State official wants Texas high school athletes tested for steroids

i dont understand what steriod testing has to do with deadbeat parents or shameing the innocent, i think it should be done to level the playing field, those "innocent little kids" should be the ones wanting testing done. for the kids that go to practice everyday and say yes sir, no sir. they bust their buts on the field and in the weight room but still cant compete with the bigger stronger kids because they are cheating, steroids might or might not be a problem in SETX but for every kid who makes it and gets a scholarship for using steriods there is his backup that keeps on making his way in the world the right way, paying his own way through college and studying to get his degree, and he gets to wonder what could have been

Great post, I guess then serial killers all have bad parents. I guess, Judas Iscariot had bad parenting for the betraying of Jesus. I believe the gosples show differently (As a child-Son of Simon - John 13:26

He was innocent then).

I guess, those single women who hold down two jobs so their kids will have something to eat are bad parents. Give me a break, next time I beat the heck out of some guy I'll telling the judge I had poor parenting. Wonder how far, that gets me?

Great post, I guess then serial killers all have bad parents. I guess, Judas Iscariot had bad parenting for the betraying Jesus. I believe the gosples show differently (As a child-Son of Simon - John 13:26

He was innocent then).

I guess, those single women who hold down two jobs so their kids will have something to eat are bad parents. Give me a break, next time I beat the heck out of some guy I'll telling the judge I had poor parenting. Wonder how far, that gets me? 

In California it will likely get you an acquittal and a settlement from the state for not protecting you.

Man, if you like it here. This is a top notch site, don't leave. If the guy is abusing his power, Cooper is a good and fair man, he'll see to it this doesn't continue. This discussion isn't a one way street. There or several different opinions, not everone is going to agree. But SE Texas has a drug problem. It isn't confinded to one school district. We have to come to some solutions and I think drug testing is expensive but great idea. Let's not bury our heads in the sand.

Guest Sports Cards

Man, if you like it here. This is a top notch site, don't leave. If the guy is abusing his power, Cooper is a good and fair man, he'll see to it this doesn't continue. This discussion isn't a one way street. There or several different opinions, not everone is going to agree. But SE Texas has a drug problem. It isn't confinded to one school district. We have to come to some solutions and I think drug testing is expensive but great idea. Let's not bury our heads in the sand.

I agree. Something needs to be done. This area is getting pretty bad with drug and alcohol problems. All the local schools, and trust me, it's not just the deadbeat parents kids doing the drugs....I'm just now at the age, mid 20's, where I can see the affect that drugs in HS had on my fellow classmates, a lot of them are not living successful lives. And the sad thing is, those unsuccessful people seem to be the first ones having kids, lol.

This is what I love about posting. Everyone intentionally misunderstands your point, takes it and makes stupid comparisons in order to discredit your opinion. You people are confusing good people with good parenting. Good people's kids do drugs, but if the parents were closer to their kids and, if they thought them suspicious, tested them themselves, instead of having the school district wipe their tail ends for them, then we might not be having this discussion. The first step towards good parenting is to get past the denial stage.

Let's say that some kids are caught. What do we do? Kick them off the team? That ought to show them. Have you provided them with any recourse except to deprive them of playing sports? Hey, go pat yourself on the back and go enjoy your football or basketball game knowing that all players are clean. Did you really do anything to stop the drug problem? Nope.....here's your sign.

To the people who like to make the apples to oranges comparisons, most serial killers were abused kids, either mentally or sexually by their parents, and/or were outcasts their whole lives.

Judas Iscarot??? what a reach.

Guest Sports Cards

This is what I love about posting. Everyone intentionally misunderstands your point, takes it and makes stupid comparisons in order to discredit your opinion. You people are confusing good people with good parenting. Good people's kids do drugs, but if the parents were closer to their kids and, if they thought them suspicious, tested them themselves, instead of having the school district wipe their tail ends for them, then we might not be having this discussion. The first step towards good parenting is to get past the denial stage.

Let's say that some kids are caught. What do we do? Kick them off the team? That ought to show them. Have you provided them with any recourse except to deprive them of playing sports? Hey, go pat yourself on the back and go enjoy your football or basketball game knowing that all players are clean. Did you really do anything to stop the drug problem? Nope.....here's your sign.

To the people who like to make the apples to oranges comparisons, most serial killers were abused kids, either mentally or sexually by their parents, and/or were outcasts their whole lives.

Judas Iscarot??? what a reach.

So what is your suggestion for dealing with our area's drug problem? Send all the parents to parenting school, on how to get the type of relationship with a 17year in which they know everything they are doing? When a kid get's caught doing steroids, give him a hug, tell him drugs are bad, and let him keep playing? Seriously, I'd like to know your suggestion.

Seriously, send them to parenting school and maybe they can pass some stupid "test" the government has dreamed up to deem them fit to be parents. It's nice to see you have no suggestions of your own. Must be a "yes" man. Just discredit my opinion and leave it at that. Just because I don't agree with you, then I must be wrong.

Do you have kids? If not, then sit down. To stop the drug problem, you have to start at the top. Where are these kids getting the drugs? Ahhh, too much money to be made on both sides of that equation, but it's a start. After the kid is kicked off the team, are we implementing a counseling program at school (another parenting responsibility dumped in someone else's lap)? How isolated that kid must be. Yeah, I know, he shouldn't have done it, but still too negative for a teenager to have to deal with. Kids need positive stimuli.

Are you really naive enough to think that catching a few kids will stop the drug problem? Please, come back and talk to me when you are armed with a better solution than random-testing drug-free kids.

...Let's say that some kids are caught. What do we do? Kick them off the team? That ought to show them. Have you provided them with any recourse except to deprive them of playing sports? Hey, go pat yourself on the back and go enjoy your football or basketball game knowing that all players are clean. Did you really do anything to stop the drug problem? Nope.....here's your sign...

well for 1, its not about the people watching being able to pat themselves on the back and enjoying the game, its about the kids playing it playing on a level playing field, and obviously you would suspend them from playing, possibly kick them off the team, but there would definately be counsoling, i dont know where you got the idea there wouldnt be, u act as if he suggested solution is to just kick the kid off the team and forget  about him...definately not. also this is about cleaning up the drug problem with ATHLETES, there are drug problems all over with kids, but the issue is cleaning it up with athletes, so drug testing the "drug free kids" as you say, is what you got to do, because you have to test whoever it is your trying to find out

Guest Sports Cards

Seriously, send them to parenting school and maybe they can pass some stupid "test" the government has dreamed up to deem them fit to be parents. It's nice to see you have no suggestions of your own. Must be a "yes" man. Just discredit my opinion and leave it at that. Just because I don't agree with you, then I must be wrong.

Do you have kids? If not, then sit down. To stop the drug problem, you have to start at the top. Where are these kids getting the drugs? Ahhh, too much money to be made on both sides of that equation, but it's a start. After the kid is kicked off the team, are we implementing a counseling program at school (another parenting responsibility dumped in someone else's lap)? How isolated that kid must be. Yeah, I know, he shouldn't have done it, but still too negative for a teenager to have to deal with. Kids need positive stimuli.

Are you really naive enough to think that catching a few kids will stop the drug problem? Please, come back and talk to me when you are armed with a better solution than random-testing drug-free kids.

You are a tad moody. I'm glad I don't have to associate with you in the "real world." As a former athlete, I do know that drug testing is a good deterrent. It is definitly not the final solution, but a good start. Basicly, your argument seems to be, Drug testing doesn't work, so let's not do anything.

Your argument goes from catching the sellers to counseling the kids after caught. Talk about sitting down, or having a better argument. I still haven't heard your solution through the sarcasm.

I for one am on the front line here trying to deter kids from doing stupid things, and I feel good about the progress we have made at my school. If drug testing helps coaches like me, who are trying their best to keep kids from doing things that hurt themselves, than I'm all for it. When I tell a kid all the bad things about steroids, a lot of time it goes in one ear and out the other......when I tell them they won't be able to participate in sports if they get caught doing it, it really rings a bell.

I have several powerlifters who actually have a great chance at winning State. The State Champion is drug tested. I feel pretty confident my lifters are drug free. I talk to them about staying clean all the time. If the state champion wasn't tested, then kids would be willing to do stupid stuff to get there. I also like knowing that my clean lifters are on a level playing field at competitions.

Again, drug testing is a start, it's not the final solution, but definitly a positive start.

Some people gripe about the world (standardized testing, drug testing for example) and do nothing but complain with all that is wrong, while others look for solutions.

No, I'm not moody, this is the way I feel. You got me dead to rights, I have no plan "B". However, this does not exclude me from disagreeing with plan "A". Htexan and Sports, I know where you are coming from and I feel something has to be done too, but I still think there are ways to find the source of the drugs and cut them off as a better deterrent than invading the rights of innocent kids. I know this is not something you want to hear, but it is the way I feel. I'm not just being argumentative. This is my last post on the subject. You know my views. I'll end it by saying going after the user to solve the drug problems is like car-pooling to bring down gas prices. It may help a little, but the price still goes up.

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    yielder
    Newest Member
    yielder