". I think even Ali would have laughed at that one. Ali might have been humble in his personal life, I have no idea, but his public persona was definitely brash.

14 minutes ago, Englebert said:

Whites get passed on jobs in favor of less qualified minorities...happens daily. What the realtor supposedly did is illegal. Hiring less qualified minorities is legal, encouraged, and subject to punishment if a business does not comply with the racist practice. So in your mind does this exist?

Back on subject...I heard a guy (someone on TV I didn't recognize) talking about Ali. He said that "Ali was a very humble man". I think even Ali would have laughed at that one. Ali might have been humble in his personal life, I have no idea, but his public persona was definitely brash.

Dont you think it is interesting that many of the folks who think Trump is brash and a self promoter worship Ali for those same qualities?