Newton

There hasn't been much talk about Newton lately since they got into district, when they were getting beat by the bigger schools they were the talk of the internet. What's the deal?

There hasn't been much talk about Newton lately since they got into district, when they were getting beat by the bigger schools they were the talk of the internet. What's the deal?

Maybe because Newton getting their hat handed to them is more interesting than Newton winning because that is "old hat".

Enjoy your one and only playoff game this coming weekend cardbacker. But you can come watch Newton . They might misspell but they will continue their way through the playoffs. Maybe that's the answer. You BC guys have all the study time because you never go to the playoffs. When you do its an early exit. Yea that's it.. Enjoy your short playoff. Purple Pride......

Edited by Cactus

It's there... look for the "Sub Varsity Playoff Schedule Info" thread.  

Be warned, though.... It's mostly Eagle fans and bad spelling.

call them whatever you want they still led to NRG and the same payday your school would get if they could ever get out the first round . 

Edited by Back2swag

If we (Hardin) wanted to take a page out of Newton's playbook, what would be the first step you as Newton folks, would do if you were us?

We got a coach worth a million bucks. We have the facilities. But, we are lacking some things and I'd like to hear from a smaller than us school about what it is that keeps your program on the up and up every year?

PS. We were disappointed when we found out you wouldn't be starting your playoff win streak in Hardin, as last year.

Good luck Eagles.

If we (Hardin) wanted to take a page out of Newton's playbook, what would be the first step you as Newton folks, would do if you were us?

We got a coach worth a million bucks. We have the facilities. But, we are lacking some things and I'd like to hear from a smaller than us school about what it is that keeps your program on the up and up every year?

PS. We were disappointed when we found out you wouldn't be starting your playoff win streak in Hardin, as last year.

Good luck Eagles.

Not trying to sound racist, but in East and southeast Texas if you don't have any African Americans on your team you're not going to be very good...there may be a few exceptions, but in general you aren't winning in this part of the state without them. 

Not trying to sound racist, but in East and southeast Texas if you don't have any African Americans on your team you're not going to be very good...there may be a few exceptions, but in general you aren't winning in this part of the state without them. 

+1!

I agree, look at BH, I think thats one of their problems. 

That's over-simplifying it a little. Good little leagues feeding into good junior high programs and eventually getting into good high school programs. A tough coaching staff instilling discipline, and community support. A solid off season program.  I can laugh all I want about Newtons literacy problems and lack of hygiene, but they support their football program in ways that our neighbors can't comprehend. PNG fan can't believe somebody put a sign in coach's yard? Newton's coach would never make it past losing three in a row to a rival. They'd never find his body. Those kids grow up knowing that losing isn't an option. Period. 

There are plenty of heavily African American teams that will be home this weekend. 

In Newton we don't expect to lose. This started back in my opinion in 1973. We have had and still have dedicated coaches. Coach Thompson , Coach Barbay , WT Johnston,  Bryan Barbay the son of Curtis Barbay is with Newton now. It's a family environment in Newton. When our boys hit the field they expect to win. This along with a great off season program each year and many hours of late night planning by our Coaches placing the talent they are given in the right place. The community is dedicated to our teams. Our fans are 110% behind our team and young players in all sports. It starts in the lower grades. Our coaches in the junior high are very much responsible for our winning ways. They are the seed of the fruit we develope.  Without a good Jr high coaching staff you will not have a developed high school team.  It takes the complete process to have a great team each year. Including great teachers to keep these guys and girls on the right track. A good family life at home is also very important. That's where it all begins. Purple Pride.

Thanks. I know the answers but many in this community do not.

Hardin has failed to realize this one component in the last 7-8 years as the black community has reduced significantly since 2008. Imagine that,  last year to compete. And truly has never "competed". So, what steps do they take to acquire more flavor? One would be to hire more black folk on staff.  Now. there's an idea!!! This Setx culture down here still blows my mind on a daily basis. Can't wrap my head around in it. No athletes = Limited success. Hardin competed this year and was expected to finish last. But when you lose your best athlete to Shepherd, before season and you are already athletic-less, my god.  Something has to give.

Newton will have a good problem with so much talent coming up for the next few years. Probably the most talent Newton has had in years.  Newton will have more speed and depth and should be better. Newton's crowds are almost as large for the sub-varsity teams as for the Varsity. That's because these teams are athletic and fun to watch. Newton's best running back, which has been out for the last several games, should be back by the third playoff game. If Newton wins the first two rounds, that will most likely be Newton vs. no.3  Franklin.

Good luck to Bridge City in the playoffs. I hope you go far into the playoffs.

Lot of stuff being said on this thread that are "fine ideas".. but is just simply not the case.

Newton wins because of the JH programs and JH coaches?..  Well I hate to break it to you..but every small school JH program has the HS coaches running the show, at the practices, and doing same stuff as high school.  And every staff (mostly) spends countless hours preparing.. And just about every offseason program is identical.  They were all taken from the ideas of someone that was successful.  Build strength, build speed, build a competitive/winning attitude....um..yeah they all do that.  Hate it be the bearer of bad news...but coaches are doing what they can to win. Everywhere.  It is now..and always have been the kids at Newton.  You take the same exact staff at Newton and put them in certain schools...they won't win.  And you take the staff from a not very good school and put them at Newton..they'll win.  I guarantee it.

And Hardin...has the same problems they have every single year.  This year their problem is East Chambers, Kirbyville, and Buna.  Hardin can't beat those teams..those teams have better players.  A LOT better players.  If UIL doesn't do Hardin a huge solid..they'll have those same, similar problems again next year.  Tell me the schools that were in Hardin's district every single successful football season they've ever had...and let's see if we can see the correlation.  I'll be willing to be it will be noticeable immediately. 

That's over-simplifying it a little. Good little leagues feeding into good junior high programs and eventually getting into good high school programs. A tough coaching staff instilling discipline, and community support. A solid off season program.  I can laugh all I want about Newtons literacy problems and lack of hygiene, but they support their football program in ways that our neighbors can't comprehend. PNG fan can't believe somebody put a sign in coach's yard? Newton's coach would never make it past losing three in a row to a rival. They'd never find his body. Those kids grow up knowing that losing isn't an option. Period. 

There are plenty of heavily African American teams that will be home this weekend. 

dang I'm taking this and running with it, old backer was some what nice in a way!

well I can tell you this....in east and southeast Texas you are in a bind without them. Name one all white team in east/southeast that is traditionally worth a crap? I'll go ahead and answer that for you...there aren't any

well I can tell you this....in east and southeast Texas you are in a bind without them. Name one all white team in east/southeast that is traditionally worth a crap? I'll go ahead and answer that for you...there aren't any

That's right Uncle Porky.

Heck, I can only think of one of two in the entire STATE every year that do it with white boys

Correct me if I am wrong.....Brock and Celina

Brock being successful in it's short 3-5 year tenure already competing for hardware every year and Celina been on top for 30 plus years?

That's right Uncle Porky.

Heck, I can only think of one of two in the entire STATE every year that do it with white boys

Correct me if I am wrong.....Brock and Celina

Brock being successful in it's short 3-5 year tenure already competing for hardware every year and Celina been on top for 30 plus years?

HIghland Park and Lake Travis

So coaches don't make a difference----ha, that's really funny. So Alvarez went to Kirbyville and the program just happen to turn around by itself.

Did anyone say coaches don't make a difference?  I'm pretty sure I said that all coaches were doing exactly what they can to win.  And if they're not winning...then they're adapting to what winning programs are doing.  Well That team does this in the off season so we'll implement some of that.  All ideas are borrowed (either part or whole) from someone that's done it better.  Here's the difference...what you have to work with.

The best fisherman in the entire world cant catch a fish out of a puddle that doesn't have fish in it.  

Newton's, Kirbyville's, West Orange Stark's, Carthage, Tatum, East Bernard, Celina, Allen, New England Patriots, Coach Alvarez himself, or any other coaching staff you can think of....can NOT go to ...let's say Deweyville (example) and win a state championship.  And there are many other schools I could name.  I don't care how long they're there.  I'd be willing to bet any amount of money you want to on that.

I'm not saying they aren't all excellent coaches.  And I'm not saying they aren't doing what other coaches probably might not be able to do.  I'm just saying that if they didn't have the talent they had...you wouldn't even know who they are.  There are a lot of really good coaches across this state that don't win.  Winning is not ALL that makes you a good coach.