Muhammad Ali

PhatMack19

5 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Only because you both decided to tarnish his greatness somehow, by calling the man a draft dodger, unnecessarily so, and to no avail....shame...why?

Haha Dick, you're still flunking reading comprehension.  And it appears, comprehension in general.   

27 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

He decided not to go and fight for people that oppressed him, and FACED THEM HEAD UP....He didn't RUN anywhere.  To me to run is to dodge....Ali didn't do that.

Now I understand.  If one does not view a word/phrase semantically as you do, they are wrong in their interpretation?  I thought the left was the champion of tolerance and diversity?

3 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Now I understand.  If one does not view a word/phrase semantically as you do, they are wrong in their interpretation?  I thought the left was the champion of tolerance and diversity?

It is what it is....He didn't DODGE anything. And for any of you to paint him as such, in death, is wrong.

53 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

Did you or did you not call Ali a draft dodger? 

I'll try one more time, and try and keep it simple so you can understand.   Okay, you ready?   Stay with me now.  

The term Draft dodger, was used to describe draft evaders, or evasion.  That's the intentional decision not to comply with the military conscription of one's country.  That is what Ali did.   It doesn't matter why.  It doesn't matter that you may think he had a good reason.   As for as I know, he had no qualms about it.   Why you do is a mystery.   

9 hours ago, Dick Vitale said:

...............Jack Nicklaus is no where NEAR the world figure as Ali was, and he never will be.

That is very true. 

It is also very true that Obama is very selective on his praise and outrage and most of it appears based on race or party affiliation. 

9 hours ago, tvc184 said:

That is very true. 

It is also very true that Obama is very selective on his praise and outrage and most of it appears based on race or party affiliation. 

that can also be said about almost everyone on this board, do we get a pass

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I think his net worth was $50 million when he died...doesn't sound like he was too oppressed.

A country that can afford you that kind of opportunity sounds like one worth fighting for.

You best believe when he was drafted into the army, he was not worth that much. As a matter of fact, he was hated by the majority back then. Fight for them? For WHAT???

DV, I can understand what you are saying about being oppressed by people.  Can you tell me why, if this oppression was so troubling, did he elect to represent ( essentially those same people) this country in the 1960 Olympics?  The Islamic faction that he joined was one that preached separatism.

20 hours ago, Dick Vitale said:

He decided not to go and fight for people that oppressed him, and FACED THEM HEAD UP....He didn't RUN anywhere.  To me to run is to dodge....Ali didn't do that.

I opposed the Vietnam war, but if I had been drafted, I would have gone. Too many other young men of all colors had died so that I could enjoy living in America. I had a high draft number and was the sole surviving male in the family (my Dad and brother died in '68). 

Funny how we are told to look up the definition of racism, while we are all at the mercy of Dickie's 'interpretation' of the definition of draft dodger. Ali's dodging of the draft does not make me hate him. He broke the law and paid for it, albeit lightly.

Sorry, had to post that. I'm truly done now Dick.

8 minutes ago, baddog said:

I opposed the Vietnam war, but if I had been drafted, I would have gone. Too many other young men of all colors had died so that I could enjoy living in America. I had a high draft number and was the sole surviving male in the family (my Dad and brother died in '68). 

Funny how we are told to look up the definition of racism, while we are all at the mercy of Dickie's 'interpretation' of the definition of draft dodger. Ali's dodging of the draft does not make me hate him. He broke the law and paid for it, albeit lightly.

Sorry, had to post that. I'm truly done now Dick.

Did you even look up the word racist yet? Is my interpretation not accurate? Did he face this situation without running to Canada as many whites did during that era? Don't worry....I'll wait...Dog.

1 hour ago, Dick Vitale said:

Did you even look up the word racist yet? Is my interpretation not accurate? Did he face this situation without running to Canada as many whites did during that era? Don't worry....I'll wait...Dog.

Dickie- are you the one that stated it was not possible for a black person to be racist?

1 hour ago, Dick Vitale said:

You best believe when he was drafted into the army, he was not worth that much. As a matter of fact, he was hated by the majority back then. Fight for them? For WHAT???

No he wasn't...but this is country gave him the opportunity to use his talent to accumulate that kind of wealth and influence.

Stevenash asked a good question...why was he proud enough to fight in the Olympics for this oppressive country AND carry the torch in 2012 but not fight for them when drafted?

He was a great boxer, probably the greatest, but he was also a draft dodger...that was the original question posed in the thread and that's my opinion on the matter.

12 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Agree- thought that was pretty much universally accepted

In theory, yes, I guess anyone could be. However, in order to be racist, you must feel as though your race is superior to others. And we all know who really feels that way. I will give you a clue. Those who want to make America "great" again....smh.

58 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

No he wasn't...but this is country gave him the opportunity to use his talent to accumulate that kind of wealth and influence.

Stevenash asked a good question...why was he proud enough to fight in the Olympics for this oppressive country AND carry the torch in 2012 but not fight for them when drafted?

He was a great boxer, probably the greatest, but he was also a draft dodger...that was the original question posed in the thread and that's my opinion on the matter.

And you being from Lumberton, I KNOW how you feel about other races that do not look like you, but I won't expand on that today.  How can you say that THIS country gave Muhammed Ali ANYTHING in those days? In the Olympics he fought under the name "Cassius Clay".  Him carrying the darn torch is not the same as going into another country and KILLING people that did nothing to him! I am also quite sure he was ASKED to carry the torch and was not forced to...Fact is, he was not accepted by the vast majority of whites until he was no longer able to speak publically about his plight and the plight of others that look like him, due to having Parkinson's disease, which by the way, I believe he was injected with by the good ol folks of the US of A, in an effort to silence him. That's what most people like you do...Find SOME way to discredit a person that's obviously one of the greatest sports figure of our time, by saying things like "he was great, but he dodged the draft though". We all know why...Its ok...No matter what YOU people here in good ol SE Texas feel, Muhammed Ali was and IS still THE GREATEST. Rest in POWER, champ.

18 minutes ago, Dick Vitale said:

In theory, yes, I guess anyone could be. However, in order to be racist, you must feel as though your race is superior to others. And we all know who really feels that way. I will give you a clue. Those who want to make America "great" again....smh.

And you being from Lumberton, I KNOW how you feel about other races that do not look like you, but I won't expand on that today.  How can you say that THIS country gave Muhammed Ali ANYTHING in those days? In the Olympics he fought under the name "Cassius Clay".  Him carrying the darn torch is not the same as going into another country and KILLING people that did nothing to him! I am also quite sure he was ASKED to carry the torch and was not forced to...Fact is, he was not accepted by the vast majority of whites until he was no longer able to speak publically about his plight and the plight of others that look like him, due to having Parkinson's disease, which by the way, I believe he was injected with by the good ol folks of the US of A, in an effort to silence him. That's what most people like you do...Find SOME way to discredit a person that's obviously one of the greatest sports figure of our time, by saying things like "he was great, but he dodged the draft though". We all know why...Its ok...No matter what YOU people here in good ol SE Texas feel, Muhammed Ali was and IS still THE GREATEST. Rest in POWER, champ.

Dickie- No stereotyping by you, right?

And  just how was the grand scheme to  "inject him" carried out?  Since Parkinsons is a somewhat gradual disease, couldnt he have told on "the good ol folks of the US of A" before he could no longer speak?

Injectible Parkinson's Disease.......what an idea. Only you could come up with something like that. Your education precedes you. Dick, you are so full of it and full of yourself you make inane statements such as that. The anti-black conspiracy.....man oh man.

I couldn't resist posting about that comment.

13 minutes ago, baddog said:

Injectible Parkinson's Disease.......what an idea. Only you could come up with something like that. Your education precedes you. Dick, you are so full of it and full of yourself you make inane statements such as that. The anti-black conspiracy.....man oh man.

I couldn't resist posting about that comment.

Look it up....I'm no conspiracy theorist, but it's been said in MANY circles, and if it IS possible, I think it was done. Just a theory. 

12 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Dickie- No stereotyping by you, right?

And  just how was the grand scheme to  "inject him" carried out?  Since Parkinsons is a somewhat gradual disease, couldnt he have told on "the good ol folks of the US of A" before he could no longer speak?

You think he would KNOW that this was done to him? Kind of like the TUSKEGEE EXPERIMENTS? Ohhhh, you guys forgot about that huh? Don't act like it's not possible..SMH