Silsbee 95 Hardin-Jefferson 64/Final

WOSgrad

Big win for Silsbee. They need to stop shooting so many 3pters IMO. McCain is one of the best driving to bucket guards in the area. Let him drive the ball. If Harris, Adams, and Maze can all get hot at the same time throughout the playoffs Silsbee will be very very hard to beat. Like the hustle of Newton, Dontre Thomas, and Mackey tonight. 

my two cents from the game tonight: Silsbee is the real deal.  Their pressure is incredible, their athleticism is unmatchable, and they can really fill it up from deep.  I thought HJ did a really nice job in the first half of holding their own against the press, and finding easy points after breaking it.  In the second half they started to wear down, and in the end they got run over, which is a shame because they put in a really nice performance for three quarters.  Not having 2 of their best ball handlers really hurt them, and it would've been a lot different game had Parquet and Bernard been able to suit up.  HJ only had 2-3 guys tonight that they could rely on to break the press, and one of them really struggled with the ball, and they all were worn out by the end of the 3rd quarter.  Saladin showed up to play, but Jamerson didn't have nearly the impact he did in the first meeting.  He didn't play poorly, but silsbee did a nice job of keeping HJ from getting him good looks, and also of adjusting their shots so that he didn't block too many of them.  As for Silsbee, i was very impressed with them in the second half.  they never seem to slow down, and they have a ton of guys off the bench with no drop off.  There are only two things that can stop the tigers from getting to state IMO.  The first is shot selection.  They took several contested and off balance threes tonight.  In the first half they missed almost all of them, which is part of the reason that HJ was able to hang around.  In the second half they also shot quite a few ill-advised threes, off balance, not set, with a hand in their face, but they actually made many of them.  So while many of those shots led to the giant win margin down the stretch, had they kept missing them, HJ could have gotten back into the game.  The second thing that could slow them down is going to be refs who call a tight game.  I don't have any criticism for the refs tonight, as they were consistent, and they let both teams play.  But for every reach-in and hand check they called on silsbee, they let 2 or 3 go.  The refs dictate play, and they let them go tonight, but had they been calling them silsbee would've had some problems.  they're deep enough to overcome foul trouble, but had HJ been in the double bonus in the 3rd quarter the game could've changed quite a bit.  Again, i AM NOT saying the refs were bad, and I AM NOT using them as an excuse.  I'm merely pointing out that Silsbee could struggle against a quality playoff opponent if the refs call it tight due to the extreme pressure they apply and the fact that they reach and bump a lot on D.  All that having been said, super impressive win tonight by a super impressive team.  Congrats to the tigers on a great win.  I hope we meet you guys again in a few weeks.

39 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Big win for Silsbee. They need to stop shooting so many 3pters IMO. McCain is one of the best driving to bucket guards in the area. Let him drive the ball. If Harris, Adams, and Maze can all get hot at the same time throughout the playoffs Silsbee will be very very hard to beat. Like the hustle of Newton, Dontre Thomas, and Mackey tonight. 

You just beat HJ by 30.  You aren't allowed to complain ;)

In all seriousness, this isn't a Silsbee team of the last few years.  They have several threats from outside.  IF they make it to State or win it, a big part of it will be the 3 ball.  

Agree with you on Devon.  But what separates him from most guards who can break you down off the dribble is his exceptional vision.  He is outstanding at drawing help defenders and finding the open man.  A lot of times it's someone on the perimeter. 

Silsbee has now won 15 of last 19 against HJ. This was the largest margin of victory (31) of any game played between these two since they were put in district back in 2007.

This makes 9 consecutive years that Silsbee has won or shared the district championship. This is the Tigers 5th outright district title in last 7 seasons.

I will post complete stats tomorrow but one glaring stat has to be posted tonight. Hardin-Jefferson had 37 turnovers tonight. 37!! Had Silsbee been able to shoot in 1st half (3 of 17 three's and about 12 missed layups) this game would have been put away at half. I knew that if HJ continued to turn it over (18 in 1st half, 19 in 2nd), eventually Silsbee would start hitting their shots and blow the game open. That's exactly what happened. Tigers just too much for the Hawks.

3 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Silsbee has now won 15 of last 19 against HJ. This was the largest margin of victory (31) of any game played between these two since they were put in district back in 2007.

This makes 9 consecutive years that Silsbee has won or shared the district championship. This is the Tigers 5th outright district title in last 7 seasons.

I will post complete stats tomorrow but one glaring stat has to be posted tonight. Hardin-Jefferson had 37 turnovers tonight. 37!! Had Silsbee been able to shoot in 1st half (3 of 17 three's and about 12 missed layups) this game would have been put away at half. I knew that if HJ continued to turn it over (18 in 1st half, 19 in 2nd), eventually Silsbee would start hitting their shots and blow the game open. That's exactly what happened. Tigers just too much for the Hawks.

Yup, the turnovers were a killer.  HJ needed another ball handler.  Would've made a big difference with their struggles against the press 

18 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Yup, the turnovers were a killer.  HJ needed another ball handler.  Would've made a big difference with their struggles against the press 

Still same outcome with another ball handler !! Parquet is good and you always bring him up, if this, if that...What if we had a healthy McCain, do you ever think about that.

3 hours ago, Pepper Brooks said:

Pressure D will do it everytime, when you have weak guard play

It certainly will be interesting to see how Silsbee responds to a great half court, ball movement team with strong guard play, in the 3rd/4th round.

I bet the first time they run into it, they will have a lot of trouble for an entire half, at minimum and will likely lose in the playoffs to a team with this approach. Especially, if they do not get out of trap, pressure defense vs. a rangy team with strong post play, as well.

Nothing against them at this time. I have not seen them play so I am merely speculating based off what I am hearing people talk about "their style".

34 minutes ago, Silsbeealum14 said:

Still same outcome with another ball handler !! Parquet is good and you always bring him up, if this, if that...What if we had a healthy McCain, do you ever think about that.

Wait until you all run into a team that has 2 guards and a post that move the ball well. That press will be destroyed.

There's a reason why it does not work once you get out of south east Texas from 4A level and up. It's very simple to beat if you have 3/5 players with ball handling skills that have great court vision. We'll revisit this later, but it's my prediction now, that as soon as Silsbee runs into a team of this caliber, it's goodbye and hello baseball season.

27 minutes ago, Silsbeealum14 said:

I think y'all have 9 more players close to his level.  Maybe not quite as good, but a minimal drop off.  If you're saying the same outcome as in Silsbee wins, then I agree.  If you're saying it's still a blowout, I completely disagree.  Silsbee has two starting fives worth of all-district players.  HJ has three players of that caliber.  When one of those three is missing, it's a HUGE difference maker.  Also considering that parquet is tall, fast, and an excellent ball handler, he'd make a huge difference in HJs press break against the Tigers. HJ had 37 turnovers tonight.  If parquet plays that number is greatly reduced, plus he is HJs second best scorer.  If McCain plays, he takes minutes from 8-9 other guys capable of doing pretty much what he can do.  If Parquet plays, he takes minutes from several role players that probably combined for 5 points and 15 turnovers.

2 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

Wait until you all run into a team that has 2 guards and a post that move the ball well. That press will be destroyed.

There's a reason why it does not work once you get out of south east Texas from 4A level and up. It's very simple to beat if you have 3/5 players with ball handling skills that have great court vision. We'll revisit this later, but it's my prediction now, that as soon as Silsbee runs into a team of this caliber, it's goodbye and hello baseball season.

What team in Region III will provide that kind of challenge to Silsbee?

Wheatley, La Marque - probably the only two in the region that can hang

It may not be round 4, but I will certainly say it will be the team that slows the game down and makes the Tigers play an unorthodox style that they are certainly not accustom to. Big Sandy with size down low type of team and that will absolutely murder a team that wants to run and is built to run.

It's retarded for me to sit here and say to who or when...I just know that's how it's going to happen.

If I am wrong, which I likely can be because I have not seen Silsbee, then I will gladly admit I am wrong when they are crowned state champ.

Just now, whsalum said:

It's tough to win when you give the ball up 37 times against anyone. These clubs could very well meet again in a couple of weeks. Heck of an atmosphere tonight for both games. Feels like playoff time.

I agree but HJ has to get healthy. They have to have Parquet and Benard back if they are to make a run to regional tourney. Just can't see the HJ team that played tonight make it to Regional finals.

13 minutes ago, MOSSHILL said:

Another hater !!! We done seen the slow down game and a team with good guard play and post game....Still won, Where you from anyway. Your team must be practicing baseball already !!

1 minute ago, MOSSHILL said:

Wheatley, La Marque - probably the only two in the region that can hang

It may not be round 4, but I will certainly say it will be the team that slows the game down and makes the Tigers play an unorthodox style that they are certainly not accustom to. Big Sandy with size down low type of team and that will absolutely murder a team that wants to run and is built to run.

It's retarded for me to sit here and say to who or when...I just know that's how it's going to happen.

If I am wrong, which I likely can be because I have not seen Silsbee, then I will gladly admit I am wrong when they are crowned state champ.

Well, so far you are wrong on the two teams you named. Wheatley is a mirror image to Silsbee. Up tempo, pressure, shoot 3 ball. No real post play. La Marque, well they are Region IV, so they wouldn't see them till SA.

Three best teams in Region III: Silsbee, Wheatley and a healthy Hardin-Jefferson.