Major Conference losing to the small guys

15 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

I've been watching "winds of change" since the 2013 class came out and maybe we won't be able to pinpoint one single thing to claim why the parity but here are my guesses:

1. The transfer rate for these athletes grows every year. Many of these athletes came from major conferences to play in other D1 conferences.

2. The top recruits today aren't buying into committing to the big dogs anymore. Zimmermann to UNLV, Cal Berk got a couple of top recruits, Simmons to LSU, another top recruit goes to Miss State, etc.

3. Talent is staying in school longer ( this is another story relating to 2013)

4. Too many trainers and less time in the park :)

#2 is incorrect and #3 is incorrect.  Main reason is you have 5th year Seniors beating 18 and 19 year olds at big schools.  Talent IS leaving, that is what gives the Mid Major a chance.  Guys that normally ride the bench a year or two, are forced to contribute major minutes at big schools.  Guy like Walkup from SFA graduated last year, but came back as a grad student just to get one more year of college ball.  That doesn't happen with the best players on Duke or North Carolina.  Their best players are long gone by the 5th year.  

47 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

#2 is incorrect and #3 is incorrect.  Main reason is you have 5th year Seniors beating 18 and 19 year olds at big schools.  Talent IS leaving, that is what gives the Mid Major a chance.  Guys that normally ride the bench a year or two, are forced to contribute major minutes at big schools.  Guy like Walkup from SFA graduated last year, but came back as a grad student just to get one more year of college ball.  That doesn't happen with the best players on Duke or North Carolina.  Their best players are long gone by the 5th year.  

HUH? Didn't we both say the same thing for #3, talent is staying? Or did I miss something?

15 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Quick question: the team that eliminated the team you picked to win it all is from which conference?  I'll wait...

Kentucky was terrible this year...realistically I knew UK wasn't winning it all but it's favorite team so I pick them every year your point is invalid...besides Purdue ain't no Indiana not even close. And btw a southland school made it further than most of the big 10 schools in the tourney 

11 hours ago, Aces_Full said:

Kentucky was terrible this year???  Compared to what?  The 91 Rebels?  They won their conference tournament, had the conference POY, came in 2nd in regular season, and was a probably under-ranked 4 seed.  I guess if you used to being a one seed, then 4 is not up to par.  But they were far from terrible.  

Terrible compared to all the other teams at Kentucky in the Calapari era....

43 minutes ago, Aces_Full said:

Can you imagine how crazy it would be to get a 3 Million dollar raise?  I would just stare at my paycheck all day.  

It would take me 2 minutes to photocopy my check and 10-15 minutes to deposit the check in the bank. I'll look at the photocopy until the funds are available.

On March 22, 2016 at 9:00 AM, AthleticSupporter - Jock said:

I'm curious why Calapari is your favorite coach.  Is it because of his ethics and high moral standards?  

Helping young black kids live out their dreams which allows the to take care of their families, a true players first coach, single handily changed the landscape of college basketball, first coach to win a natty with what people deemed as "one and done players" after people said he couldn't do it, took every team he's been a head coach at to a final four and the list goes on....So to answer your question yes I do like Calapari for his ethics an moral standards, btw I'm sure you're well aware that he was never found guilty of any of the NCAA violations brought against him right? Do a little more research on Calapari before you come on here talking reckless...

4 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Helping young black kids live out their dreams which allows the to take care of their families, a true players first coach, single handily changed the landscape of college basketball, first coach to win a natty with what people deemed as "one and done players" after people said he couldn't do it, took every team he's been a head coach at to a final four and the list goes on....So to answer your question yes I do like Calapari for his ethics an moral standards, btw I'm sure you're well aware that he was never found guilty of any of the NCAA violations brought against him right? Do a little more research on Calapari before you come on here talking reckless...

OJ Simpson was found Not Guilty also. But we all know that he wasn't innocent,  right? 

8 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Out of the 12 players he sends to the draft this year, maybe 3 will have successful careers that allow them to "take care of their families". He uses this "sending all my kids to the pros" as a recruiting tool.  Last years group was pretty special with Cauley-Stein, Randle, and so forth, but what have the other 7 kids that went accomplished. I have not heard of the Harrison twins all year. If they had 12 kids that were NBA talent, they would have done better than the Round of 32. 

On 3/22/2016 at 11:05 PM, no-look said:

It was just a matter of time for Underwood. Probably got about a three mill raise. 

He went from making 400k a year to about 1-1.5 Mill is what I've read. Still a huge raise. I've watched this guy coach lots of ball games. He's a mastermind. Let him get the recruits he needs and then the Big 12 will run through Oklahoma St. 

On 3/22/2016 at 0:25 PM, BLUEDOVE3 said:

For 3 million I'll become a republican :)

Welcome to the upper class.  Now Dove will need to take half of the 3 Million that he worked his entire life for and give it to the govt.  They are very skilled and experienced at giving Dove's hard-earned dollars to the less fortunate who have not had the same opportunities that Dove has had. 

4 hours ago, Not A Guru said:

Out of the 12 players he sends to the draft this year, maybe 3 will have successful careers that allow them to "take care of their families". He uses this "sending all my kids to the pros" as a recruiting tool.  Last years group was pretty special with Cauley-Stein, Randle, and so forth, but what have the other 7 kids that went accomplished. I have not heard of the Harrison twins all year. If they had 12 kids that were NBA talent, they would have done better than the Round of 32. 

Bingo.  Calipari is all about Calipari.   The first people who can tell you that are people who have been involved with his programs.  He also consistently has the best talent in the country (for whatever reason).  And in every season but one, proves to us why when it comes to Xs and Os, he is still no Coach K, Izzo, Bo Ryan, etc.  

I'm not a Calipari fan, but just like a High school coach is not responsible for getting a kid a scholarship  Calipari's job is to win games at UK not get kids to the pros. In regards to the Harrison twins they took the wrong advice thinking they could move into the top of the draft if they waited. They should have went as Freshman when they were being hyped. Their weaknesses were exposed in year 2.

I  wouldn't buy a used car from the guy. And if I had a son capable of playing at that level I wouldn't steer him towards Calipari given the other options. But if he went there I would make sure I was as knowledgeable about the whole situation,   and in touch with my kid as much possible to insure they didn't blow smoke up his _ _ _, or make him feel like he was beholding to Calipari's  slimy arse.