SELECT BASEBALL

BLUEDOVE3

I'm curious about the term "Select Baseball"  for this area. I just learned that the coaches are paid and cetain fees are paid by the player or parents to play.  I've heard parents use the term as if this is the best of the best playing ball. But I'm wondering if its the best of the best whose parents can afford the fees or truly competitive teams?

I'm curious about the term "Select Baseball"  for this area. I just learned that the coaches are paid and cetain fees are paid by the player or parents to play.  I've heard parents use the term as if this is the best of the best playing ball. But I'm wondering if its the best of the best whose parents can afford the fees or truly competitive teams?

Im not sure if you are speaking about baseball or softball. But I would think its better for you to go to several tournaments and watch closely and come to a conclusion on you own about the talent on the fields.

As far as costs go. I do not know personally about any payed coaches but it does cost to enter the tournament. And for uniforms and equiptment. And that is a cost that someone has to come up with. And it shouldnt be the coach. Some of the costs are helped by fund raising that is done by the parents to help with some of those costs. And you also have to pay for hotel costs when traveling. So the more fundraising you do the less out of pocket expence you pay as a parent. But it does take spending your time doing it. I guess it comes down to how much you think its worth for your kid to play at a better level of play.

As far as making the team. there are tryouts. And the kids are hand picked by the coaches for positions needed on the team. And the kids that would best help the team would be selected. But your kid has to get past this hurdle before you need to worry about costs and believe me its a hurdle.  I hope this helps you some.

• 2 weeks later...

In baseball there are levels of select ball. All depending on how many games you play and how many of those games you win or lose.  (A,AA,AAA and Majors)All levels have a rating system on wins, losses, points scored ,the strength of the teams you play. The more games and tourneyments you win against ranked teams the faster your rankings climb. Yes, it cost money. Teams get sponsors or have fundraisers. Cost vary depending on how serious you get. Bottom line is, playing against the best makes your child better. It's not for all kids. Playing at that level is tough. It's no more "good try Jhonny" baseball anymore, the demands are greater. Select is good for the youth (not the parent's) that want to play at the next levels. :)

As far as the best of the best, no, i agree that there is some talent out there that can't afford it or don't have the time to commit to it, some teams don't have any fees. They have big sponsors, paid coaches, paid travel, paid hotels paid uniforms. But there is a cost. How about playing over 100 games a year. It's big time ball for young men and women. No vacations, no fishing trips ect......... you have to eat, sleep and poop baseball, it's not for everyone. Good luck.

As far as the best of the best, no, i agree that there is some talent out there that can't afford it or don't have the time to commit to it, some teams don't have any fees. They have big sponsors, paid coaches, paid travel, paid hotels paid uniforms. But there is a cost. How about playing over 100 games a year. It's big time ball for young men and women. No vacations, no fishing trips ect......... you have to eat, sleep and poop baseball, it's not for everyone. Good luck.

Yes I agree with You . They do give up a lot of things to do it . Like  sitting around in front of the tv playing playstation, and all that  good stuff .  ;D

That's the truth!

So glad to see others interested in giving there children positive past times to keep them occupied. Personaly I would work all day and come home to stand on a corner all night to get donations just to keep them on a strait path.  The day me and my wife decided to have children was the day we decided to devote all of our time and effort to giving them every opportunity to succeed in life. That to me is our responsibility.

So glad to see others interested in giving there children positive past times to keep them occupied. Personaly I would work all day and come home to stand on a corner all night to get donations just to keep them on a strait path.  The day me and my wife decided to have children was the day we decided to devote all of our time and effort to giving them every opportunity to succeed in life. That to me is our responsibility.

Well said, I agree.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    pngbaseball33
    Newest Member
    pngbaseball33