Interesting article about the KKK

Growing up in Vidor (don't think less of me Hoop) when I was young @ 1955, I ask my dad if he ever thought about joining the Klan. He told me, "Hell no!  If I want to whip somebodies a$$, white or black, I want them to know who's doing it, not hiding under a sheet".  Here ends the lesson.    

I guess the Klan is alive & well, as are the Black Panthers, & no telling how many other racial/religious groups that I'm not aware of.  Again, Cest La Vie (such is life - for those of you who flunked French like I did).  

Growing up in Vidor (don't think less of me Hoop) when I was young @ 1955, I ask my dad if he ever thought about joining the Klan. He told me, "Hell no!  If I want to whip somebodies a$$, white or black, I want them to know who's doing it, not hiding under a sheet".  Here ends the lesson.    

I guess the Klan is alive & well, as are the Black Panthers, & no telling how many other racial/religious groups that I'm not aware of.  Again, Cest La Vie (such is life - for those of you who flunked French like I did).  

You know I'm a fan of yours.  I also, believe it or not, grew up in a lily white town.  Through sports, I had many friends of different races and learned at an early age we are pretty much the same inside and skin color has nothing to do with "the content of one's character."  Although I am fairly certain there was Klan activity in my hometown, my parents were educated and did pretty well and didn't know "for sure" of anyone involved.  After all, racism is at its core, rooted in ignorance.  And as far as the Klan goes, in addition to being idiots, their cowardice has them hiding their faces as well...

You know I'm a fan of yours.  I also, believe it or not, grew up in a lily white town.  Through sports, I had many friends of different races and learned at an early age we are pretty much the same inside and skin color has nothing to do with "the content of one's character."  Although I am fairly certain there was Klan activity in my hometown, my parents were educated and did pretty well and didn't know "for sure" of anyone involved.  After all, racism is at its core, rooted in ignorance.  And as far as the Klan goes, in addition to being idiots, their cowardice has them hiding their faces as well...

I like good people, I don't care what color they are.  Before downsizing got me, we had a black contractor just put in our warehouse. He had got cut from another Co. Under dubious circumstances.  Was Nam vet. Helped get him hired.  Helped him & his family until he did.  Good man!  We use to talk about race relations.  I told him we all need to forget race, and the Good people, white & black, need to be against the Bad people, white & black.   He agreed. 

That was about 26 years ago.  He called me about 4 months ago to meet him.  He gave me a $100 gift card for all I'd done for him so long ago.  This old man had tears in his eyes.  

I like good people, I don't care what color they are.  Before downsizing got me, we had a black contractor just put in our warehouse. He had got cut from another Co. Under dubious circumstances.  Was Nam vet. Helped get him hired.  Helped him & his family until he did.  Good man!  We use to talk about race relations.  I told him we all need to forget race, and the Good people, white & black, need to be against the Bad people, white & black.   He agreed. 

That was about 26 years ago.  He called me about 4 months ago to meet him.  He gave me a $100 gift card for all I'd done for him so long ago.  This old man had tears in his eyes.  

I truly believe we are getting there.  My kids and most of their friends (black and white) are truly color blind.  I don't know that racism will ever be truly eradicated, but with the next generation, I think we will be even closer. 

I truly believe we are getting there.  My kids and most of their friends (black and white) are truly color blind.  I don't know that racism will ever be truly eradicated, but with the next generation, I think we will be even closer. 

I tell you my generation with all it's problems racism will not be one of em. 

I know you're right.  As I've said before, been here in Evadale about six years. With both GK's popular, been around a lot of kids and NEVER heard one use a racial slur.  And as most know, their mascot is Rebels.  But what most don't know, the colors are Blue & Gold (dam Yankee colors).  Friend of mine said they an identity crisis lol.  Also, the school emblem is a Crest, with the flag in it.  And I've never seen a rebel flag being waved at a ball game.  

As the kids & people in Evadale aren't racist, I hope the people & media in the area will allow this little community to retain their mascot.  

I know you're right.  As I've said before, been here in Evadale about six years. With both GK's popular, been around a lot of kids and NEVER heard one use a racial slur.  And as most know, their mascot is Rebels.  But what most don't know, the colors are Blue & Gold (dam Yankee colors).  Friend of mine said they an identity crisis lol.  Also, the school emblem is a Crest, with the flag in it.  And I've never seen a rebel flag being waved at a ball game.  

As the kids & people in Evadale aren't racist, I hope the people & media in the area will allow this little community to retain their mascot.  

​i never had a problem in Evadale, although its been about 14-15 years since I spent legitimate time there. Good folks from what I remember, well fed at the bball tournaments I ventured out to. 

Hope they're allowed to keep it as well,  but somebody with nothing better to do will try to stir the pot.  By the way,  that baseball rivalry between Big Sandy and Evadale is great.  Mine graduated this year,  but I'm at least gonna try to catch these two games for sure.  If it's anything like last three years, they will get to play each other 3 times.

Edited by BS Wildcats

​i never had a problem in Evadale, although its been about 14-15 years since I spent legitimate time there. Good folks from what I remember, well fed at the bball tournaments I ventured out to. 

As I've said, some of the best folks in SETX.  You're never a stranger and they are as kind as they can be.  And REALLY support their kids which I admire and respect tremendously.  Whenever I meet someone from Evadale, I can just about guarantee they are going to be top shelf. 

Hope they're allowed to keep it as well,  but somebody with nothing better to do will try to stir the pot.  By the way,  that baseball rivalry between Big Sandy and Evadale is great.  Mine graduated this year,  but I'm at least gonna try to catch these two games for sure.  If it's anything like last three years, they will get to play each other 3 times.

A good rivalry in girls BB too.  I think it was 2 yrs ago whe my Gd was a Soph, we had a real good team.  In BS, ahead by 2, with, I think 2 sec left. BS inbound from under the net to girl out pass the 3 line.  She goes up - yep, buzzard goes off half way, nothing but net.  Went home feeling good because BS was just better that night.  

One more thing about BS.  I wish they had a football team.  For whatever reason, in most Sports around here, none of 2A schools are competitive in our District.  We breeze thru Dist, and then have to play them two outsiders, Iola & Normangee & tote a whippin.  Volleyball last year.  Did not lose a set (not sure if that's correct word) in Dist.  Seems strange to me.  Why we consistently play 3 & 4A schools (and occasionally 5A) in non-District. And most of the time win.  

At last count our Sr class has 30 kids. They do a lot with a little there.  

One more thing about BS.  I wish they had a football team.  For whatever reason, in most Sports around here, none of 2A schools are competitive in our District.  We breeze thru Dist, and then have to play them two outsiders, Iola & Normangee & tote a whippin.  Volleyball last year.  Did not lose a set (not sure if that's correct word) in Dist.  Seems strange to me.  Why we consistently play 3 & 4A schools (and occasionally 5A) in non-District. And most of the time win.  

Me to,  don't know but money may have something to do with it.

​REBgp, I need some 'free stuff." Please give me a $200 gift card. Thank you in advance!

They're too busy kicking everyone's tail in basketball.  Man they are fun to watch. 

Well BD3, I've tried to Quote you 3 times, but sometimes this phone, which is smarter than me, gets - mad, lazy, sleeps. 

To answer your plea for $200, my grandkids (all 5 - two here & 3 in Porter) all have the same physical problem.  When they approach me or my wife (almost 50 yrs) their elbows bend and their palms go out. I don't think the Med people can help.  

And the card my friend gave me, my "boss" got that.  Glad cause last time I went to Mall ended up in ICU with rashes.  Funny thing about Malls - you could take me in the woods, spin me around, and I could walk straight out. I get in a Mall & my sense of direction is gone!  Seriously.  I guess it's as close too a panic attack as I can get.  

Oh, this phone - like a guy with a Lamborghini, and doesn't know how to get it out of first gear lol

Edited by REBgp
Idiot can't spell

​Last year  my Son ASKED to go to Evadale, as it is limited open enrollment.  I was a little hesitant at first because I did not know much about the school. Honestly, the only thing that crossed my mind was the smell......

My son absolutely loved it.  A  small school has an advantage of not letting things slip through the cracks. Everyone knows everyone and they are treated with respect. The entire school is well disciplined and they make sure parents are notified immediately if there is an issue. 

I am very excited for him to be entering 9th grade there this year. I am entertaining moving to the big city of Evadale if I can find something I like.

​Last year  my Son ASKED to go to Evadale, as it is limited open enrollment.  I was a little hesitant at first because I did not know much about the school. Honestly, the only thing that crossed my mind was the smell......

My son absolutely loved it.  A  small school has an advantage of not letting things slip through the cracks. Everyone knows everyone and they are treated with respect. The entire school is well disciplined and they make sure parents are notified immediately if there is an issue. 

I am very excited for him to be entering 9th grade there this year. I am entertaining moving to the big city of Evadale if I can find something I like.

Wow, got Quote to work second try.  If you can find a place down 1131 you only smell the mill when the north wind blows, & I could smell it in Vidor anyway.  It's a gem in the woods.