POLL SHOWS 9 of 10 NATIVE AMERICANS OK WITH WASH REDSKINS

Hagar

1 hour ago, REBgp said:

It should be a point of pride to native Americans.  You name football mascots after the brave, tough, things for the most part.

Heck, I'm only part Indian and I'm proud of it. 

Wow-   you mean you are of Indian heritage and are not "offended" by the name of the team?  You, sir, are not enlightened.

27 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Wow-   you mean you are of Indian heritage and are not "offended" by the name of the team?  You, sir, are not enlightened.

You will find many people claim Indian ancestry. If you ask 20 Black people if they have Indian blood, over 90% will will  say "yes." But back to the subject matter. I will make contact with my wife's cousin in Arizona who is a Navajo Indian living in the Four Corners. She's full-blooded and deep into their culture. I will get back hopefully with answers.

20 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

You will find many people claim Indian ancestry. If you ask 20 Black people if they have Indian blood, over 90% will will  say "yes." But back to the subject matter. I will make contact with my wife's cousin in Arizona who is a Navajo Indian living in the Four Corners. She's full-blooded and deep into their culture. I will get back hopefully with answers.

Claiming Indian ancestry?  Like Elizabeth ( Pocahontas) Warren did?  Dove, I know you mean well but asking one person will not accurately reflect the opinion of many thousands of people.  Additionally, I am concerned about how you will phrase the question.

1 hour ago, stevenash said:

Claiming Indian ancestry?  Like Elizabeth ( Pocahontas) Warren did?  Dove, I know you mean well but asking one person will not accurately reflect the opinion of many thousands of people.  Additionally, I am concerned about how you will phrase the question.

Stevie, I 'm going to ask her if she has heard anything about the mood in her hood.

4 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Does not have to be scientific. If she is able to give me a "feel" for what her elders really think, that enough for me. The original source :)

4 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Does not have to be scientific. If she is able to give me a "feel" for what her elders really think, that enough for me. The original source :)

^^^^^^^double posted....

Gee, I thought more than one person had to be polled to get a "feel". Silly me.

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know there have been other polls with a significantly higher number of native Americans saying they were offended by the term.  Either way, the fact that a term that is considered a slur by a decent amount of the population is used as a mascot is pretty ridiculous.  I'm curious how many people who don't see a problem with the name would walk up to a Native American and say "what's up, redskin?"  I'm willing to bet that number is zero.  

51 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I don't have a dog in this fight, but I know there have been other polls with a significantly higher number of native Americans saying they were offended by the term.  Either way, the fact that a term that is considered a slur by a decent amount of the population is used as a mascot is pretty ridiculous.  I'm curious how many people who don't see a problem with the name would walk up to a Native American and say "what's up, redskin?"  I'm willing to bet that number is zero.  

If this is so offensive to them, why has it taken 40  or 50 years to surface?

In todays PC society, I think it would be great to get 10 players from the NBA, have them all claim that they are a woman trapped in a mans body, and let them play in the WNBA.  Of course, they would be called the San Francisco Transgenders.  I am confident that the lefties in D.C. would fully support such a step toward more "equality"

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Perhaps the media age has given a group of people that is generally self contained in rural areas more of a voice?  

You may be right, and if the majority of Native Americans find it offensive, I'd back the change.  My concern is, if it is changed, the extreme Left, not the Native Americans, will demand all references to NA's not be used.  The extreme Left is not rational.  Imo, they're on a power (corruption) trip.