Lumberton vs Crosby what are yall thoughts

Guest ltownbaseball9

Lumberton strolls past La Marque

Lumberton outscored La Marque 40-17 in the first half to secure a 68-47 victory in the second round of the Class 4A playoffs at Barbers Hill High School.

"We are very excited about winning our first playoff game," said Charles Wilson, whose team beat La Marque in a tournament game last December. "We came out aggressive and ready to play in the first half, and I am happy with the results."

Lumberton (24-7) moves on to play Crosby in the regional quarterfinal round at a time and place to be determined next week. Crosby beat Lamar Consolidated 43-38 on Friday night.

La Marque, which finished in second place in District 23-4A, ends the season at 17-15.

"We came out like we wanted to win tonight," Wilson said. "We did everything right in the first half. I was a little disappointed with the second half of play. We didn't begin the second half the same way."

La Marque missed three consecutive shots and had four turnovers in the first quarter that allowed the Raiders to gain a 10-point lead at the end of the period. The absence of La Marque's leading scorer in the first quarter also helped things as well. Marissa Ashton didn't enter the game until the second quarter.

By then, Lumberton had a 23-13 lead. Courtney Wilson led the Raiders attack with 13 points in the first quarter.

The Raiders, who are ranked No. 18 in the Texas Association of Basketball Coaches poll, went on a 17-4 run in the second quarter to end the first half with a 40-17 lead.

The Raiders' pressure defense forced La Marque to turn the ball over six times in the period. The Cougars also struggled offensively, missing five shots in the final two minutes of play.

"I thought we played our best game of the season tonight," said senior post Courtney Wilson. "We worked together as a team and we were patient with the ball. We worked the ball around until we got an open shot and that helped us in the game."

La Marque was able to cut the lead to 10 points in the third quarter after a 16-4 run.

Lumberton had three turnovers and missed five consecutive shots during the run that allowed the Cougars to come within a 44-33 deficit.

After a timeout by Lumberton, the Raiders outscored La Marque 7-5 in the final minute of the third quarter to hold onto to the lead.

Courtney Wilson led all scorers with 27 points. Hayden Furlow had 12 points, and Chelsea Pickering had 11.

La Marque's Jaleesa Allen was the only player in double figures with 15 points.

"This was a big win for us," Wilson said. "We just have to continue to play smart."

Orangefield girls 62, Columbia 37

The Orangefield girls basketball team proved to be too much for Columbia to handle Friday night.

Orangefield outscored Columbia 38-14 in the first half en route to a 62-37 victory in the second round of the Class 3A playoffs at Barbers Hill High School.

Orangefield went on a 14-8 run in the fourth quarter to secure the win.

Orangefield (27-7) moves on to play the winner of the Smithville-Cleveland game in the regional quarterfinal round at a time and place to be determined. Columbia ends the season at 30-1 overall.

Kaylin Little led the Bobcats with 25 points. Kristy Sanders added 14 points.

Columbia's Jade Davis had 17 points and Ciera Thomas had 12.

I will go with Lumberton but I can tell you Coach Wilson was not happy after this one and I can understand. The Lady Raiders looked a little relaxed in the second half and I probably would have been too with a 40-17 lead. If they can play a entire game like they did the first half I smell Austin. I would also like to say in all the games I've been to this year I'm loving the girls game over the guys. I know Gabe would agree with me, good luck to all the ladies in the playoffs.

La Marque was no match for Lumberton but Crosby is a different matter. They are a very good team, but if Lumberton plays as well the entire game as they did the first half against La Marque, they should be able to win. Good Luck Lady Raiders.

Crosby beat Silsbee in the Gulf Coast Classic..... but should not have - they weren't the better team, Silsbee just wasn't on the mark that day...... 

Lumberton is a more experienced team and should win.  You never know which Crosby team shows up.   If they bring their A game it will be close, but if not, Lumberton will jump on them like they did La Marque. 

Unfortunately, the really good Crosby team showed up. I was hoping Lumberton would win either way, but congratulations Lady Raiders on a great season. Courtney Wilson, you are a phenomenal player (prettiest shot and lightest touch of any post player in the area) and I wish you luck in your college career.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder