Splendora 58 WO-S 57 Final/Playoffs/OT

KFDM COOP

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Great Season for all involved. Just got a little "carried away" I guess. Its kinda hard not to when you read some of the posts that are made before the game is even played. Just goes to show you that this is one heck of a big state and that there is good basketball played everywhere. I have had a chance to see a lot in my time and have seen even bigger upsets than this one. We are all blessed to be surrounded by such athletes. Good luck to WOS in baseball and track. I would wish ya good luck in football but you guys don't need any luck in football!!!

Luke has spoken!

Great Season for all involved. Just got a little "carried away" I guess. Its kinda hard not to when you read some of the posts that are made before the game is even played. Just goes to show you that this is one heck of a big state and that there is good basketball played everywhere. I have had a chance to see a lot in my time and have seen even bigger upsets than this one. We are all blessed to be surrounded by such athletes. Good luck to WOS in baseball and track. I would wish ya good luck in football but you guys don't need any luck in football!!!

Luke has spoken!

To the boys yes, but our girls are still kickin that #**.

I went to the game tonight, because WH wasn't playing and I work in Mont Belvieu. First, congrats Splendora. You played the exact game you had to, and you got the breaks you needed. Second, for those asking about percentages; WOS freethrow shooting was terrible down the stretch. Thomas was 1 for 5 I believe in the last 2 minutes. Netherly couldn't buy a bucket from outside of 5 feet. Lazeek, it reminded me of HJ in the Montagne except WOS did not have Donahoe to bail them out.

Wildcats take down Stangs, 58-57

Leader Sports

The Orange Leader

MOUNT BELVIEU — The Splendora Wildcats made all the right plays down the stretch to take down the West Orange-Stark Mustangs 58-57 in overtime a Class 3A Region bidistrict playoff game at Barbers Hill High School Wednesday night.

The middle two quarters were a rough spot for the Mustangs (21-12), who finished third in District 21-3A. The Wildcats (21-11), District 22-3A runnerups, outscored WO-S 27-17 in the middle two quarters after trailing 21-13 at the end of the first period.

The Mustangs were trying to defend its Region III crown after they advanced all the way to the Class 3A state semifinals in Austin last year.

Senior Mustang post Richard Netherly powered his way to a game-high 23 points to wrap up a wonderful run in a Mustang uniform. Fellow Mustang senior Andre Bevil contributed 16 points to the WO-S arsenal.

“We didn’t execute well down the stretch and it sure did cost us,†said Mustang head coach Doug McCarter. “We played up and down all night and that was typical of the type of season that we had.â€

Chris Usher led the Wildcats with 19 points while teammate Trey Gill poured in 16 in a contest that wasd tied 53-53 at the end of regulation.

The Wildcats will now take on District 23-3A champion Navasota Friday in the area round.

“Splendora deserves a great amount of credit,†McCarter said. “They executed well, hit big shots when they needed them and they took several charges on defense. They were just the better team tonight.â€

It’s the second straight season that the Wildcats have knocked off a 21-3A team in bidistrict. Last year, Splendora defeated Hardin-Jefferson 78-68.

I was at the game and we just didn't take care of business like we should have. Talk about classless, though. The Splendora fans were throwing candy and things down at our cheerleaders the whole game. I asked them to stop several times, before the police officer had to get involved. You must not be used to the play-off scenario, much. CLASSLESS, TRULY CLASSLESS!!

Splendora is definitely used to the playoff scenario....played the last three years...lost to WO-S two years ago, beat H-J (miracle game) last year, and beat WO-S (another miracle) this year.

Do you think that a couple of bad students makes Splendora classless? If that's the case, then WO-S is just as classless. Let's see 2006 state Semifinals...a player calls his mom from the bench on his cell phone then leaves the bench in his uniform and goes and sits in the stands....Could that be considered classless?

In my opinion, neither school is classless. Both have their own isolated incidents with classless people, but to identify the whole place that way....that's taking it too far...

I'll be the first to say there are fans from both sides (i sat on the WO-S side last night and heard countless RACE references) that commit classless acts. However, Coach Vela and Coach McCarter are class act guys, and I don't think it's a fair representation of either program to place the Classless label on.

Just my opinion....not trying to offend or start anything...

Congrats to Splendora and WO-S for great seasons!!

I was at the game and we just didn't take care of business like we should have. Talk about classless, though. The Splendora fans were throwing candy and things down at our cheerleaders the whole game. I asked them to stop several times, before the police officer had to get involved. You must not be used to the play-off scenario, much. CLASSLESS, TRULY CLASSLESS!!

Yall lost get over it...take the loss and dont blame other people for yall choking in the playoffs

Why does someone always have to come on here running their mouths!!!!!  just shut up!!!

I don't think mustang mom made any excuses about losing.  She was just talking about how the Splendora fans taunted the WOS Cheerleaders.  That game came down to who had the last shot.  No excuses for WOS and I don't think they tried to make any.

Guest backspin

Sully hit a three for the win. You have gotta be kidding me. Don't you dare back down Luke, I saw all the negative pregame posts about how bad Splendora was and how unimpressive this and that. Sully, Sully? Nice win Coach V.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder