MId County Madness Vs the Bum Phillips Bowl

Stattrax

Give me your thoughts on the name change... A lady at Neches FCU decides to push this name change, the coaches agree after years of saying no... LN finally says  ok.. BF hasn't been around long enough to care....... BP coaches at PNG for 2 years, 12-6-2 record... My sources tell me that his coaching abilitys where suspect at best, however he did coach on the NFL level.... Word is he swept Simpson almost every play during his tenure... And yes that's more than likely the fastest Indian ever... I'm Definately a tradition guy. What's your thoughts? Name recognition means absolutely nothing in this rivalry because it's been know statewide for years as MCM.... 

I VOTE MCM

Edited by Stattrax

What are the origins of the term MCM, it wasn't always called that.  I personally think we should continue to call it Mid County Madness with the Bum Phillips Trophy presented to the winner.  Keep the name the same and honor the man with the presentation of the trophy.  That is a fitting conclusion to Mid County Madness.  You can maybe even call it Bum's Trophy, that way the team that loses can always say it's the Bum's trophy for the next year.  Just my two cents.

What are the origins of the term MCM, it wasn't always called that.  I personally think we should continue to call it Mid County Madness with the Bum Phillips Trophy presented to the winner.  Keep the name the same and honor the man with the presentation of the trophy.  That is a fitting conclusion to Mid County Madness.  You can maybe even call it Bum's Trophy, that way the team that loses can always say it's the Bum's trophy for the next year.  Just my two cents.

agreed

It originally happened because of Danny Malone and Bobby August were taking shots at each other. Thats were it originated. Im guessing a PA News sports writer wrote in an article. Thats just a guess but I bet Gabe would probably know

Edited by prepballfan

What could the coaches say, the man had just passed away. I was reading that a few years back a rumor had started about someone trying to copyright the name MCM. It wasn't true, but it seems like everyone wants a piece of it or to make it bigger and better with more notoriety.  The Bum Phillips Bowl, that name isn't about the 2 schools and the players, MCM is short and sweet and tells the whole story. 

I said in another thread...I pay taxes in Groves and I'll call it what I want.

Gabe I like your stories alot.. I read all of them this morning and I love the way you word it... Nothing against Bum, I just dont know why it came to that... Halliburton dubbed it best.................... So in my mind it should be Mid County Madness, Tom Halliburton Trophy....... Where is the petition???? lol....

Tom Halliburton with The News came up with Mid County Madness in the 90s I believe and the Bum Phillips Bowl Trophy is sponsored by The News. The name of the game really has not changed. In my stories I called the game Mid County Madness and have said the teams are playing for the Bum Phillips Bowl Trophy. 

I use both terms.

Gabes a genius, everybody get on board, it's perfect

Gabe I like your stories alot.. I read all of them this morning and I love the way you word it... Nothing against Bum, I just dont know why it came to that... Halliburton dubbed it best.................... So in my mind it should be Mid County Madness, Tom Halliburton Trophy....... Where is the petition???? lol....

We shouldn't name anything after Halliburton he doesn't like either Mid County school.   As far as I'm concerned its still MCM but I have no problem name the trophy after Bum as he was a big part of the Nederland teams of the 50s and coached a couple of years at PNG .

I graduated form neither school, so my take on this might be totally irrelevant. That being said, I had not heard the name Bum Phillips Bowl until last year when FSSW was doing live lookins during the game. They actually showed quite a bit of the action. Looked like a great exciting game.

My first thought when I heard them calling it the Bum Phillips Bowl was..."What?... Don't y'all know it's Mid County Madness?"

Second thought..."I bet if it was a DFW rivalry, FSSW would get the name of the rivalry right."

For what it's worth (pretty much nothing)- I would take "Bowl" out entirely. I would go with Mid County Madness, Bum Phillips trophy.

I think the real answer is whatever the people of Mid County (I don't want to be called out by the good folks of one school for listing the other school first...LOL) want it to be. After all, it is their game, their rivalry, and their tradition, and no one else should really try to mess with it or redefine it.