22-5A vs 21-5A playoff match ups

Don't count out GCM yet, they let that Vidor game slip away. It's a long shot, but they do have the horses to go 3 and 0 to wrap up the regular season. It starts with a must win game against a much improved Lumberton, that should be a battle with the fourth spot on the line. GCM was able to beat big NED last year in Nederland, something the Injuns haven't done in a while. This year the Dawg's have to come to the Dirty Bay. And lastly Ozen, a game the Patriots should have won last year. Will they get their revenge at the Butch?  Unfortunately I'm working nights this week so I won't be able to partake of Lumberton's hospitality on Thursday for my sons Freshman game or friday for the must win Varsity game. I'll be coming here for updates.... I mean working hard.

Don't count out GCM yet, they let that Vidor game slip away. It's a long shot, but they do have the horses to go 3 and 0 to wrap up the regular season. It starts with a must win game against a much improved Lumberton, that should be a battle with the fourth spot on the line. GCM was able to beat big NED last year in Nederland, something the Injuns haven't done in a while. This year the Dawg's have to come to the Dirty Bay. And lastly Ozen, a game the Patriots should have won last year. Will they get their revenge at the Butch?  Unfortunately I'm working nights this week so I won't be able to partake of Lumberton's hospitality on Thursday for my sons Freshman game or friday for the must win Varsity game. I'll be coming here for updates.... I mean working hard.

welp, you finally spoke on it, that game scares me for Ozen for that very reason. 

Like Nederland owns PNG, PNG owns Vidor.....Since 1999 Vidor has only beat PNG 3 times. I believe like a lot of it is a mental thing but history is on the side of the Indians in this game. Vidor gives Nederland a harder time then they do PNG.

Vidor ALWAYS plays Ned tough. BF usually stays in the game plan against Vidor. Don't know about Vidor's D backs. We should have the upper hand in that game. The Nederland game is never a good indicator for how the Indians play other teams. It's just different. All my Indian buddy's will tell you, the Indians that played in the 4th qtr against Ned are the ones we saw all year. The other 3 qtrs, not so much. 

This Vidor team is alot better than their record indicates . Kolbie Humble is a legit quarterback , I could easily see a zone read offense ( out of the shotgun) with him and Leckelt ! Ultimately , Vidors secondary will be their demise. If youre not willing to make the proper personell adjustments then youre not wanting if bad enough. IMO

I'm putting it out there right now. If Dayton can stay/get healthy and doesn't draw Texas City in the 2nd round I think they can go three deep with the squad they have. Coach and all. 

Crosby beat Angleton 34-0, they just played a good 31-14 game against George Ranch where the score probably doesn't indicate how close the game was. I feel very good about the strength of 21-5A going forward. 

In regards to the GRHS vs Angleton game.  Angleton scored to tie the game 14 -14 to begin the 3rd quarter.  After that they got two first downs.  GRHS DOMINATED Angleton in the second half.  Could have easily been 42-14.  Angleton's defense did stop GRHS three times on 4th down, that hasn't happened since I started working with GRHS. 

Fact is...  The only team left playing after round 2 from 21 and 22 5A will be Crosby.  GRHS and Foster should sweep Ridge Point and Elkins this year (Ridge Point and Foster aren't near as good as they were last year and Foster and GRHS are probably a little better).  Don't see New Caney, Nederland, CE King, or Central beating GRHS or Foster.  Don't know if Crosby gets Calhoun or Texas City in Round two (likely draws).  Don't know if the winner of the Dayton PN-G game would fare up.  Dayton's defense seems to have played better against Crosby.  If Dayton or PN-G could get past round 2, they would very likely go four deep.
Don't know if this is a possibility, but....  If FB Marshall somehow gets into the playoffs (don't know if they won this weekend) that would put Elkins into division 2.  That would be a HUGE shake up in the playoff brackets.  Was talking to some of my coworkers tracking the playoff match ups, and they were talking how Elkins could play in the second string when they play Marshall this year, just to help Marshall get in so Elkins would be in Division 2.  Don't know if that scenario will end up happening, but if you were the head coach, knew you were in the playoffs, and that if your opponent beat you, you would be in the much weaker division 2, would you throw the game and rest your starters?

To watch the GRHS vs Angleton game (with an Always Believe twist) the link is at..

This is the hidden content, please

Good luck to the teams in SETX.  Hopefully yall stay healthy and get ready to make some noise in the playoffs.

To predict anything against PNG based on the Nederland game would be folly. Like I said, that 4th qtr Indians of the Nederland game are the Indians we are used to. With that said, I agree with the post above. Faircloth has a hard time in big games. He tends to shoot us in the foot. If he plays his game plan and not try to get cute, we are tough to beat.

PN-G is definately a tale of 2 teams.. Most of the season we have made mental mistakes and penalties, and along with the average coaching, it sometimes gets difficult.. WOS and Nederland did not show me we are out of the talk on winning games.. I did see a disparity in coaching.. That being said, I do think BFs best coaching job came against Manvel years back.. But he did have better assistants at the time.. If PN-G draws Crosby, it will more than likely be a blow out IMO. I have seen Crosby play personally, and team speed will be difficult to overcome.. I have not put the eye test on Dayton, however history says it will not be easy.. Im not quite sure PN-G has ever beaten a Dayton team.. But if we are able to play mistake free ball, get in a groove, and stay with what works, I do think it could get interesting.. There is still time to try and clean up the things that tend to hurt us.. Penalties are a discipline issue, as well as tackling.. Fundamentally, we can get better.. I do think first hings first.. Ozen can give us trouble because of the dual threat quarterback, and Central as well with Whaley. Neither of those games are gimmies.. I also think if  a motivated Vidor team gets a hold of you, things can be interesting.. Defensively I think we can stop Whaley. Although we have struggled with dual threat QBS throughout. (Boyd).. I would however love to see anyone in the district win a game.. I know we are down as a whole in the district, but I think Neauman can put together some type of plan to get into the 2nd round. Its all a guess at this point.. But I would'nt bet a penny on any of it......

Lol.  Don't bet on that.  Central have figured some things out lately....

Maybe so, but I think King has too. They lost probably half of their starters overall last year. It took them a while to get it figured out but I think they're finally getting it going. I still think they could beat Central by 21.

By playoff time there are a few factors to consider. We have been banged up all year. Key players out in every game.  If we can remain healthy and win out we have a good chance. McZeal will be back and he is a significant threat to any defense. Plus some others will be back. The problem is we will probably be facing a team that is just like Nederland and WOS against us. Dayton seems to have our number. If Faircloth goes in using our strength, the passing game, I think we have a shot. If he over thinks and tries to get tricky, well 1 and done. If we face Crosby, it will have to complete mistake free and then some special luck. Not out of the realm of possibility. 

Maybe so, but I think King has too. They lost probably half of their starters overall last year. It took them a while to get it figured out but I think they're finally getting it going. I still think they could beat Central by 21.

I hope you're wrong.  But I think our defense is better than last year as a whole.  We have more people that want to tackle someone as opposed to last year.  Only PJ Locke wanted to tackle Williams from King.  

In regards to the GRHS vs Angleton game.  Angleton scored to tie the game 14 -14 to begin the 3rd quarter.  After that they got two first downs.  GRHS DOMINATED Angleton in the second half.  Could have easily been 42-14.  Angleton's defense did stop GRHS three times on 4th down, that hasn't happened since I started working with GRHS. 

Fact is...  The only team left playing after round 2 from 21 and 22 5A will be Crosby.  GRHS and Foster should sweep Ridge Point and Elkins this year (Ridge Point and Foster aren't near as good as they were last year and Foster and GRHS are probably a little better).  Don't see New Caney, Nederland, CE King, or Central beating GRHS or Foster.  Don't know if Crosby gets Calhoun or Texas City in Round two (likely draws).  Don't know if the winner of the Dayton PN-G game would fare up.  Dayton's defense seems to have played better against Crosby.  If Dayton or PN-G could get past round 2, they would very likely go four deep.
Don't know if this is a possibility, but....  If FB Marshall somehow gets into the playoffs (don't know if they won this weekend) that would put Elkins into division 2.  That would be a HUGE shake up in the playoff brackets.  Was talking to some of my coworkers tracking the playoff match ups, and they were talking how Elkins could play in the second string when they play Marshall this year, just to help Marshall get in so Elkins would be in Division 2.  Don't know if that scenario will end up happening, but if you were the head coach, knew you were in the playoffs, and that if your opponent beat you, you would be in the much weaker division 2, would you throw the game and rest your starters?

To watch the GRHS vs Angleton game (with an Always Believe twist) the link is at..

This is the hidden content, please

Good luck to the teams in SETX.  Hopefully yall stay healthy and get ready to make some noise in the playoffs.

Elkins is the second largest school in their district, they can't go D2. They have over 2000 kids and Marshall has  about 1330 I believe. 

Dayton could beat any of those D2 team they will face from over here in the second round except for maybe Texas City because of TC's defense and overall physical approach. 

I think you're probably right as far as the D1 aspect though. 

I think there's only really two teams that can threaten Crosby in their bid for a rematch with Cedar Park.

Magnolia is 6-1and just beat a 2-5 Brenham squad 41-7. They've already beaten CE King but were roughed up pretty good by Stratford.

The other D2 squad that could cause some issues is College Station. They have one loss to Waco but have been scoring quite a bit of points the rest of their games. 

I'm really liking SETX's chances in D2 this year. In D1 I think it's going to be difficult for teams around here to match personnel with George Ranch, Foster, Temple, Stratford, Manor and Magnolia West. 

This Vidor team is alot better than their record indicates . Kolbie Humble is a legit quarterback , I could easily see a zone read offense ( out of the shotgun) with him and Leckelt ! Ultimately , Vidors secondary will be their demise. If youre not willing to make the proper personell adjustments then youre not wanting if bad enough. IMO

El Guapo, what many fail to realize, the biggest negative in running the Slot-T as an offense is the effect it has on your defense. The defense becomes a very good run stopping team because they see it everyday. But, the kids don't see the passing game on a regular basis and when the kids are running the scout team for the defense they usually don't run very good (precise) routes and the QB does not throw it that well so the secondary suffers. It may not be personnel, it may just be a product of the system in place.

If I'm not mistaken, Nederland's three wins are the only thing that has kept 22-5A from going 0-22 the last 4 years of overall play? Oddly enough Ned probably has the best chance once again, coincidence? 

After this weeks game with NC maybe we will see if you think this holds true. Even if Crosby wins I would like your take on this. I have not seen Nederland this year. Was thinking about going to watch them against Lumberton when we have our BYE the last week.