Could Beaumont suffer the same fate as La Marque?

The Icon

The grades for the past number of years were manipulated by organized cheating, now that the cheating is over with you have a better idea of how much work needs to be done at BISD so instead of saying "see I told you it wouldn't change" everyone (e v e r y o n e) needs to get on board and support the folks who are trying to fix things>

The funny part about reading most of y'all comments are that you aren't one bit concerned about the kids in BISD. Most of you are only concerned with the administration stealing money from taxpayers when y'all's taxes don't go towards BISD schools nor do you send your kids there. The BOM is such a great job but you've got almost every classroom on campus with overcrowded  students due to a lack of teachers which wasn't a problem before the BOM took over. And I could go on and on about problems that have occurred since the TEA take over. Like I said before the take over hasn't changed anything in BISD & I doubt it will. Let's talk about what the REAL issue because it don't have anything to do with folks stealing money. 

2 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

The funny part about reading most of y'all comments are that you aren't one bit concerned about the kids in BISD. Most of you are only concerned with the administration stealing money from taxpayers when y'all's taxes don't go towards BISD schools nor do you send your kids there. The BOM is such a great job but you've got almost every classroom on campus with overcrowded  students due to a lack of teachers which wasn't a problem before the BOM took over. And I could go on and on about problems that have occurred since the TEA take over. Like I said before the take over hasn't changed anything in BISD & I doubt it will. Let's talk about what the REAL issue because it don't have anything to do with folks stealing money. 

So you are complaining about overcrowded classroom, when the only reason they are overcrowded is because the old school board members and higher ups in the district stole money and misfinanced to the point that if TEA had not taken over Beaumont ISD would have been unable to pay for teachers or anything really within a year or two. Right now there are these classrooms but the situation is becoming better and the number of overcrowded classrooms will lesson. As the others had said you have to fix the problem from the top. That is what they are working on. You need money to run a school district. Then the next step is to evaluate teachers and determine how they can work together within the district to better the academic setting for the students. By next year the district academic rating should show improvement and continue getting better as long as the old school board members are not voted back next year at the new elections.

You may not be looking at the picture clearly, but overall the district is getting better. Teachers aren't leaving en masse any more. It takes time to fix all this.

1 hour ago, RaiderRed30 said:

So you are complaining about overcrowded classroom, when the only reason they are overcrowded is because the old school board members and higher ups in the district stole money and misfinanced to the point that if TEA had not taken over Beaumont ISD would have been unable to pay for teachers or anything really within a year or two. Right now there are these classrooms but the situation is becoming better and the number of overcrowded classrooms will lesson. As the others had said you have to fix the problem from the top. That is what they are working on. You need money to run a school district. Then the next step is to evaluate teachers and determine how they can work together within the district to better the academic setting for the students. By next year the district academic rating should show improvement and continue getting better as long as the old school board members are not voted back next year at the new elections.

You may not be looking at the picture clearly, but overall the district is getting better. Teachers aren't leaving en masse any more. It takes time to fix all this.

Lol it's funny that you really believe that it's the old BOM fault that's classrooms are crowded but ok lets see how long we keep blaming it on the old admin...another thing most of the principals from the past admin are still principals so what's really going to change? You can't get rid of teachers and bring in new ones cause BISD don't pay teachers enough so I'm really curious to know how y'all think the new regime plans on turning things around

9 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Lol it's funny that you really believe that it's the old BOM fault that's classrooms are crowded but ok lets see how long we keep blaming it on the old admin...another thing most of the principals from the past admin are still principals so what's really going to change? You can't get rid of teachers and bring in new ones cause BISD don't pay teachers enough so I'm really curious to know how y'all think the new regime plans on turning things around

You fire some and send a few to prison which has already been done, it tends to get the attention of those that remain.

12 hours ago, ozensfinest said:

Its real easy to explain.  BISD was in $40 million deficit before the BOM took over, due to all of the stealing by the old board members and administrators.  So they had to lay off teachers to help close the gap.   They are now hiring back more teachers now that they have a $14 mil surplus.  So that will help with the overcrowding.  Some of the principals have been fired or let go for different reasons.   So yes, it is the old admins fault for allowing or participating in all of the theft and cheating not that hard to understand unless you have your BISD blinders on.

OF, you know the real "funny" part is that you showed no concern for the kids or condemned the "old" regime for stealing from them and holding them accountable. This woman in court now (can't recall her name) stole money from the booster club, which is extra money raised for extracurricular activities by hardworking people, who give up their spare time for the kids. The simple fact that you are going after the ones who are trying to make a difference in the kid's lives by making sure that the money is there tells me all I need to know.

4 hours ago, baddog said:

OF, you know the real "funny" part is that you showed no concern for the kids or condemned the "old" regime for stealing from them and holding them accountable. This woman in court now (can't recall her name) stole money from the booster club, which is extra money raised for extracurricular activities by hardworking people, who give up their spare time for the kids. The simple fact that you are going after the ones who are trying to make a difference in the kid's lives by making sure that the money is there tells me all I need to know.

I don't have to condemn them they're already being punished...however them stealing money didn't stop me from getting an education...some of you like to try and make it seem as though them stealing the money effected the kids SOOOOOO much lol when in actuality it didn't all my years of going to school in BISD I've never felt deprived of my education. I truly believe that most of you all are happy that there the largest school district in the area is no longer ran by majority black people. Another thing I've noticed is it mostly people from outside the Beaumont area and folks that don't have kids attending BISD schools like why you even care whats going on? I hardly ever see people from Beaumont saying negative things about whats going on in the district...So IMO what I previously stated has to be the reason for most of the comments on here. 

On February 23, 2016 at 3:40 PM, Knoddy1 said:

The grades for the past number of years were manipulated by organized cheating, now that the cheating is over with you have a better idea of how much work needs to be done at BISD so instead of saying "see I told you it wouldn't change" everyone (e v e r y o n e) needs to get on board and support the folks who are trying to fix things>

Was going to make this point myself.  A very valid point.  

10 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

sounds like OF had some kinfolk part of that old regime.

Really no principal changes....that really tells me you don't know what your talking about.  there has been plenty of principal changes.

Lol not at all but I do have friends that still work in BISD and have told me that the district have become worst since the takeover.

You can't comprehend I see I said MOST of the principals are still principals in BISD rather they're Principals at different schools or AP's. Never said there weren't any changes among the principals but I can almost assure you that 90% of the principals that were principals before TEA are still principals in the district. And most of the changes that have been made have been changes from within the district so again how is that going to change anything? 

13 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

I don't have to condemn them they're already being punished...however them stealing money didn't stop me from getting an education...some of you like to try and make it seem as though them stealing the money effected the kids SOOOOOO much lol when in actuality it didn't all my years of going to school in BISD I've never felt deprived of my education. I truly believe that most of you all are happy that there the largest school district in the area is no longer ran by majority black people. Another thing I've noticed is it mostly people from outside the Beaumont area and folks that don't have kids attending BISD schools like why you even care whats going on? I hardly ever see people from Beaumont saying negative things about whats going on in the district...So IMO what I previously stated has to be the reason for most of the comments on here. 

Kinda feels like you don't care what the old administration did as long as they were black.  So who's wrong here?  As for a couple of your previous posts... My wife has taught at a BISD elementary school for 7 years, and her room has been above capacity EVERY year, including the years before the BOM took over.  To address another of your comments, the fact that most of the principals are still in place means that the BOM has kept the principals who DID NOT STEAL OR CHEAT in their places, so I don't think you need to worry about racial discrimination in the administration.  I also teach in the district, and my white principal just retired, and is about to be replaced by an African American.  My wife's African American principal is retiring at the end of the year, and her replacement is African American.  Again, not seeing discrimination there.  As for the racial makeup of the board and the superintendent, I could care less, as long as they're not stealing my tax dollars and have the kids' best interest at heart.  I wanted nothing more than for Chargois to succeed, but he was just Thomas part 2.  So that being said, we now have a super who's doing the right thing with the district, and a BOM that is cleaning house.  That needed to be done.  I'm really not understanding how with a straight face you can say that changes weren't needed in the first place.

10 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

Your education precedes you. I happen to live in Beaumont and even though my kids are grown, I pay BISD taxes. Whether anyone pays taxes here or not, they are entitiled to an opinion. Of course tou would bring race into it. I can't help what race the criminals are. If that is all you have, you have nothing.

24 minutes ago, ozensfinest said:

It was about to effect their education because they were going broke. Broke means no pay to teachers. Teachers can't live without a salary. They would have been forced to find jobs elsewhere. The district would have then not been able to find teachers to apply to work there or even accept a job. Eventually the school district would have had to been consolidated or taken over. The take over had to happen. It has. Get over it. Just wait until next school year, or even after this school year when the STAAR and EOC's have been handed out to make a decision on if the Board of Managers has helped the students at Beaumont ISD. The improvement could show up this year, but more than likely it will be next year because this year was about getting the district out of debt. If not then you can complain all you want.

When it comes to the performances of the Board of Managers and TEA with the students, everyone should wait until after the test scores are released and rated to form an opinion.

Lambert's attorney says her tears mean she is ready to take responsibilty for her own actions. I think the state of Texas had something to do with that. Funny how a prison term can make a person have conscience. Had she possessed a conscience before, she wouldn't be where she is now. I don't think she is sorry for what she did, I think she is sorry she got caught.

On 2/23/2016 at 5:43 PM, ozensfinest said:

A lot of the "teachers" they had in those classrooms weren't certified teachers at all. The ones that were let go were either long terms subs that weren't the teacher of record for that class or emergency hires under emergency certifications.. In fact, some of the teachers of record didn't even go to that class, they just had to have one on file in order to receive state funding for that section of the subject. The students would see "Mrs. Smith" as their Algebra teacher on their schedule, but "Mrs. Smith" never showed up to class. It was taught by a long term sub for the duration of the school year. 

2 hours ago, baddog said:

Lambert's attorney says her tears mean she is ready to take responsibilty for her own actions. I think the state of Texas had something to do with that. Funny how a prison term can make a person have conscience. Had she possessed a conscience before, she wouldn't be where she is now. I don't think she is sorry for what she did, I think she is sorry she got caught.

"I am so sorry........... that I got caught".

2 hours ago, baddog said:

If she was truly remorseful she wouldn't have repeated the shady, backhanded thievery and misappropriations that got her in trouble with the law and fired from her last job.  Of course, the real credit here goes to the superintendent who looked past that criminal record to hire her, just as he did for Naomi Lawrence Lee, who, shockingly enough, is also currently facing criminal charges for theft at BISD after Thomas knowingly hired her with a record of theft from her previous job. 

It really, really bothers me when race is brought into this issue.  The local paper which did more to expose the issues going on at BISD has been called racist time and again, despite the fact the owner of said publication has been one of the largest contributors to Democrats in this State for a long time, and a staunch supporter of civil rights.

And believe it or not, I have African American friends with kids in BISD who were as outraged as anyone about the deception and thievery going on there.  Ultimately, the taxpayers were going to pay what the law said they had to pay.  The real victims were the kids because to me, that's who was being stolen from.   If you aren't offended by what was happening, I have issues with where your priorities lie.